Need help identifying this set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is that the seller maybe complete honest, god only knows how long it may have sat in a shop before it was unloaded to the seller, who's not sophisticated enough to know when it was made. It's a perfectly serviceable regulator, one that will last a good long time. I hope you got it at a good price.

Have it checked out anyway. The mainspring could weaken with time sitting so long, nit defintie but a possibility, and the to adjust the IP they use spacers which vary in thickness. Also the orings may appear new but I'd replace them if you don't have a record of service. THey can shrink or become dried out while still looking good. But I'd say you have a reg that will last for many many years with regular care and lots of diving!

Thanks for all the info. I'm still wanting to find out exactly what years they were manufactured. I wouldn't think that would be too tough a question. The second stage says Oasis +.

I hooked it up to one of my tanks and it breaths great. We'll still have it all services before she uses it.

By the way, it was purchased for $150 in case anyone's curious. Not too bad for a first and second stage with octopus, console and compass in at least brand new looking condition. Even if they were shelved for a lot of years it's hard to complain. :wink:

if you give me the serial numbers on the items, we will make every attempt to find the actual manufacturing date.

I really appreciate that. I found 1990 on a sticker on the back of the bottom timer.

The second stage Oasis + has S/N P106061 on a sticker right by where the hose connects to it.

The big (sorry can't remember the number)1st stage used on the Oasis+ and Ultima is the best performing 1st stage that Sherwood has ever produced....you lucked out.

The big (sorry can't remember the number)1st stage used on the Oasis+ and Ultima is the best performing 1st stage that Sherwood has ever produced....you lucked out.

Thanks. She definitely likes them so far. We shipped them off to Scubatoys today for service. They do look brand new but when we tried them out in the hot tub the second stage free flowed a bit. We were planning to get them serviced anyway since they've been sitting in the original owners storage for so long.

I have to disagree with some posts on this site. A lot of people seem to think older reg sets are inferior because of new technology. I have yet to see anything tecnologically better on new regulators. They just use more plastic and make them look prettier. Scubapro started making G250s again because they were such a great reg and a lot of people would rather keep them than buy the newer designs.

In my house we have a US Divers Conshelf SE2, a US Divers Aquarius, a Scuba Pro G250, and now we have the Sherwood Oasis. I'm still waiting for someone to give me one good reason why I should trade any of these for a new model? :wink:

i have used sherwoods for years. probably the most durable regs on the market. may not have all the bells and whistles of newer stuff, but if serviced regularly they'll last forever.

Just joined this board---Where have i been ???? Have been using Sherwwods since 1982 in N Y Harbor waters and off south shore of Long Island down to 130 feet...in sandy shallow water pulling moorings for my friends with airbags...If anyone has ever abused scuba gear--it would be me...and These regulators have never failed me....would never even consider buying any other regulator...My wife and I are on our second set and I still have my first 2 sets from 82 as spares...back then I dove with a horse-collar and a Edge....man Im gettin old !!

I love Sherwood regs period!!! I have quite the assortment myself that I have bought from folks on Ebay. I have seen some that were brought in for service where the owner said it had been in storage for a while and the LP Seat had crystallized for some strange reason and disintegrated. I suspect that it may have been rinsed in something that it shouldn't have been. The kits are cheap and plentiful so service parts shouldn't be an issue for the foreseeable future. Anyway, the reason behind the leak from the second more than likely is the LP seat. Congratulations on your find at E-Bay. That sounds like one that I was watching, but I haven't paid more than 65 bucks for any of my Sherwood regs, although mine were purchased without the console.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom