need help with a honeymoon destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys, I'm a new diver and recently married but my wife doesn't dive.
We're looking at taking a honeymoon in March or April but I'm having a hard time finding great spots to present.

We go to Cozumel often but want to do something more special for our honeymoon.
I'm trying to remember this is a trip for US and not for me to dive, but since well be travelling for 10 ish days, Id like to get a couple of mornings or days of diving (shes happy to lay in the sun for the day so she doesnt mind if i take off once in a while)

Bali ?

If you can put up with the long flight to get there, it is still amazingly inexpensive. Split your time between Ubud (center of island, art and culture) and the coast (Amed/Tulamben) is my favorite. If your wife likes the spa experience, $20-$30 will get her a full day of exfoliation, wrapping, facial glory.

FWIW, the CDN is at almost 11,000 to the IDR. Killer exchange rate. . .

Ahhh Belize out at Palencia looks perfect. Lots of low key, affordable inns but without all the hassle. And I hear whalesharks around the full moon in early March? ?

2015 Belize Whale Shark diving package dates:

March 5th to March 14th

Belize Scuba Diving Packages, Snorkeling & Whale sharks|Splash Dive Center

It's not really "around" it's exactly. Otherwise they're gone...

Splash also has a few package options in that area.
|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize Accommodation & Hotels

Nice thing about their package deals is they provide transportation to/from the shop. When my friends went, they even picked them up at the airport and took them to the resort the first day. And back and forth daily.

Almond Beach in Hopkins seemed pretty nice but it's a little far north so the Whale Shark trips are $250. That's the problem with most resorts in that area. Belize Resort | Belize Beach Resorts - Almond Beach Haven't been there personally.

We did our diving from El Ocotal which looks like it is one beach down from Playa del Coco. The shore diving was even great there. There was a LOT of surge on Cat Island for sure but a LOT of sharks! Here is a web site you can look at about Playa Hermosa. Hope this helps.

Playa Hermosa - Guanacaste, Costa Rica

Our friends go to Ambergris Caye, Belize to dive and relax and they love it. They have been 2x. We did a LOB there and it was great but your wife would not like that.
See, I've spent a ton of time looking at Costa Rica but it just seems pricey and underwhelming. Drake Bay is too expensive. I had really good info sent to me from Rocket Frog up in Playa Coco but I don't think id be safe at the catalinas or bat island. I'm still working on my depth and I really hate surge. I'll have to learn to get over that someday.

Belize looks cool, I just can't figure out where to go. Corn Island is gonna end up costing 150-200 a night. Can anyone suggest some places in Belize off the beaten path? Preferably access to a great, personalized dive shop, preferably lots of calm and easy going sites. (and while I'm on a role... maybe access to some pelagics??) only thing that seems to suck about nicaragua is that with my bad knee,everything will be a pain in the ass. all the little flights and hiking etc.

I guess if anyone has an opinion on the Playa Hermosa/coco area in CR I'd appreciate that too.

Little corn sealed the deal with the chance to see hammerheads but knowing they're gone really takes that one unique thing it had for me. Add in having to walk everywhere all the time AND neither dive shop will hire a private DM to me and it just seems like a lot of work when I could just go back to Coz and get better service and better charm.

well, after many hours of research I think Roatan is going to win out. Ive looked at Anthony's Key before but it doesnt do it for me. But, I found a little locally owned inn in West End and their dive shop Native Sons seems right up my alley. theres lots of other stuff for us to do (even sloths in a zoo at least!) diving seems great and affordable. I initially dismissed Roatan as too much like Cozumel; busy, too much going on. but finding a quiet little hotel and a boutique dive shop will give us what were looking for. we dont have to waste 400 bucks on puddle jumper flights either which is a huge plus. im hoping that we can link up a whale shark trip from Roatan but if not, thats ok.

a little locally owned inn in West End
Chillies? You know that's a youth hostel right? Not a lot of privacy...if that's it, get the better single cabins otherwise there's no hot water either. Personally I'd find it a little too rustic for my honeymoon but you may have other priorities. Kitchen facilities are shared also if that matters. It is a good location but so are 4-5 other properties on the same block. Native Sons is a good choice though. Nice people and a single boat operation so not too crowded.

There is other options in the West End also. Many well under $100/nt. Since dives are $30/35 each you're not really going to have a lot else to spend money on either. You don't need a car - most everything is within walking distance. And cabs are cheap. We never paid more than $20 to go completely across the island. Shorter trips to AKR or West Bay were like $6. It's $25 fixed from the airport. There's a couple small food stores in the West End for basics and the trucks sell nice looking produce/fruit daily on the street. Even fresh fish. They keep it all well and covered as needed so we bought from them several times.

Due to liabilities it's not the best idea to drive on Roatan - you're fine till you hit something - like one of the suddenly coveted as a cherished family pet - mangy, flea-infested stray dogs running around. They rent scooters if you want to run around one day.

I'm not recommending this place in particular but for a little more (45-60/nt.) than you're paying at Chillies you could get a small apt. at Posada Arco Iris practically next door. With it's own deck, private bath and small kitchen. And a real bedroom. Downside of that one is the resort is fronted by the Argentinean Grille so it's not quite as relaxing as it appears till about 11PM.

Cocolobo is pretty nice, secluded yet still walking distance to town/dive shops. Posada Los Orquideas or Seagrape Plantation are options next door also. They're all located 5mins. walk from town on the east point of Half Moon Bay. I rent a house next to Cocolobo and have walked over - it's as nice as it seems. And has the wanted pool. Those properties are all on ironshore though so you'd have to walk to Half Moon Bay beach to touch sand.

nice beaches, or at least hotels with lots of sun and a pool
Honestly that's not in the West End. Half Moon Bay beach is decent on one end but it tapers to nothing on the other. Otoh, West Bay Beach two miles west is the nicest on Roatan. See what you think of Bananarama - although the cruise excursions also use their beach. Want to see a nice pool? Look at Mayan Beach Resort. Want to see an even nicer pool? Infinity Bay Resort. Neither meets your small lodge concept though...

The only resorts in the West End with pools are the Coral Vista condos (too big for you) and Cocolobo. Maybe one more I'm not thinking of currently. Seagrape might have a pool also.

Sueno Del Mar in the West End is one of few small hotels with it's own narrow beach. About a 10min. walk to town from the west side is Luna Beach Resort - it's a little nicer, has it's own beach, pool and dive operation. From there you'd walk to the West End for dinner - they only serve breakfast/lunch. The water taxi also picks up there. If you want splurge a little, they rent the smaller "Tree Houses" to honeymooning/non couples also. Couldn't hurt to be a little uphill on Roatan where you might catch a breeze. And they look really nice.

Some other options: Roatán Accomodations | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI

A few shops run day trips over to Utila on demand. Not sure who does now though. That's really going to be hit/miss for WS snorkeling though - you'll sort of have to commit with the expectation that some will be found that day. And the info relayed over the VHF - it usually is because most operators are limited to 2 drops per sighting so they cooperate with each other. We scheduled a trip with an operator that no longer does it - they cancelled on us because they said the ride back would've been too rough. They have a 40' boat - it was actually SeaGrape Dive at the time. In March...

There's ziplining on Roatan - one option is Gumbalimba Park in West Bay. We did see some wild colored birds near the road once - my buddy thought they were lorikeets? There's both Gumbalimba park and another garden/animal sanctuary near AKR. You may not like GP though as the Macaws are caged. Don't plan to make a day of the "Zoo" either - you need something to do the other 6 hours...

You can also go over to AKR and snorkel/dive with the dolphins - you don't have to be a guest to do that - just bring money. The dive is 60' on a sandy bottom and they encourage you to plant yourself so it's well within your qualifications. The snorkel is in the pens and just about anyone can do that.

If you're interested you can actually overnight trip over to the mainland to see the Copan ruins also. The Galaxy ferry runs twice a day from Dixon Cove on the south side. La Ceiba where it lands is one option for many eco tour type activities - not sure if they offer ruins excursions from there but someone might.

Do yourself a big favor and skip San Pedro Sula - fly directly into Roatan. Houston or Miami are U.S. departure points.

Bring lots of DEET in March...we only got rained on once but the next day was bad. Little suckers live under the few restaurants with tablecloths at night also.

Last edited:
That's awesome info. Thanks!! Yea. It was chillies but I've changed my mind. They had great service and information but they sometimes go ten divers to one dm and I don't like that. West Bay divers seems like what I'm after.having dug a bit deeper I think we may stay in west bay instead of West end. Maybe even Rumours or something. The wife wants a pool and a beach, past that she doesn't really care.

If only the damn cruise ships didn't come by. Bocas Del Toro still seems cool but the diving looks subpar. Corn islands are a bit better but the walking is tough on me and it's a pain in the ass to get to. Belize could still work but placencia is too far from the dive sites for my liking. I think west Roatan will tick the boxes even if it's not as laid back

Look at West Bay on Google Maps - at the right zoom level you can tell which properties are beachfront and which are near it if it matters. Switch to Earth view and you can confirm it. Nothing there is too far of a walk to the beach though - some properties are set back a 1/4-1/2 mile or so. Some because there's a larger resort in front of them also.

West Bay beach is the cruise excursion beach also if that matters. Since the port is across the island they're gone by late afternoon though.

I agree with the other community members Cost Rica is the perfect place for you. It will give you the soothing effects because there is a lot to see and to do. I am sure you will extremely like this place. Here I am sharing the name of the most popular destinations of this region. I am hopeful that you will like them all.
A. Santa Teresa
B. Uvita
C. Tamarindo
D. La Fortuna de San Carlos
E. Jaco
F. Nosara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom