Need help with DSS rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GreenDiverDown

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently got a new DSS rig. Well... it's new to me... I bought St. Elsewhere's. (It is a very nice rig and is in great condition. It's obvious that John really takes good care of his stuff. Thanks, John)

Anyway... I have been using a DSS plate for awhile but this is the first complete DSS rig... wing and plate... that I have used. Lots of great things have been said about this rig so I won't say much more except that I wasn't disappointed. The wing looks very nice and to my surprise it folds up pretty small for a inner bladder/outer shell design. I really like my single layer wings for traveling but this one... I believe... folds up significantly smaller (or better) than those! Wow!

Tobin has assured me that this rig, when mounted on a tank, should be rock solid... as solid as using a standard STA. Problem is... mine isn't. When I lock down the cam bands I have to be very careful that the rig lines up perfectly straight relative to the cylinder and once locked down I can twist the plate. I have made sure that everything is set up carefully but it still slips. Even though the cam bands don't need to be real tight with the DSS rig I have cranked mine down pretty darn good and it still slips. I can see the cam bands slide a wee bit thru the wedge blocks when I twist the plate. The pictures below show what I mean. In the first photo the plate has been twisted counter-clockwise and then clockwise. You can see how it slips and doesn't stay in line with the cylinder. The second pic just shows the rubber STA and its relation to the cam bands.

It's not a really big deal. It takes some effort to twist it. But it does move and I can't figure out why. I like my plate to sit perfectly straight on the cylinder and I can't stand anything that is even a hair crooked... I'm very compulsive, unfortunately.

The thing that bugs me is that I have to fiddle with getting the rig on straight ( it doesn't seem to auto-straighten like a standard full length steel STA) and then once mounted it appears as if it will have a tendency to get out of whack over the course of a days diving.

This is an older wing... I guess. It looks brand new but the rubber STA thingie is on a strap instead of sewn to the wing. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this just a normal thing? Do you think a new rubber STA thing would fix the situation even though this one looks pretty dag gone good? Even though the wedge blocks look fine, I'm thinking that replacing these with new ones might fix the problem.

Here are the pics... sorry...

I've been experiementing with making my own rubber thingies that normally come sewn into the DSS wing.

From what I've learned so far, if they are not sewn in to the wing, you need two at each band or else it will twist.

My guess that is your problem. I doubt the wedges are an issue.

But I could be misundertanding your problem,

Chris

I meant to say, "you need a rubber thingie at each band"

my prev said "two at each band" which of course doesn't make any sense!

I can't seem to get the pics up right. It has always worked before. I'll keep trying but I think the problem is on the SB server end.

Arg!!!!

cecilb63:
I meant to say, "you need a rubber thingie at each band"

my prev said "two at each band" which of course doesn't make any sense!

That's what my buddy said when he looked at it today.

Back
Top Bottom