Need Help with Strobe And Tray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should have said mounted to the hot shoe for the focus light instead of connected. I just assumed that you turned the focus on and off like a flash light. I may be wrong since I am such a novice. I have a OLY T 8000, with the PT-045 housing, a S&S tray and arm with the OLY UF-1 strobe. Just trying to figure out if a focus light would help and try to understand how it works.

My understanding it that a focus light will help speed up the focus in a lower light situation (deeper diving or at night). I don't use the focus light during shallow bright day dives......

Hope this helps......M

I was in the same situation 2 years ago, ie. looking for affordable strobe with sufficient power for my SP-350. After lot of googling, I bought Epoque ES230DS strobe package c/w 10 bar flex arm tray and FO cable for just slightly above 300 bucks.
Although Epoque claim the strobe is GN23 (or GN20?), but It produce narrow beam - so the supplied difuser must be used all the time which certainly reduce the GN; though I have no idea the actual GN with the diffuser but enough to light up to 1.5 m at iso 200 f5.6 1/100. No complain since most of the time I shoot macro, For a strobe w/ 2 AA battery, the cycle time is not too bad.
I am not sure either the FO cable quality problem or the sensor not sensitive; I need to set the internal flash to max. to triger the strobe - sometime still fail particularly during bright day.
Having difficult time to shoot mandarin fish in Lembeh where my strobe was triggered by other divers strobe then I spend another 100 buck to change to epoque synch. cable (not TTL) and I am very pleased.
Epoque ES230DS can be considered as a budget strobe if you can get it at discounted price as mine (not at MRP) however I will not recommend the flexible arm - not flexible and too restrictive.
I also have Inon D2000 type 3 - much better strobe compared with epoque if you can increase your budget.

SP-350 is slow on autofocus; focus light will help much. I bought two focus light from Jack, ie. Fantasea 360LED and Bigblue which is more expensive but much better quality and stronger power but soft light. I attach the bigblue onto the PT-030 housing hotshoe - very convenience and sufficient for nigh dive as a torch. In fact I almost never use my main torch during night dive.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom