Need Input!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Cayman Islands are nice, but very expensive. There are some good dive shops on Grand Cayman – Ocean Frontiers and Dive Tec (they have two locations) come to mind. Sunset house does also some tech/rebreather diving, but the rooms are so-so.
St. Lucia is one of the best beginner dive-spots I know, and the landscape is beautiful. The Sandals hotels are one of the best all-inclusive chains. Again, with Mexico I would stay south of Playa del Carmen, which is 1 hour south of Cancun. The ferry to Cozumel goes from Playa. Even if you are not a technical diver, you can take open water tours in some of the Cenotes (sinkholes). The Grand Cenote is one of the best for OW divers. Just get a good guide, stay on the gold-line, and stay within sight of the exit. The water is crystal clear in the Cenotes, 150 feet plus visibility, and when you exit Grand Cenote the blue of the entrance room is just out of this world. Mexico is also decently priced, cheaper than the US and perhaps half or less then the Cayman Islands.

you are right, Cozumel is an option. The All-inclusive resorts on the south end of the island are probably good for you both. The Coz Palace is right downtown and more of a top-end luxury resort (and maybe out of the price range you are looking at). The diving at Coz is all drift, most dive ops only do the 2-tank am dives, sometimes an afternoon or evening dive is offered depending on the dive op you go with. There are some things to do on Cozumel, like shop or drive around to the other side for beers and watching the waves. Not really alot though. Staying at an AI resort would give your wife (if not certified by then) a nice beach and spa (at some).
if you look at some of the dive travel websites you can get an idea of what each resort has to offer for price comparison -
Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations
Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures
both good places to start for info on Cozumel.

robin:D

You might want to look into San Andres Island and/or Old Providence Island. Privacy, romantic, exotic, easy great diving, nice beaches, No spa, and hard to get to would define Old Providence. A wonderful beach, great diving, spas would define San Andres.
Ciao
Tad

OK I just have a couple of more question. What do you guys think about CuraÇao? They have some of the best rates.

I really think you should hook up with a dive club and go with them on a trip.

First trip o/s USA
First dive trip
New divers
First plane trip

Looks loke alot of built in stress and a disaster waiting to happen.

If this is your first trip to dive and you are new and the wife may not want to dive, I'd have to say Key West. You can be out on the boat all day and your wife could be shopping all day. Most everybody down there speaks English (before happy hour anyway) and you don't have to worry about international hassles like passports and visas. You will have a Visa bill problem when you get back.

OK I just have a couple of more question. What do you guys think about CuraÇao? They have some of the best rates.

I have been to Bonaire, close to Curacao, and it's a long flight and, although the diving was good and they allowed unlimited solo diving, the quality of the diving did not compare to Little Cayman. Also, while Grand Cayman might be pricey, Little Cayman Beach Resort has some good package deals with 3 dives per day, drinks, and three really good meals, buffet style, healthy food, and as much as you would want to eat.

After you find out if your wife would like a dive vacation, I agree that said above, you can also consider Dominica, also called "The Nature Island of the Caribbean". I have some suggestions on where to stay and tours. Also, there is Curacao, part of the ABC islands: Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao. Lots to do there when you are not diving.

I have to agree with Key West. Easy to get to, no passport needed and plenty on non-dive stuff to do. My wife and I did our first diving there together and we have been diving together over ten years now. We chose to pay extra for private pool lesson time and it was well worth the money as my wife got the attention and confidence build up she needed. You can never get those first few dives back and you want her to feel comfortable with the experience. I only dive with my wife or solo now.

Yucatan Pat is right that Key West has a lot to offer your wife if she doesn't dive - but diving there isn't very good.

If you are staying inside the US, we like diving in Kona Hawaii with Wanna Dive Kona (Steve Frisbie). He's great - his boat only holds 6 passengers, he is an instructor and really knows his fish. In Hawaii, he's our favorite. Plus diving in Kona is great - calmer waters, often warmer than other islands.

Outside the US we love Fiji and also like Bonaire.

While we went to Fiji to get certified, I wouldn't recommend you go to Fiji until you are more experienced - and definitely bring your own gear (some rental gear there is scary!) There isn't much for your wife to do in Fiji if she doesn't dive, but if she really does love just having a great beach, she'd enjoy that. For diving you need to get off the main island of Viti Levu. Of the places we dove in Fiji, Octopus Resort probably had the most non-diving activities and it has a lovely beach with good snorkeling. I also don't think there is much for a non-diver to do on Bonaire but it definitely has more offerings than Fiji which is not commercialized.

And in all these places, the locals speak English. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom