Need suggestions - Best places to see big stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gti337

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm currently in the Philippines on an extended break from work and am looking for my next dive destination in the SE Asian region.

I've been diving and touring for the past several months in Thailand, Cambodia, and the Philippines. I'm currently thinking about moving on to Indonesia or Malasyia but thought I'd ask the group where I can see some larger schools of fish and pelagics before making a decision.

I'm not really on any kind of time table, but am on somewhat of a budget. Don't mind spending some money if it's great diving though. Prefer land based, but will also consider live aboards.

Hi,

I am currently based in Sabah (running a dive business from Kota Kinabalu).

If you are considering Malaysia then you should check out a couple of great diving destinations in Sabah (Malaysian Borneo). Both Sipadan and Layang Layang offer great wall diving with lots of fish life and pelagics. Both are often listed in the top diving sites in the world.

Sipadan has the bonus of being a nesting island for Turtles - so you see lots of Turtles during each dive at Sipadan. The main downside is you need a permit to go diving at Sipadan so when you stay at a Resort near Sipadan you won't dive there everyday.

Layang Layang has one Resort located there, plus White Manta liveaboard visit between April - May (I think White Manta may be fully booked for Layang Layang trips). Now is the Hammerhead mating season at Layang Layang - if you are lucky you might get to see some during your dives. All dives are at drop-off locations around Layang Layang atoll.

I hope this helps. Wherever you choose to go I hope you enjoy some great dives!

Thanks,

DG

Since you are in the Philippines, you should consider Palau for really big stuff. Tubbataha still should be in season in the Philippines too.

Whaleshark at Oslob.
Thrasher shark at Malapascua.
I was just in Malapascua and planned to go to Oslob, but from what I understand it is a circus with hundreds of people fighting for space and the whalesharks are not treated very well. There are pictures of people standing on the shark with a rope around its tail. With that being said, malapascua had amazing diving. 100% sightings on thresher shark dives. Multiple sharks every dive. Usually we sat and watched sharks circle a few meters away from us until we ran out of air or no deco time. I only did one Manta dive, but we saw two giant mantas. Thresher Sharks are really an amazing pelagic to watch

I was just in Malapascua and planned to go to Oslob, but from what I understand it is a circus.....
It is a CIRCUS! But if you want to see the largest fish in the world and being in Philippines then it is an option! Make your own choice and you might regret it afterwards for going there or not going there.
Not even the Mola Mola in Bali can rival the whaleshark in size!

I would love to see a whaleshark, but not under those conditions. There are many reports of the whalesharks there being injured by collisions with the boats and the total lack of control the operations have over the divers/snorklers. Again, I did not go and everything I say I have heard second hand. Unless you are going to see whales, nothing will rival a whaleshark in size and it must be quite a site.

I think they have put some kind of regulations in place and as far as i know diving is no longer permited. When i was there in february during a weekday is was pretty chilled and i snorkeld pretty much alone with three whalesharks for an hour.

Whaleshark at Oslob.
Thrasher shark at Malapascua.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Palau and Sipadan are both on the short list, trying to figure out which one is easier to get to and more economical.

Tubbataha - Having difficulty finding a LOB with available space, otherwise it would be at the top of the list due to convenience.

Just came back from a week in Malapascua and agree, the threshers are awesome. Had 100% sightings on 3 shark dives with a manta and devil ray fly-by on one of the dives. Got skunked on an afternoon manta dive and ended up watching some clown fish on Monad for 45 minutes :)

I've dove with whalesharks in Thailand, and will echo Hike's sentiments that I will not dive/snorkel under the current conditions in Oslob. After talking to some locals about how the mayor is raking it in and taking advantage of the situation not to mention the Youtube videos . . .

Flight from Manila to Palau is expensive but straight forward(3-4hrs).
Check if Cebu Pacific has cheap flight to Kota Kinabalu but you still need another flight to Tawau or a very long bus ride to Sempona. Getting the permit to dive Sipadan is another issue.
From Kota Kinabalu you can also try Layang Layang for the hammerhead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom