Need tips on keeping warm before/during/in between/after dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Google" Hotshotz" My wife is cold natured and I was dreading a dive to Bonne Terre Mo. Where the water is 58 degrees year round. We stopped into a new dive shop and they had these ice pack looking bags that through some chemical magic/possibly voodoo, heat to 130 degrees. The plan is to put one large one between her swim suit and wet suit.

they are about 30-40 each, and last for about an hour, then you just boil the thing for 20 minutes and it is ready to go again. To activate it, you just push a little silver piece of metal about the size of a watch battery. 2 or 3 would get you through the whole day...cheaper than a dry suit...but I plan on a drysuit in my future.

As as far as on the boat all the prior advice is all I know. Get dry, get out of the wind, and get covered with a jacket or other clothing.

Good luck, safe travels,

jay

We saw those at DEMA this year and bought several. They are absolutely great at keeping you warm underwater!

@Belzebub around here the water temp goes down to 32-37 Farhrenheit in winter. You're welcome in your 2 mm suit :cool2:
No thanks. I'll pass.:wink: I'm a warm water diver only. Good to 60s in the 2mm. Below that, I do have a 5mm 2 piece, but honestly don't use it that much at all.
OP was referring to getting cold in tropical waters wearing a 7mm.

You need some way to try and stay warm in between dives. If you are cold after the first dive during the surface interval you will be cold for the rest of your dives.

Many good suggestions have been given already. If you use hot water from a thermos be careful the water isn't too hot or you might burn yourself. Test the water to make sure it's comfortable temp before pouring it down the wetsuit. Trust me, I've learned the hard way.

Dry towels on a boat are a must. Once dry it is often helpful to use a parka or any other jacket to stay warm. For local cold water dives I also include a hot water bottle that can be filled with warm water. A gel pack that can go in the microwave would work too but the boat has to have a microwave. Almost all California boats offer hot coffee and tea, and the hot water for the tea is what we use for the hot water bottle. Also, drinking the hot drinks helps warm up as well.

Another subject often discussed. Lots of good advice about technological stuff for warmth. My only advice is to be logical according to the situation. Heater on in the car between dives, for example. A big thing for me is keeping warm prior to the first dive--even to a point of uncomfortably warm. I'm not too worried about heat exhaustion walking a distance to a shore dive when I know the water is maybe 50F or less. And of course in between dives. Often (on a boat?) it's best to shed the top of the 7 mil wetsuit , get dry and cover up. Other times it's best to keep everything on and get back in the water shortly--due perhaps to wind. It all boils down to logical. For cold time of the year checkout dives, we have a heater in the dive truck for the students (and for us!). Putting hoods and gloves in that helps a lot.

Another vote for the Surf Fur jacket. Can be put on right over your soaked wetsuit, stopping the wind and warming you up. Best $130 I ever spent. Google their website and you'll have it in a couple of days.

Then get a dry suit.

I have to also agree that Surf-fur coat rocks. I own three. My son uses his for his surf contests. He puts the coat on over his wet suit to warm up in between his heats. When he is done with the contest he reverses the coat and now he can stay warm and dry again.

You can do the same, just put the coat on over the wet suit between dives and after all your dives you can just reverse it and now you will be dry, and toasty!
My wife and I love this coat. The polar fleece material is water proof yet it is also breathable. Very practical coat you will use it for more than just your boat dives!

actually, the cooling due to evaporation effect of lycra is quite problematic.... you will get colder first...

You may get a bit cooler first, but lycra dries fast in the sun. You ever touch a black car or car interior in the tropics. You'll heat up fast. 1st hand experience. Also, you'll be alot more likely to climb out of the wetsuit during SI if it's easier to take off and put back on.

Hi there - I get cold very quickly even in my 2x 7mm wetsuit in tropical waters! Need all the advice I can get in keeping warm in order to enjoy my dives (especially the 2nd/3rd dive within a day). Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
There is no reason for you to be cold in warm water dives. Unless your dive suit is way too thin OR does not fit.

Way too thin would be 1mm or less.

I vote for "does not fit".

A wetsuit works by severely limiting the amount of "new" water that hits your body during the dive. That means it needs to be snug everywhere and tight around all openings.

I have always used a custom fit suit (a 7mm shorty) and have never been cold. I routinely see shivering divers using 2 and 3 layers of sloppy suits. If water can get in, you WILL be cold.

I suggest your first step is to closely examine how well your current suit fits. You can accomplish this at home by suiting up and splashing about in the tub & shower with various combos of warm and cold water. Can you stand in the shower and not feel cold water trickling down your back? What happens if you slip into a cold tub? Do you get a shot of cold up your legs? Or your arms?

You can accomplish this at home by suiting up and splashing about in the tub & shower with various combos of warm and cold water. Can you stand in the shower and not feel cold water trickling down your back? What happens if you slip into a cold tub? Do you get a shot of cold up your legs? Or your arms?

This is starting to sound like the "How do you know if it's been too long since your last dive?" thread. If we can work in fins, mask, and reg (even if the tank has to sit out on the floor), I'm all in. :)

My wife has the same issue. In 80 degree water she wears a 7mm, one pc, back zip by Harvey's. She is tall and could not find one off the rack so Harvey's will make a custom fit one. Totally worth it her's fits like a semi-dry. In addition she will wear a hooded 3mm vest over the top. Many people use these heated shirts: Thermalution Heated Undersuit -70M (Shortsleeve) and swear by them. I dive with two people who wear them under their dry suites. Of course a dry suit is an logical step. Been awhile since we looked by Mares made some nice tropical weight drysuits for women.

If you are getting cold when you get in the water, it does not fit or it is not thick enough. If you are renting gear, you might want to drop a few $$ and buy your own wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom