Need tips on keeping warm before/during/in between/after dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My freind is January had some of the hot shotz menitoned above. She put one inbetween her wetsuit and swimsuit. It got very hot. Their website say 130 degrees. She was left with a big red welt for a couple days. So if you do use it would make sure you can get them out quickly. She will not use them again.

For me a jacket does me fine once im back on the boat.

My wife uses a shower to prefill her wetsuit with hot water before, between and after dives!
She claims its her best idea ever! but it has made a big difference for her and she is always cold.

I used to be the same way. I switched to diving dry and absolutely enjoy my diving 100x more.
Someone already recommended the sur-fur, which I also bought prior to my dry suit. It's great for chili surface intervals, but my dry suit has really changed diving dynamics for me.

But guys, let's be realistic here. If OP needs 2x 7mm in tropical water, I think most of the trick above don't work. He/she really need either a drysuit for wetsuit heater. I am assuming OP already wearing a hood

Sur coat only help on surface, not in a dive. Hot shower then dry off works really well, but on the 2nd dive, you need to put on that cold wet wetsuit, which cold your body down enough to feel cold on the dive.

either a drysuit for wetsuit heater.

...or both, and more. I can confirm that heating alone isn't enough... I was starting to shiver yesterday on dive #2, in a drysuit, while 60W of warmth from a heated vest was frying my skin. Heat from the outside, loss of body heat from the inside, my skin sandwiched in the middle and suffering. Just using a heater doesn't eliminate the need for addressing other deficiencies in thermal protection (like, in my case, probably upgrading gloves and hood, and drinking something warm just before and between the dives).

But guys, let's be realistic here. If OP needs 2x 7mm in tropical water, I think most of the trick above don't work. He/she really need either a drysuit or wetsuit heater. I am assuming OP already wearing a hood...
I think so too. It's possible that the wet suit they were using was such a poor match for their body shape that this was drawing all the heat right out, but if that isn't the case I think they need to go pretty much all the way to a dry suit or electric heater.

People differ remarkably in how cold they get and how fast. On the dive in Hawaii with the Russian girl who needed two 7mm suits to last 30 minutes there was at least one person diving in just shorts and t-shirt. And the 7mm suits seemed to fit her pretty well.

If you are really that cold I would like the others suggest a drysuit. I know drysuits are not inexpensive but neither are boat coats, heated wetsuit vests, or any good fitting wet or semi dry suit (keep in mind a semi dry is nothing but an expensive wet suit) By the time you try all the other options you will be at the price of a drysuit anyway so why not start there. Last summer I was diving with a group from my local dive shop most I haven't meet yet. I had all my gear set up and my undergarments on and the drysuit unzipped hanging around my waist. This "voicetress character made it a point to announce to everyone else that "I must have thought that we were diving in Antarctica the way I was dressed". I just shrugged off the remark and smiled. The water was in the mid 50's this particular day, Mr. voicetress managed one 30 minute dive because the water was so cold, I did two one hour dives and was perfectly comfortable. My point being is if you are cold get the proper exposure protection that will make you feel comfortable. Diving should be fun and there is no fun in being cold.

Back
Top Bottom