Neoprene Allergy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheStosh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Neoprene Allergy – Its has been discussed many times, but I’d like to centralize the information on one thread with some consolidated / informative replies, not just a bunch of “I suffer too” posts, or “maybe it is something else” posts. Please reply only to the subject of neoprene allergy diving options. Thanks a lot!

Neoprene polychloroprene is an extremely versatile synthetic rubber.
(not neoprem or neopreme or neopren or neopreen neoprean)

My wife and I recently completed our open water certification. Unfortunately she appears to have a severe allergy to neoprene. It looks like a "contact dermatitis" type of reaction She can dive in it fine, but later in the evening her whole body will begin to break out in a rash. This occurs in a swimming pool, river, and even in the Fresh water springs in Northern Florida. She gets the rash over the whole body if she wears the whole wet suit or if she only wears boots and a neoprene goggle retainer. It is just worse wherever she has any material in contact with her skin. It is almost like the neoprene (or chemical accelerants) get in the water and then get held to the skin by other materials like the BCD.

She can swim in a regular pool or lake with no gear and no problems. Toss in scuba gear and the rash shows up. Many other divers diving beside her have zero problems. She is a fair skinned redhead, so this allergy is not a surprise. We even suspected that it might be a form of heat rash, but we are pretty sure it is an allergy. By the way she uses latex gloves all the time with no problems. She has had problems in the past with neoprene knee brace and neoprene gloves. However, simply carrying around dry neoprene (such as my gps in it’s soft case) doesn’t seem to bother her.

Benadryl and steroids and hydrocortisone put her back to normal after about a week, but that is no way to enjoy the sport. It is also dangerous to keep re-exposing her to allergies. She cant dive when on the Benadryl because it makes her drowsy.

Several people have suggested getting “patch” tested. However, our local allergy clinic can only do test for latex and black rubber. Does anyone know where a patch test can be ordered? They said that if we could find one, they could administer it.

Also, what are her options for dive gear? The lyrca dive skin and socks did not help at all. I have heard of some people using creams on their skin before diving. This seems like it would be a big hassle. I have also heard some divers mention the wetsuits with the gold colored liners or a trilaminate suit. Any luck here? The only other option I have heard is dry suits or no suit if it is warm enough.

Any other information not previously elaborated in the following links would also be appreciated:

http://www.scuba-doc.com/otherderms.htm
http://www.scubaboard.com/t13365.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t47587.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t47116.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t39279.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t24111.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t15916.html

These are extracts frome somewhere. I'm sorry I don't have the sources...

Allergic Contact Dermatitis
Although often erroneously referred to as "latex allergy," allergic contact dermatitis (ACD) is a common response to the processing chemicals (i.e., thiurams, carbamates, thioureas, thiazoles) found in rubber products. These chemicals can be used in the production of nitrile, neoprene, and natural rubber medical gloves. Other chemicals commonly used in healthcare settings such as antiseptics, adhesives, disinfectants, and resins can also produce allergic reactions. Known as a Type IV (or delayed) allergy, ACD is an immune-mediated inflammation of the skin that can also involve the fingernails. In contrast to a Type I latex allergy, ACD is localized to the skin (Table 1). Symptoms can take anywhere from minutes to several hours to develop and can persist for weeks. Whether individuals develop ACD is dependent upon individual susceptibility, exposure history and the allergenic potential of the chemical(s). While not life-threatening, if left mismanaged or untreated, ACD reactions can cause permanent damage to the patient/user's skin. Therefore, an accurate and complete diagnosis is essential.
The diagnosis of ACD should be based on symptoms (Table 1), medical history, and a positive skin reaction to test chemicals (known as patch testing). The patch test is typically conducted by a qualified clinician using a standard series of test allergens on the upper back. The patches are applied for 24 to 48 hours, and the skin examined 24, 48, 72, and 96 hours after the patches are removed. Red and inflamed skin under the patch is indicative of an allergy to the applied chemical. While not a perfect method, patch testing is a valuable tool in identifying chemical allergies, particularly when combined with a detailed medical history and symptom survey.

==============================================

Neoprene. Although this term has previously been used at times to describe the active component in natural rubber, it is currently used to describe polychloroprene, a petrochemical derivative used in a synthetic rubber. Individuals can very occasionally manifest allergic reactions to neoprene-containing synthetic rubber. These reactions are generally ascribed to accelerant compounds used in the hardening of the synthetic rubber and are usually manifest as a contact dermatitis reaction (see enclosed abstract).

Am J Occup Ther 1998 Jul-Aug;52(7):573-8
Neoprene splinting: dermatological issues.
Stern EB, Callinan N, Hank M, Lewis EJ, Schousboe JT, Ytterberg SR.
Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, School of Medicine, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
55455, USA.
Occupational therapists are expanding their use of custom and commercial soft splints fabricated from neoprene (polychloroprene), but little has been written regarding dermatological issues associated with this material. Skin contact with neoprene poses two dermatological risks: allergic contact dermatitis (ACD) and miliaria rubra (i.e., prickly heat). Allergic reaction to neoprene is generally ascribed to the accelerants used to manufacture the man-made rubber, specifically thiourea compounds and mercaptobenzothiazole (MBT). Symptoms of neoprene-related ACD include itching, skin eruptions, swelling, and hemorrhages into the skin. Miliaria rubra creates small, red, elevated, inflammatory papules and a tingling, burning sensation. Although neoprene hypersensitivity is rare, its incidence may grow, as neoprene becomes a more commonly used material. It is recommended that therapists screen patients for a history of dermatological reactions to neoprene or other materials containing thiourea compounds or MBT and educate patients to discontinue splint use if dermatological symptoms develop. Therapists are also encouraged to notify splint manufacturers regarding all ACD reactions.

Hi TheStosh,

Nice report.

From what you have said, you wife is not just suffering "contact dermatitis" type of allergy. Your report indicates a delayed type but this can also become a type I immediate type and lead to an anaphylactic type of reaction on rare occasion. It sounded like you reported that any contact can lead to a rash in other parts of her body...this is not just contact type allergy.

Some "dive skins" have a barrier membrane sandwiched between the lycra materials. This traps water like a wetsuit but does not insulate. If you can find one of these skins, try having her wear T-shirts, warm-up pants etc, to create a layer of fabric UNDER the membrane. This will trap warmed water and the membrane will slow its migration to the environment. It's not perfect but can work. My understanding is that these skins are approximately equal to a thin wetsuit.

I have one that I use in the Winter here in South Florida. The water temperature gets into the low 70s or high 60s. It is usually enough for me although I don't usually need a suit until about 74 degrees.

If she is diving the tropics, then the suit may be all that is necessary. Slightly cooler water can be done with the layers I described.

Good luck.

Laurence Stein, DDS

Has she tried scuba in a pool without a wet suit? i.e. no neoprene.

She might want to try a shell dry suit of a material that does not cause a reaction. Inside a good suit you have complete control over what touches your skin.

You might want to check this site and the product. It is used for testing (among other things) Neoprene allergy.

http://www.truetest.com/templates/24.html

Maybe you can give this info to your allergy doctor.

Larry Stein

pipedope:
Has she tried scuba in a pool without a wet suit? i.e. no neoprene.

She might want to try a shell dry suit of a material that does not cause a reaction. Inside a good suit you have complete control over what touches your skin.

She was in the pool without a wetsuit. I guess there is enough residue in the water from other classes using wetsuits to affect her. The even do a complete change of the pool water every couple weeks.

Laurence Stein DDS:
You might want to check this site and the product. It is used for testing (among other things) Neoprene allergy.

http://www.truetest.com/templates/24.html

Maybe you can give this info to your allergy doctor.

Larry Stein

I have contacted this company. I will post any information I find out and results if we are able to get the test.
Thanks,
- Stosh

Hi just trawling the biggest library in the world and found something that might help me out ... Suffering from the same contact rash brought on by using a wetsuit (kitesurfer) ... Was fine till about two years ago ... using an old suit up till then ... Now every time i go out i get terrible rash all over ... Even tested the theory in Fresh Water at the weekend on an inland lake .... Never had a problem till two years ago ... what causes these allergigies to develop .... really don't want to consider giving up my favorite past time ... but can't look forward to going out when the potential for this to happen is always at the back of my mind !!! Really getting to desperation point and considering finding something i can only do on dry land .... which would waste the best (free) two thirds mother nature has been good enough to bestow on us ... All advice greatly appreciated

Haven't gotten a rash but I get real itchy on a really sensitive part of my body. Anyone else experience this? I use a cortisone salve to relieve.

I found this board/thread when I googled neoprene allergy. I wore a swim belt made of neoprene from H20 Audio that holds my IPod, completely over my swimsuit (I'm a female) on Saturday (second time I wore it) and I broke out in hives/rash/all-get-out-itchy.

I broke out only in the area where the swim belt was worn and a little up from there (which the particles must have traveled to.) I didn't break out in areas where I used more soap in my shower immediately after the swim. H20 Audio says this allergy is rare, but it happens, and I'm sending the belt back. I have not had a problem with dry neoprene (a laptop sleeve that I have now and Walkman holder years ago.)

I am letting it heal on it's own, with occasional 100% pure aloe vera, and I continue to clean the area. Not itching it is the challenge, because it is extremely itchy.

The fact that the neoprene made it through my swimsuit into my skin is a bit scary, and indicates how potent it is.

Rather than look at it as a curse, I look at it as my body telling me how toxic this material is to me. And I thank my skin for reacting, to let me know that I should stop using it.

Obviously skin is porous and this substance is getting inside my body through my skin. YUCK-O.

Just wanted to post this as a sympathy post!!! :)

I'm not allergic to rubber or anything else like this.

I'm going to ask my friend who's a master formulator if there is some type of natural ingredient that I can use topically to draw out the neoprene particles that have permeated already.

I think of it as .. like invisible cactus needles .. and if any haven't entered my blood stream yet, I want them out!

As I mentioned, the neoprene permeated my swimsuit, obviously, if it can do that, then it has the ability to easily enter into my more porous skin/body, it's not just a surface irritant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom