Neoprene Allergy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I want to provide some firsthand experience with a neoprene allergy. For 7 years, I was a diver in the U.S. Navy. Of course, we wore neoprene wetsuits on almost every dive. BTW, I was 19 when I started diving and dove last when I was 28. During that period -- I had no allergy to neoprene! Oddly enough, as I have gotten older - now 38 - I have developed allergies to pollen, some foods, and neoprene. How I discovered the neoprene allergy was interesting. From what seemed out of nowhere, I began getting a rash on my face, arms, legs, and hives in other general areas. The doctor performed a thorough work up, but wasn't able to locate that irritant. One day, I got rid of these old neoprene pads I had on my office desk to rest my elbows upon -- and like a miracle from heaven the rasj disappeard. To confirm, I reintroduced the pads to my skin, and the rash returned.

I seem to recall my LDS talking about a new, non-neoprene wet suit they will be getting soon. I don't recall who the manufacturer was, but I do remember that they are one of the major players.

PM me if you would like me to find out more information.

I dive (in warm water) in an Australian product called Shark Skin. It's supposedly equivalent in warmth to a 3mm wetsuit, but without neoprene (and its inherent buoyancy characteristics). It also dries quickly and feels good on the skin as the inside is a fleece material. As far as I know, you can't buy them outside of Australia, but Fourth Element appears to manufacture a similar product.

I am curious regarding remedy and treatment. I have been to the urgent care and tried creams, anti-biotics, calamine lotion, anti-histamines like benedryl and claritin but nothing seems to really work miracles. In fact, at first when I thought the rash was a bacteria like common athletes-foot and used lotrimin on it the rash it became 10X severe resulting in watery blisters and open sores.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to speed recovery or am I fated to wait this out and let nature run it's course. I'm hesitant to pay more $$$ to the doctor who will most likely run me through a gauntlet of tests to confirm what I already know and possibly prescribe me something that is useless or even make the rash fester.

As of now, the rash is very slowly subsiding daily, still very swollen and itchy and the only thing that seems to help is applying ice or cold compress throughout the day.

Ok, so I tried to take your advice and let it pass on it's own but let me just say it itched and swelled so bad I would have committed murder to get the remedy, ok, not true but I seriously had to try something. So...

I just wanted to share what DID work for me. First I only applied a small portion to the cream to the edge of the rash just in case it had adverse effects and then checked it a couple hours later and it was like a miracle, the whole area where I had applied the cream was several shades lighter and the swelling was almost completely gone. Over the next 24 hours the rash is almost gone and no more itching. Last time this rash took weeks to go away...this time only a few days. This is a prescription steriod cream but I just wanted to share just in case it can help someone else. And of course, always check with your doc before taking any prescription drugs. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom