Neptune full face report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a general report on my neptune II full face mask so far:

Vision= EXCELLENT which is why I bought it. 2x a regular mask
Equalizing = not so good, working on it.
warmth=Excellent.

The mask tends to buffer or vibrate when looking down...some pressure deal..anyhow the Nira 2nd stage reg has a built in trim valve that cuts the flow down to compensate.

recommendation=PURCHASE THE open air valve so you dont waste tank air on the surface!

bmuise once bubbled...
Just wanted to give a general report on my neptune II full face mask so far:

Vision= EXCELLENT which is why I bought it. 2x a regular mask
Equalizing = not so good, working on it.
warmth=Excellent.

The mask tends to buffer or vibrate when looking down...some pressure deal..anyhow the Nira 2nd stage reg has a built in trim valve that cuts the flow down to compensate.

recommendation=PURCHASE THE open air valve so you dont waste tank air on the surface!

I agree with your report...
I had the opportunity to play with one of these masks last night.
I like how it fits comfortably on your face...you just have to make sure it is on straight!
As for equalization, it took a few minutes, but I was finally able to figure out a good position for the nose plugs, but also found, that yawning was a much easier way to equalize, and with the FFM, much easier to achieve, than with a mouth regulator.
Vision was fantastic! I like the full view!

Also, was able to check out the Ocean Reef digital communication system. Very nice!

I have not tried any other FFM, so I at the moment, I can make any comparisons, but if someone were to ask for a reccommendation, I would say the Ocean Reef is a very strong competitor!

Happy Diving!

I own a Neptune II. Also absolutely LOVE it. It took me several pool sessions to get used to the whole thing. Now that I have it set up correct equalizing is easy.

My only problem right now is getting used to it with a hood on.

I was in the Ohio River 5 weeks ago and finally had a nice experience with it wearing a hood too.

The bad thing is that I can't dive this summer or fall.

I received some training on that mask a while back, and may eventually purchase one, but it was definitely an enlightening experience, that is for sure.

Travis

I have one and I am willing to sell it. If you are interested contact me via email.

On the Neptune FFM. I use the AGA mask which is excellent but the only FFM I've ever used. I've heard good things about the Cressi also.
Thanx for sharing.

The Ocean Reef Mask was an Italian gas mask, modified for diving. The regulator isn't a particularly good reg. It sits a considerable distance out in front of the face which causes several problems. One, hydrostatic pressure, when in the face down position, it tends to freeflow, so they put two regulator adjustments to try to solve this, the standard dial a breath and the left-right smoke shifter restrictor valve on the bottom. Look up, feels like you're sucking through a straw. Then you have the "dive/surface" thing on the front, I have yet to figure out what that thing does. Try to use it for photography, can't suck a camera up to your face. The mask is held together by a single band, which also has the tabs for the QD balls. You're gonna break one of these tabs if you dive the mask any length of time. Break the band and the mask literally falls apart. The equalling posts, don't work for me, maybe for others they work well. The work of breathing with the surface breathing valve is rediculous, just look at the little holes you're breathing through.

All in all, this mask reeks of cheap... Now, if you've had a "good" experience with this mask, try an AGA (Interspiro Divator MKII/US Navy MK20) and you'll see what I mean. Just make sure you put one on properly. People who say the AGA isn't comfortable, don't know how to put one on. Check out www.agamasks.com Best thing is, the price is comparable...

i would like to own one... if your selling one email me at leenash23@hotmail.com or aol im me at LeeNash23

i never check the forums.. just signed up for this thread

It sounds like much of the review is being posted by people who admit limited or no use of other full face diving equipment.

Over the years, I have used the AGA, the DSI Exo, 18B, Superlite 17b and Superlite 27b. Out of about 800 dives over the years, over half were using full face equipment.

I tested the Neptune on a weekend of diving and was happy to give it back.

In the light diving mask group, I would not consider the Neptune to be comparable to the AGA, Poseidon or Exo which are light commercial grade units. Rather, the Neptune is an attempt to compete with these by being low cost with probably a nice margin for the LDS.

As for the others in this group. The EXO is a nice unit, but I found it shakes a bit on exhale. This was an early EXO so I am sure there has been some refinement. The AGA is the proven machine having been used for many years. The Poseidon is an evolution of the AGA with a better proven 2nd stage and refined mask design. Nothing really wrong with the AGA, but refinement can make it better.

Given the cost difference and if cost is an issue, get the AGA. If you are willing to spend a couple hundred more, get the Poseidon.

For those of you with whom money is not a real issue and you dive in cold water, get the DSI 18B --- you will never have to buy another one and yes, it can be dived with scuba.

The Superlite 27b just rocks but it will require some knowledgable assitance in donning it. (it also makes a nice display in your den when not in use for those that always wanted a Mark V helmet for display. Afterall, a pristine Mark V will cost you about the same $$$)

On a more serious note, if you are planning on going full face, talk to and buy your unit from a dealer that sells a range of full face equipment. If they only sell the Neptune, their real knowledge of this type of equipment is questionable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom