Neptune Memorial Reef Dive and BBQ 1/13/08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, My name is Jim. I am the project manager of Neptune Memorial Reef.
Thanks a million for all the feedback on the reef! Thank's Tom for letting me know about the missing mooring buoy! I've ordered a replacement and should be back in place in a week or so.
I'm planning my next trip to the site Friday and will check out the buoy and I believe the broken column you saw was intentional. It is part of the "Ruins" look of the site and the columns in the sand are anchored into the seabed with 1 inch steel rods driven 7 feet into the bottom. I will let you know if it is otherwise.
You'd mentioned the theory that the damage had been done by an anchor and that has been, and remains, a huge concern for us. We now have 16 permits for mooring buoys but only 5 are anywhere near the current structures. We have submitted applications for enough mooring buoys so that they will be spaced every 200 feet! I the meantime, please tell everyone you know that if they are going to anchor there to please stay well clear of the structures and pay very close attention when they are hauling thier anchors. If you are on the site, maybe you could offer to let newcomers tie off to your stern.

I will monitor this site regularly. If you have technical questions, recommendations, observations of just BS to share, please let me know.

See you there.
Cheers!
Jim

HIya Jim!
Thanks for the update and the info, and glad you found this thread! Looking forward to diving Neptune some day.

Hey Aquatic Ventures...
Are you still planning to do the Dive Trip to the Neptune Memorial Reef next sunday, January 13th??? I'm very interested :scubadive...but I would like to know how's your schedule for this trip...

TommyinMiami,

I see by your pictures that you knew this project when it was still the Atlantis project. Nice to see that the guys that started it were able to make it happen. And 16 acres total?! Awesome...I can't wait!

It was a nice project when we started it. Unfortunately you will never see the 16 acres as we were literally forced from the project by our wonderful new partners at Neptune. The construction yard is closed, emplyoees gone and vision for completion non existant.

Don't worry Carolyn, the entire 16 acre project will be completed.

From the outside, it does look like we have stopped working on the project but if you were at the site or in our corporate offices you would know that the truth is quite the opposite!
We learned lots from the design, construction and deployment of our first phase and, along with some new "high powered" executives, are investing in unimaginable man hours to be certain that we have addressed all issues, such as safety, longevity, environment and economy, before we continue.

In the mean time, we are upgrading all our mooring and marker buoy systems and will have 3 new mooring buoy locations closer to the site installed in the next couple weeks.

Stay tuned, South Florida WILL be the home of the largest man made artificial reef and display of underwater art in the world!! While you wait, enjoy the extraordinary Neptune Memorial Reef that is already in place and adding new LIVE inhabitants daily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom