Neptune or bust . . . Bust!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreckedinri

Contributor
Reaction score
Tiny state in the northeast corner of the U. S. of
# of dives
Tried to hit the Neptune Saturday AM but with the rollers and the wind on our bow we bagged it and headed back in the bay. Had a diver aboard with a less than cast-iron stomach and didn't want to have him chumming so we ran over to the calm conditions of the Cranebarge south of Dutch I. Put a couple guys on the wreck at about slack water. They came back with a report of crap vis and fine sediment/silt covering everything which, when disturbed, created a zero vis silt-out. I was dressed and ready to roll till they came back with the vis report. Harry saved me the trouble of splashing by tossing the hook at the end of his dive. Was still a good day to run the boat even without getting in.

Dennis

wreckedinri:
Tried to hit the Neptune Saturday AM but with the rollers and the wind on our bow we bagged it and headed back in the bay. Had a diver aboard with a less than cast-iron stomach and didn't want to have him chumming so we ran over to the calm conditions of the Cranebarge south of Dutch I. Put a couple guys on the wreck at about slack water. They came back with a report of crap vis and fine sediment/silt covering everything which, when disturbed, created a zero vis silt-out. I was dressed and ready to roll till they came back with the vis report. Harry saved me the trouble of splashing by tossing the hook at the end of his dive. Was still a good day to run the boat even without getting in.

Dennis
Dennis we did about as well as you. The weather looked lousy for Saturday but the forecast was for NE winds so we took my friend Al's boat down to Falmouth. We thought that the cape would block the breeze and we could dive the Port Hunter.
Well, when we cleared Green Pond the wind was really blowing and straight out of the east. We bagged it and I ended up changing the oil and zincs on my boat when I got home. Luckily I got over to Castle Hill on Thursday night with Ted and Chris and had a great dive because that was it for the weekend.

sean22:
. . . Well, when we cleared Green Pond the wind was really blowing and straight out of the east.

Hi John,
Not many places to hide when it's blowing out of the east.:(

sean22:
Luckily I got over to Castle Hill on Thursday night with Ted and Chris and had a great dive because that was it for the weekend.

Was indeed a great dive!

And yup... we got beaten around on Saturday too. We went out with my buddy Earl and tried to do the Annapolis, but we got out there to find 4-5 footers, and a raging current and one of our buddies (name withheld out of pity :D) was seasick so we bagged it.

We ended out going back and diving the west side of the middle breakwater (outside) at the Harbor of Refuge which was nice and sheltered from the east. Vis outside the breakwater was a good 25 ft. Then we went inside the harbor of refuge and did the Samson. Unfortunately ThatsSomeBadHatHarry had a reg failure so he missed the dive on the Samson.

RIOceanographer:
Was indeed a great dive!

And yup... we got beaten around on Saturday too. We went out with my buddy Earl and tried to do the Annapolis, but we got out there to find 4-5 footers, and a raging current and one of our buddies (name withheld out of pity :D) was seasick so we bagged it.

We ended out going back and diving the west side of the middle breakwater (outside) at the Harbor of Refuge which was nice and sheltered from the east. Vis outside the breakwater was a good 25 ft. Then we went inside the harbor of refuge and did the Samson. Unfortunately ThatsSomeBadHatHarry had a reg failure so he missed the dive on the Samson.
Chris
There is another barge in the Harbor of refuge that makes for a good "blowout" spot. It is right in the middle of the "U" formed by the center wall. If you look on a chart you will see a wreck symbol. It is a square barge about 80' long in 25' of water.

wreckedinri:
Hi John,
Not many places to hide when it's blowing out of the east.:(
No, there are not. In the past we would have gone up and done one of the Frigates or transpots in the bay as a muck dive. But, with the Hostile environment that exists between the Sport Diving community and the local Archaeology zealots, it's just not worth the hassle. If you dive them, they automatically assume you are "looting" or disturbing what they consider to be their exclusive resource.

wreckedinri:
Had I known that it was going to be so strong out of the east I may have headed to the Longstreet in CC bay. Great for bugs and fish.
Darn! We could have tried that, we were already on the cape.

well, up here in the northern area we took the boat out to great egg rock
(42° 33'53"N - 070° 44' 20"W) on saturday.
we tucked in close to get protection from the wind and had a great dive. Cooked up some lobsters and pork ribs and corn on the cob on the boat. It was great!
Oh, the dive...
REALLY good visibility, good lobster hunting. Lots of strong surge, but it was fine.

sean22:
Darn! We could have tried that, we were already on the cape.
There is also the Catherine Marie, a little Eastern rigged dragger about 4 miles NE of Sandwich that may have been do-able if you were in the neighborhood. If you are interested in trying for it some time and you need the #'s, let me know.:wink:

Dennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom