New BP/Wing owner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am still trying to figure out the best weight system to use with BP/harness.

In OW class... it was a bit of a problem.

If you wear the weight belt on the outside of the harness (you are instructed to remove your weight belt and replace at surface),
it can be a bit of a challenge removing the weight belt and reinstalling it AND getting the weight belt up high enough to not want to slip off. Not an easy task with the BP harness rig I found.

If you wear it INSIDE the harness (no longer ditchable weight).... you cannot remove and replace it without first removing the BP/harness.. and then what do you do with the BP/wing floating about while you are struggling to put your weight belt back on. Not a good clean don/doff in my opinion. I suppose you could put an arm through the harness to use it as floatation, and to keep it from drifting away.

So..... what I decided to do was wear the weight belt on the outside of the harness..... then I installed a clip on the belt, so that once the belt was taken off... I could clip it off to the harness.
This then allowed me to remove the harness AND weight belt together, and then reinstall the BP/harness, unclip the weight belt, and reinstall the weight belt over the harness. It took some practice to get it down. But it was a solution. Sort of.

I also purchased a harness DUI weight system. Problem with that weight setup... is that you can not remove the weights and reinstall them in the water. You have to get out of the water to reinstall the weights (lanyard, threading fun). This again really does not work if you have to take a class where you have to remove and replace your weights in the water.

I think now.... the best weight setup may be the Halcyon integrated weights that attach directly to the harness. The only problem I see here... is the potential for the weights to fall out/off during BC removal and replacement.

It is probably not ever necessary to remove and reinstall your weight system in the water.... but for classes that require it....
I still am looking for the ideal weight setup to use with a BP and wing.

Would really like to hear others who have a solution with regard to removal of weight/BC and reinstall in OW.

I also was told during my instruction.... that I needed to have much more than 6 lbs. "ditchable" weight. Even though I could easily swim my rig to the surface. Thus I went to an aluminum tank and aluminum BP when diving wet. Now I am at 18 lbs. or so. Hate the weight.

I don't see why you need more that 6# ditchable especially since you can swim the rig up.

The weightbelt belongs on the inside of the crotch/waist strap so it can't be accidentally released. To release the weight belt all you need do is release the waist/crotch strap (without taking the harness off!) and then you can drop the weight belt... very easy... and refasten your waist/crotch strap.

I don't like the DUI weight harness. What happens when those big yellow hoops get snagged on something? Think of the possibilities!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom