new C5050 user

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
High all, I've had the C5050 for awhile now and love it, I just bought the PT-015 fom another member on the board. I was wondering if I could get some advice.

1. the lens has threading, is there accessories I can screw onto the PT-015 lens ?

2. What type of strobe/light do you use with this housing?

does anybody have any of these items they want to sell ?

Thanks.

Welcome to the cult! LOL

You can add on Inon lenses - 165 macros (I suggest getting at least two!) and their WA (they also make a dome if you want to go even wider).

I love my Inon strobe. I have the 220s version, which isn't made anymore, but there are other options. Ikelite strobes are also excellent and versatile. You can start your strobe quest at www.digitaldiver.net -> strobe finder as there are great reviews and need to know FAQs right there.

Have fun!

Welcome to the 5050 club.
I use an Inon D-180 which is also discontinued. The D-2000 was it's replacement and it does a nice job as well. Others on the board have had some luck with the Sunpac strobe. It's fairly inexpensive and worth a look.

N@rco$i$:
High all, I've had the C5050 for awhile now and love it, I just bought the PT-015 fom another member on the board. I was wondering if I could get some advice.

1. the lens has threading, is there accessories I can screw onto the PT-015 lens ?

2. What type of strobe/light do you use with this housing?

does anybody have any of these items they want to sell ?

Thanks.
I'm using the 5050 with an ikelite houseing and a 125 strobe. and sea/sea wa lens.sent to ike recently for upgrade to the housing for ttl upgrade..see photos in gallery..some done w oly some w nikonos 5

I'm using a C5050 and PT-015. I didn't want to get into the upgrade rat-race, and liked the C5050 so well that I bought another C5050 and PT-015, just in case one or both go bad (read flood). I use the Inon D-2000 strobe, which is very easy to use. I have the WAL and a 165 close up lens, but only one so far.

I just got back Saturday from using the camera in St. Lucia, St. Vincent and Bonaire, but haven't had time to process the photos yet.

I love this setup, even if there are better ones out there.

I'm also wondering if you guys use auto settings or do you set everything manually. Topside I try to do everything manually and in the raw format. If you do it manually, what settings do you find work best ?? (boy that last sentence sounds bad :flush: )

10X,
How do you get the strobe to work with the housing, there aren't any plugs to attach the strobe to?, is this a wireless thing ? or do you have to manually fire the strobe.

N@rco$i$:
10X,
How do you get the strobe to work with the housing, there aren't any plugs to attach the strobe to?, is this a wireless thing ? or do you have to manually fire the strobe.

Not 10X, but depending on the strobe you choose, you'll have to either use an optical cable taped over the housing's diffuser or use a manual exposure controller (the Ike DS-125) to use the 5050's pre-flash to trigger the strobe. I just got a DS-125 and to use it with a PT-015 housing, you have to also buy a manual exposure controller which is aimed at the housing's flash diffuser. It reads the preflash and is wired to the strobe. That controls the output of the strobe (there are 10 settings on the manual controller so you can tell it how much output to give you - hence the term "manual :wink:). The preflash tells the strobe when to fire. Actually not that hard a system. I don't have the other system (optical cable), but it's generally the same type of thing - you tape an optical sensor over the camera's diffuser and it tells the strobe when to flash. I believe that the strobe itself has adjustments for how much power to give you (but I'm not really familiar, so others would have to tell you for sure).

Those are the basic terms - pretty much in little words for the camera layman. Forgive me if it was too basic. :).

I have a D-2000 strobe with Fisheye tray and arm currently for sale. PM me if interested.

N@rco$i$:
I'm also wondering if you guys use auto settings or do you set everything manually. Topside I try to do everything manually and in the raw format. If you do it manually, what settings do you find work best ?? (boy that last sentence sounds bad :flush: )

Here is a primer that I put together for a friend of mine:

http://www.myunderwaterworld.com/5050settings.htm

HTH,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom