New Dive Club in Birmingham...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Goose

Reaction score
Well, It seems to be getting a little warmer and I'm guessing you guys are itching to get back in the water... I would like to schedule a tentative informal "gathering" for lunch on Sunday, March 28th. (location TBD, suggestions would help) Mainly to discuss details about kicking off a new club... Anyway, spread the word to all your dive buddies and also don't hesitate to bring friends that are not certified but show interest in diving!
In addition, I would like to schedule a weekend in April to dive at Pelham Blue Water (it will be a great opportunity to brush up on skills and just DIVE...) and after the dive, have a club meeting!

Some of the club objectives I would like to accomplish at the meetings:

1. Establish a common place & time for club meetings (Blue Water?)
2. Monthly Gulf trips (i.e. Panama City, Florida Springs)
3. Great Annual Fish Count - July seminar and survey dive!
4. Major trips - (Florida Keys, Cozumel, Costa Rica...)
5. Local fresh water diving trips (quarries, lakes, rivers) The Alabama river has great black water diving... (great place to find arrowheads, shark teeth, etc...)
6. Winter Dive trip - Crystal River?
7. Recruit new divers.

and most importantly... meet new friends!

Please don't hesitate to add to the list... These were just things I have been thinking about!

If anybody is interested or have questions please message me...

Hey Goose,

I'm just sitting at home sick today. Weather is beautiful outside and even with being sick....I want to dive.

I'll throw out Bluewater as a place to meet March 28th, although you never can tell what the weater will be that time of year. Do you know if they have a BBQ pit. If so, it would be a plus for having it there in warmer weather. Dive...burn some animals on the grill, hold the meeting, etc.

Anyway, put me down.

Beck

Well, It seems to be getting a little warmer and I'm guessing you guys are itching to get back in the water... I would like to schedule a tentative informal "gathering" for lunch on Sunday, March 28th. (location TBD, suggestions would help) Mainly to discuss details about kicking off a new club... Anyway, spread the word to all your dive buddies and also don't hesitate to bring friends that are not certified but show interest in diving!
In addition, I would like to schedule a weekend in April to dive at Pelham Blue Water (it will be a great opportunity to brush up on skills and just DIVE...) and after the dive, have a club meeting!

Some of the club objectives I would like to accomplish at the meetings:

1. Establish a common place & time for club meetings (Blue Water?)
2. Monthly Gulf trips (i.e. Panama City, Florida Springs)
3. Great American Fish Count - July seminar and survey dive!
4. Major trips - (Florida Keys, Cozumel, Costa Rica...)
5. Local fresh water diving trips (quarries, lakes, rivers) The Alabama river has great black water diving... (great place to find arrowheads, shark teeth, etc...)
6. Winter Dive trip - Crystal River?
7. Recruit new divers.

and most importantly... meet new friends!

Please don't hesitate to add to the list... These were just things I have been thinking about!

If anybody is interested or have questions please message me...[/QUOTE]

Actually, the staff does BBQ on the weekends i.e. hot dogs, hamburgers, etc... Anyway March is still a little chilly at Blue Water, im shooting for end of April (water temp in the upper 60's) kinda like the springs in Florida...

Beck, BTW... I got some more info back regarding Costa Rica... along with diving, you will have an opportunity to either take the Arenal volcano tour or white water rafting!

March 28th is DUI demo weekend at ABWA. Good weekend to try out drysuits...

Cheers,
BD

If you are interested, you can come down to my place. I have six acres.

I am 6 miels from Vortex, 20 from Morrison, have boat and canoee for Cypress.

Can BBQ and those who wish to dive can.

Kids welcome.

I ahve tents, those that wish to camp out can.

Kris

bigDave:
March 28th is DUI demo weekend at ABWA. Good weekend to try out drysuits...

Cheers,
BD

Well, I think the best place to meet is at Pelham Blue Water... It appears DUI will be there so if anyone would like to go diving, bring your equipment... I should be there around 1 p.m. If you don't know who I am, my name is Andy and just look for the white Nissan Pathfinder!

I think this is a great idea.....the 28th is no good for me, most other dates are open. i will actually be at blue water tommorrow if anyone is interested.....Aquarock

For those who missed the meeting....

Hey everyone!

First off, I want to thank everyone who made it to the meeting on Sunday... Hope to see everyone else soon!

Anyways, here is a brief overview of what was discussed and also some details for April's dive trips...

Club Website - Hopefully we can get the website up and running very soon... but first, we need to come up with a club name... i.e. Birmingham Dive Club, etc... so, if you have any ideas for a name, please submit back to me by Thursday...

Club Membership - I think we are going to move forward with an annual club due of $20... which will be used to cater a club BBQ in the Fall... (Labor Day Party?) Also, as soon as we come up with a Club name and logo, I will also look into getting some T-shirts made up! If I can get a good price, hopefully the $20 can cover both the BBQ and a T-shirt.

April Dive Schedule -
April 17th - To kick off the new dive season, lets meet at Alabama Blue Water, Saturday April 17th at 10 a.m. for a group dive... This will be a good time to test your equipment and your skills before the Destin Trip the following weekend. Email me back if you plan to come out, so that I can save a spot on one of the tables for you...

April 24-25th - Destin Dive Trip with ScubaTech. Message me for details and club pricing. I will reserve your spot, just let me know if you are going by April 17th. Also, let me know if you will be diving nitrox...
For this trip, you will be responsible for your own room... here are a couple of suggestions that are reasonably priced and relatively close to the store. (don't expect a Westin!)
Motel 6 ($85.99 for two adults per night) (850) 837-0007 2 blocks east of the store.
The Village Inn ($89.00 for two adults per night) (850) 837-7413 1 block west of the store.

In addition... I would like to have a club meeting while we are down in Destin, maybe Saturday evening? (suggestions for restaurants would be great!)

Trips to keep in mind...

May 8 or 22nd. - Orange beach spearfishing trip. 2 nights stay, 1 day diving (3-4 dives) MEssage me for club pricing...

Feel free to call me with any questions or suggestions you may have... 540-4548

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom