New Diver dive in Hatteras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasurf2518

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everybody...I am a new diver..under 20 logged dives and will be vacationing in OBX next week. I really would like to do some diving (especially if the surfing is flat) but from reading some posts I see that most people don't recomend new divers to dive hatteras. Just wanted to hear opinions.. I have done ocean dives before and have no problem with boat dives. I also know to only dive within my limits.. your comments are appreciated...

hang loose..

It can be done. Especially this time of year. Conditions can always get crappy, but you know your limits. Just make sure you stay comfortable. It gets sporty out there, don't go. Save it for another day.

Where are you going in the OBX? There are some shallower wrecks out of Oregon Inlet that are often used for check out dives that would be perfect for your experience. There may be some down south too, I just don't have as much knowledge of stuff down there.

Hi Scuba Surf:

If you are a TRUE surfer, I know you are surfing Hatteras Island, probably not Nags Head. That OBXDive guy is a pretty righteous dude however, and offers good advice for the northern OBX area. But, "Hatteras" diving begins below Oregon Inlet. The conditions change from cooler green water with bottoms temps in the 50s, to tropical blue water, with bottom temps in the 70s, south of cape point.

To get below cape point, you need to run from Hatteras Inlet. Three dive operators work Hatteras Village:

Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site - Diving Hatteras NC and Virginia Beach VA

DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best!

Outer Banks Diving

I've dived all three, and can recommend each. The first one is a six-pack operation, large and comfortable boat, air conditioned interior, great crew, laid back operation. He may have open seats on weekdays, but I'd call him ASAP.

The second one is also a six-pack operation, large and comfortable boat, great crew, laid back operation. He may also have open seats on weekdays, again call him ASAP.

The third one is a bigger operation associated with a dive shop, 20+ diver large boat and all the stuff that goes with it. He probably will have seats available.

Your best shot at diving wrecks that may be in your experience range would be the Dixie Arrow or the Abrams. Both wrecks have maximum depths of 90 FT, are large and easy to navigate with plenty of sharks and fish. If you dive Nitrox, come with a 30% mix, otherwise dive air. A 5 mil wetsuit (no hood) and reef gloves should work fine.

Be advised, however, that you are diving an area of the Atlantic where "normal" sea and diving conditions are 3 to 5 FT waves with currents and LONG boat rides (2+ HRS). Keep this in mind when you say you have "no problem" with boat dives :D. I've been diving since 1975 and still take my pill every morning before leaving the dock. Don't be dumb and spend all day feeding the fish.

To "wet" your appetite, here are videos I shot of of the Dixie Arrow and the F.W. Abrams:

[vimeo]9197154[/vimeo]

[vimeo]12935171[/vimeo]

Good Luck!

Hey everybody...I am a new diver..under 20 logged dives and will be vacationing in OBX next week. I really would like to do some diving (especially if the surfing is flat) but from reading some posts I see that most people don't recomend new divers to dive hatteras. Just wanted to hear opinions.. I have done ocean dives before and have no problem with boat dives. I also know to only dive within my limits.. your comments are appreciated...

hang loose..

My wife and I just dove hatteras a few weeks ago. It was our first ocean dive and our first boat dive. The shop we went through was Outer Banks Diving and they were extremely helpful. I was concerned that since both my wife and I had little experience that we wouldn't be able to do it. At the time of the dive we had both just completed out AOW through PADI and were at Dive number 23. We hired a DM through the shop and she was great. The water was warm and the boat ride was uneventful (abnormally flat water that day). The crew of the boat was very nice and they cooked hotdogs on the grill between the dives. We dove the Abrams and it was very cool. I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do the dives especially since you have already done a few ocean/boat dives. Have fun.

Hi Scuba Surf:

If you are a TRUE surfer, I know you are surfing Hatteras Island, probably not Nags Head. That OBXDive guy is a pretty righteous dude however, and offers good advice for the northern OBX area. But, "Hatteras" diving begins below Oregon Inlet. The conditions change from cooler green water with bottoms temps in the 50s, to tropical blue water, with bottom temps in the 70s, south of cape point.

To get below cape point, you need to run from Hatteras Inlet. Three dive operators work Hatteras Village:

Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site - Diving Hatteras NC and Virginia Beach VA

DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best!

Outer Banks Diving

I've dived all three, and can recommend each. The first one is a six-pack operation, large and comfortable boat, air conditioned interior, great crew, laid back operation. He may have open seats on weekdays, but I'd call him ASAP.

The second one is also a six-pack operation, large and comfortable boat, great crew, laid back operation. He may also have open seats on weekdays, again call him ASAP.

The third one is a bigger operation associated with a dive shop, 20+ diver large boat and all the stuff that goes with it. He probably will have seats available.

Your best shot at diving wrecks that may be in your experience range would be the Dixie Arrow or the Abrams. Both wrecks have maximum depths of 90 FT, are large and easy to navigate with plenty of sharks and fish. If you dive Nitrox, come with a 30% mix, otherwise dive air. A 5 mil wetsuit (no hood) and reef gloves should work fine.

Be advised, however, that you are diving an area of the Atlantic where "normal" sea and diving conditions are 3 to 5 FT waves with currents and LONG boat rides (2+ HRS). Keep this in mind when you say you have "no problem" with boat dives :D. I've been diving since 1975 and still take my pill every morning before leaving the dock. Don't be dumb and spend all day feeding the fish.

To "wet" your appetite, here are videos I shot of of the Dixie Arrow and the F.W. Abrams:

[vimeo]9197154[/vimeo]

[vimeo]12935171[/vimeo]

Good Luck!

Hey thanks for those videos. I was actually checking them out on youtube prior to our dive on the Abrams. Your video's do a great job of catching the calmness of the wreck. It was like being on another planet. I can't wait to do more OBX wreck diving.

I just did a day of diving with outer banks diving and was actually a bit disappointed with their pre-dive briefing of the wrecks we did, especially since we have viz around 20'. Once I was down on the wreck, it was hard to envision what it was I was supposed to be diving. I was really wished I had brought my wreck reel for the dives because it was tough to find the anchor line. I highly recommend with your skill level hiring a DM to dive with--the DM from outer banks diving was very helpful and she seemed to know the wrecks. Had the viz been better, the dives would have been fantastic (they were still good dives)--it was unsettling to have sharks coming around you without a lot of notice. Certainly got the adrenaline going! Hopefully the wind will die down and the waters will clear for you.

I just did a day of diving with outer banks diving and was actually a bit disappointed with their pre-dive briefing of the wrecks we did, especially since we have viz around 20'. Once I was down on the wreck, it was hard to envision what it was I was supposed to be diving. I was really wished I had brought my wreck reel for the dives because it was tough to find the anchor line. I highly recommend with your skill level hiring a DM to dive with--the DM from outer banks diving was very helpful and she seemed to know the wrecks. Had the viz been better, the dives would have been fantastic (they were still good dives)--it was unsettling to have sharks coming around you without a lot of notice. Certainly got the adrenaline going! Hopefully the wind will die down and the waters will clear for you.

Do you recall which wrecks you dove?

Hey Thanks everybody for the advice! I ended up going out with Outerbanks Diving...had 2 great dives on the Dixie Arrow! Current was a little strong but viz was terrific! Whole crew was great and boat was very easy to navigate! Drewski...lol of course i was staying on hatteras...in waves actually...only got one great day of surfing in but was content with one great day of surfing and one great day of diving..I look forward to diving with them in the future!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom