New diver, exploring options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Typically because of rising fuel costs I have seen them go for $70 and up for 2 tank dives. I always see mention of Capt. Ty's boat in the Tampa area... but you can check with your local dive shop as well and see how much their charters are running.

I agree with the rest of the folks in this post and get certified first and then do some local dives and charters. Remember safety and get a buddy :D

I definitely won't be diving alone and I will be taking my GF with me on a 2nd kayak if we decide to go that route. She is certified, I am not. I donned my gear in the complex pool to get a feel for everything and while it seemed comfortable I would never put myself underwater without knowing all I should know.

In lakes here in the midwest, there are big boats with big price tags that are running over the tops of bass boats and pontoon boats. . . they didn't see the 24' boat with a roof 12 feet above the surface. Can you safely go six miles from shore. . . you can, but can you avoid someone with a half million dollar boat with no training and probably drunk.

This is definitely a concern of mine, and one of the reasons I was trying to get some more info. I posted over in the dive kayak forum to get some more info.

Until you are familiar with the water of Tampa, and the best spear fishing sites, you might hold off the kayak idea until you know the local conditions. There might not be too many dive sites that you can safely kayak to and scuba. You might be putting the cart before the horse ... a problem I have also.

We were going to get a pair of the Tarpon 140 kayaks and their price tag each is about $1000. A nice dive kayak like the one I posted runs about $350 each so as long as it is practical to use them for recreational paddling that is probably the route we will go. It will probably be a couple months before any of our ideas are put into motion.

I'm fairly familiar with the equipment and I took everything for a test run in a pool and it was very different. I can easily see why I would need thorough instruction before diving. I am HUGE on safety as I don't want to be one of those idiotic stories you hear about on the news.

I'm fairly familiar with the equipment and I took everything for a test run in a pool and it was very different. I can easily see why I would need thorough instruction before diving. I am HUGE on safety as I don't want to be one of those idiotic stories you hear about on the news.
With an instructor or Dive Master I hope. Did you know shallow water is the most dangerous place to be if you're not familiar with scuba skills?

There are some really good instructors in Florida and Scubaboard is a great resource for finding them. Get yourself certified then find a mentor for the kind of diving you want to do. The nicest thing about the diving community is the friendliness of the people, it's pretty easy to find someone who's willing to help you out.

Safe diving to you!
Ber :lilbunny:

There is a place called EZ scuba like 5 minutes up the road where I am going to get certified. Anybody been there or have any thoughts about them?

I learn a lot diving with more experienced divers. Tampa has a great dive community. I would strongly recommend that you hook up with some of these folks for your first bunch-o-dives, after you get certified.

I did just that when I vacationed in St Pete in Feb. I was up front, told all involved I was a newb, and they took great care off me.

Capt. Ty was $85 including 2 tanks. Seems very reasonable to me. I've seen other guys on the Tampa board just ask for gas money. (and some beer)

There are also springs close by that don't require any boats.

We were going to get a pair of the Tarpon 140 kayaks and their price tag each is about $1000. A nice dive kayak like the one I posted runs about $350 each so as long as it is practical to use them for recreational paddling that is probably the route we will go. It will probably be a couple months before any of our ideas are put into motion.

Ok, welcome to the board! For starters, it won't cost you 300$ to go diving, in fact I am going to spend less than that for a 4 day weekend in May, flying to Florida diving 2 days and flying home. You can probably find charters in your area for 60 to 100 dollars.

Second, no need to buy the additional kayak, the Tarpon 140 will be a nice dive platform. Most any Ocean Kayak or similar sit on top till do actually, so shop around and see if you like other models better.

I am going to assume you can re-enter in deep water? One skill you will need to practice is donning and doffing your gear in the water.
Something to consider also is that you will more than likely be towing your kayak on the surface while you are diving. You should be a fairly proficient diver before trying that, and maybe try a drift dive and ask the DM if you can take the float to see what it will be like under supervision.

One more thing, if your GF is not as adept at paddling as you, Hobie makes a kayak that has a pedal attachment, so she could use her legs instead. That way you guys have a pretty good range...

Ok, welcome to the board! For starters, it won't cost you 300$ to go diving, in fact I am going to spend less than that for a 4 day weekend in May, flying to Florida diving 2 days and flying home. You can probably find charters in your area for 60 to 100 dollars.

Second, no need to buy the additional kayak, the Tarpon 140 will be a nice dive platform. Most any Ocean Kayak or similar sit on top till do actually, so shop around and see if you like other models better.

One more thing, if your GF is not as adept at paddling as you, Hobie makes a kayak that has a pedal attachment, so she could use her legs instead. That way you guys have a pretty good range...

Thanks, I really REALLY appreciate the comments. Through hours of reading on Google I have found a lot of what you mention. There are so many kayaks out there it's hard to make a choice. The Tarpon 140 is the only one I've tried and I found what I read on some other review site: it requires a lot of correction strokes. I thought this was just the way kayaks were.

I'll have to look into the pedal attachment; she does get tired much earlier than me.

Something to consider also is that you will more than likely be towing your kayak on the surface while you are diving. You should be a fairly proficient diver before trying that, and maybe try a drift dive and ask the DM if you can take the float to see what it will be like under supervision.

I don't really understand any of this, sorry. :-/

I don't really understand any of this, sorry. :-/

Seaducer is trying to let you know that you may not be anchoring the kayak when you dive. You'll have a rope attached to it that you hold onto and you pull the boat along with you as you dive.

When you dive in some conditions (Seaducer mentions a drift dive) you have to tow a dive flag with you to let boats know where you are. When you go on a charter the Dive Master normally tows the flag and leads the group. Seaducer was suggesting you go on a dive that will involve a Dive Master towing a flag then ask that person if they will let you try towing it. Pulling something along on the surface changes the dynamic of diving. You move much slower so your buddy needs to be aware they have to slow down. You have to let line out as you descend and take it back in as you ascend, there's a lot of rope management going on along with your other dive skills. I don't kayak dive so I don't know how different a kayak feels from a little flag when you're holding the line but you can definitely tell there's something on the other end of that rope when towing a flag.

Hope that helps.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit explained it pretty good. Many times when kayak diving you are going to someplace sort of remote, and don't want to lose your ride back. If there are currents or wind that makes it more imperative to keep a positive contact with the boat, as either could blow you, or it, away from each other.

RE the choices- it is kind of like shampoo. There are 100's of bottles of shampoo in the aisle, but I like the smell of coconut, so that narrows it down some.

I suggest you figure your budget, capacity needs, and go from there. Don't let the choices overwhelm you, many boats are really the same thing as another. It sort of comes down to length, width, add-on extras available, and brand loyalty.

I haven't been kayak diving in years, but it was fun...

There is a place called EZ scuba like 5 minutes up the road where I am going to get certified. Anybody been there or have any thoughts about them?

You're not going to find many positive notes about them on SB.

I highly suggest you make a post in the Tampa forum. You will get a great many excellent recommendations.

If you do decide to stay with EZ, do not buy everything they tell you to or start taking a ton of classes. Dive some and get some experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom