New diver, exploring options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OT, but nice avatar Missdirected... you look like a base jumping scuba diver...neat

OT, but nice avatar Missdirected... you look like a base jumping scuba diver...neat

Thanks. CardZard took that. I want to say it was on the Spiegal but I can't remember for sure. It was definitely in the keys.

The best dive boat is someone else's! I would suggest getting certified and going with the shop for about a years worth of diving or 100 dives. That way you will know what you are looking at as far as direction! You will then learn where the reefs are and the best dive conditions. Find a dive club and get involved so you can glean as much as you can from long time divers! Good luck and safe diving!

Until you have alot of dives under your belt you need to have a partner, period! No solo dives. :no So no on the dive kayak unless you have a buddy thats going to buy one also. :shakehead:

Try to find a used inflatable this will be great for you and a few buddies to use so you can get wet. Cheap to operate also. You what a hard floor. A 16ft with a 25hp to 50hp is to cool. :):D

Perception Prism 13' sit-on-top kayak. It has large front and rear hatches. I use it for SCUBA, free diving, abalone, and fishing. I also have longer regular kayaks. I kayak dive Monterey Bay, Carmel Bay, and small coves around Mendocino.

I usually attach my front or rear tow line to kelp and sometimes drag my kayak up on rocks. If I use a small anchor, I have a plastic cleat screwed to deck so that if the anchor rope is pulled it tightens, but if I need to release quickly I just pull up and let go of the line. I use line that floats and of course I have a paddle leash. I carry any loose gear in a goodie bag clipped to the deck. If I am freediving, it is hard for me to sit-up straight with my wetsuit on and I overheat. So I wear my weight belt and pull down the top while paddling. I put my mask and snorkel on before I hop in the water. I put my fins on in the water. My friends put their fins on in the kayak and sometimes paddle with their fins on.

For SCUBA, I put my tank/BC in the back hatch but it will not close. This could be dangerous, but I do not SCUBA using my kayak in seas where I may be swamped. I can go in rougher seas when I free dive or I can figure a way to safely secure the tank/BC on top of the deck instead. I may also get a couple of flotation bags for kayaks without bulkheads for safety. I pull my top up, put my snorkel in my mouth then jump in and put my fins on. Secure the kayak, then pull the tank/BC out of the back hatch and secure the hatch. I put my BC on in the water. When I return to the boat, I clip the fish or abalone to the deck. I may throw my weight belt into the front hatch. I take off my BC and clip it to the kayak side ropes so it does not float away. It is easy for me to swim around and get everything ready to leave without my weight belt and BC on. I take my fins off after I climb on top. And my mask and snorkel are still on when I climb back in. I hope this helps. Here is a link for a real kayak diver. http://www.kayakdiver.com/kayakdiving/topics.htm

I also have an Achilles inflatable with 15hp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom