New diver: gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ronbo01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am returning to diving and being decertified after being away for 10 years and my wife is totally new and being certified.

We are buying all top of the line new gear and deciding between Scuba Pro and Aqualung.

Aqualung is greatly discounted and Scuba Pro is not.
Even with that we are leaning to Scuba Pro

Opinions please? And why does Aqualung have such discounts?

We plan on using wrist dive computers and eliminate another hose.
We are considering
Aqualung
Oceanic recently bought by Aqualung
Scuba Pro Mantis 2
We have heard some brands tend to loose their pairing more often than others
Opinions please?

Thank you in advance

I am returning to diving and being decertified after being away for 10 years and my wife is totally new and being certified.
Nice to get back to it. Are you sure your wife will be a dedicated diver, she is not certified yet?

We are buying all top of the line new gear and deciding between Scuba Pro and Aqualung.
I am sure you will get some comment, is this 'top of the line' or top price? Personally I have predominantly ScubaPro regs, and BCs. But I also have HOG gear, and Mares computers. Wetsuits are a mix of 'what fits best'.

Which gear are you actually considering? MK25, MK17, S560, S600, G250...

What type of BC? I don't think I would be buying for your wife until she is certified and has a feel for some different gear options. Different BCs will fit better (or worse) so often trying is the only way to tell. Then you will have jacket, Back inflate or back-pack-wing... Having BC that fits well and is comfortable and gives good buoyancy control is key to good diving - don't rush this.

Aqualung is greatly discounted and Scuba Pro is not.
Even with that we are leaning to Scuba Pro
This only matters if you have a budget constraint, and I am sure there are great products with lower prices than Aqualung.

As far as computers go I just have low end Mares Pucks, but I use two one as a back-up. One on the wrist and one in the console. I prefer the SPG, its clipped on so not an issue.

I have buddies that has wireless air integration and they don't have any issues.

Don't trust the local dive shop for independent impartial advise!

For regulators: Atomic or SP, nothing else :)

For BC's: SP Seahawk or Glide X

For Computers (AI/Hosless): SP Galileo or Luna with transmitter (I am moving away from watch type/size computers since it gets difficult to read the numbers with weakening vision as we mature :) )

Oceanic is not recently purchased by Aqualung, they are still very much independent companies. Aqualung purchased Pelagic Pressure Systems which was a sister company of Oceanic under the AUP umbrella.

If you want top of the line gear, you aren't going to be going to either of those brands for hardly anything...

DeepSeaSupply - Products
that is the top of the line BC on the market, it's literally that simple, conveniently it is also the best bang for the buck on the market for BC's. Just under $500 and will last you forever, and grow with you as a diver.

Perdix - Shearwater Research
that is the top of the line computer on the market, also a fact. It does not help you eliminate the pressure gauge, but you said top of the line, and none of the AI computers on the market come close. If you are hell bent on AI, then I'd hold out a little bit longer for Scubapro to hopefully announce an AI transmitter for the Seabear H3. It isn't as good as the Perdix, but it has AI, and is a watch size computer.
Do NOT buy a new Scubapro computer right now, their acquisition of Seabear means the whole line is turning over likely at DEMA this fall. Their computers are really overpriced anyway and by no means the best on the market.

Regulators are very subjective and top of the line doesn't really mean a whole lot.
Atomic Aquatics ST1 Regulator
Xstream | Poseidon
I'm tempted to say it's a toss up between these two, but it is a lot of personal preference. Atomic are made in the US to a ridiculous quality standard. Poseidon is the same in Sweden. They are truly top of the line regs in terms of performance. The Poseidon isn't for everyone, but I love them to death and won't trade them for anything.

Scubapro makes some damn good regulators, but I don't like the brand for various reasons, if I had to choose, MK25/G260 or MK25/A700 would be top of the line, but I think overall the Atomics beat them for piston style regulators. Aqualung doesn't really have anything that qualifies as top of the line imho, including Apeks. They're all old designs, and there are better options on the market for top of the line. They are all damn good regs, bulletproof, and are used on some of the most demanding dives in the world, but that doesn't make them top of the line. Now, nothing except the breathing machines can even come close to telling the difference *assuming they are all tuned properly* between say the MK25/A700 combo which costs $850, the Xstream at $600, or the Dive Rite XT at $450, or even the HOG D1/Classic combo that was selling for $200 up until last Christmas. That last one is being used on deep, long, expedition cave dives btw. There are a lot more factors than "the best" that will guide you to a regulator brand, so don't focus on top of the line.

I dive with Scubapro gear. It's what I started with and continue to use. The only exception are my fins (Tusa) and one of my computers. I don't like air integrated and have a Shearwater Perdix as my primary and Scubapro Chromis as my back up. It's a watch sized which is great for travel but it's nothing like the Perdix. My regulator is my original, Scubapro MK17. It has never failed me and I have it serviced regularly. My BC is a Ladyhawk. All of my wetsuits are Scubapro. It's a gear-intensive sport as you probably already know and you will be replacing gear eventually.

There's some excellent dive equipment out there and it doesn't have to be top of the line. Get a computer that you understand how to use and one that you can easily see. Purchase gear that fits good and you are comfortable wearing. I agree with Tbar about not buying your wife's BC until she is certified. Again, it goes back to finding a good fitting BC that is comfortable for her.

Thank you for the reply
It was helpful

Oceanic is not recently purchased by Aqualung, they are still very much independent companies. Aqualung purchased Pelagic Pressure Systems which was a sister company of Oceanic under the AUP umbrella.

If you want top of the line gear, you aren't going to be going to either of those brands for hardly anything...

DeepSeaSupply - Products
that is the top of the line BC on the market, it's literally that simple, conveniently it is also the best bang for the buck on the market for BC's. Just under $500 and will last you forever, and grow with you as a diver.

Perdix - Shearwater Research
that is the top of the line computer on the market, also a fact. It does not help you eliminate the pressure gauge, but you said top of the line, and none of the AI computers on the market come close. If you are hell bent on AI, then I'd hold out a little bit longer for Scubapro to hopefully announce an AI transmitter for the Seabear H3. It isn't as good as the Perdix, but it has AI, and is a watch size computer.
Do NOT buy a new Scubapro computer right now, their acquisition of Seabear means the whole line is turning over likely at DEMA this fall. Their computers are really overpriced anyway and by no means the best on the market.

Regulators are very subjective and top of the line doesn't really mean a whole lot.
Atomic Aquatics ST1 Regulator
Xstream | Poseidon
I'm tempted to say it's a toss up between these two, but it is a lot of personal preference. Atomic are made in the US to a ridiculous quality standard. Poseidon is the same in Sweden. They are truly top of the line regs in terms of performance. The Poseidon isn't for everyone, but I love them to death and won't trade them for anything.

Scubapro makes some damn good regulators, but I don't like the brand for various reasons, if I had to choose, MK25/G260 or MK25/A700 would be top of the line, but I think overall the Atomics beat them for piston style regulators. Aqualung doesn't really have anything that qualifies as top of the line imho, including Apeks. They're all old designs, and there are better options on the market for top of the line. They are all damn good regs, bulletproof, and are used on some of the most demanding dives in the world, but that doesn't make them top of the line. Now, nothing except the breathing machines can even come close to telling the difference *assuming they are all tuned properly* between say the MK25/A700 combo which costs $850, the Xstream at $600, or the Dive Rite XT at $450, or even the HOG D1/Classic combo that was selling for $200 up until last Christmas. That last one is being used on deep, long, expedition cave dives btw. There are a lot more factors than "the best" that will guide you to a regulator brand, so don't focus on top of the line.
For regulators: Atomic or SP, nothing else :)

For BC's: SP Seahawk or Glide X

For Computers (AI/Hosless): SP Galileo or Luna with transmitter (I am moving away from watch type/size computers since it gets difficult to read the numbers with weakening vision as we mature :) )

bratface, Tusa and Scubapro are heavily involved together, so you're at least with kissing cousins if not directly in the family...

Regarding your wifes bc, it depends, I don't think you need to wait as most jacket bc's don't fit well at all. A properly adjusted bp/w win the right size will be guaranteed to fit and be comfortable despite the best efforts of the jacket mfg's for women's bc's. All of my female dive buddies have converted or started with backplates and wings and use them for all of their diving.

Personally, unless your LDS is giving a bulk discount for all the same manufacturers gear, I would pick and choose the individual items that I wanted.

As tbone suggests, most people would not be able to tell the difference between regs in use (unless in extreme conditions such as at extreme depth or cold). A lot of the differences are superficial or down to weight of materials.

BCD - I am a convert to BP&W. After doing my course in a jacket (my instructor uses a BP&W for his OW diving), I went out and bought one and would rather never dive a jacket type again.

Fins- largely a personal choice. Some people swear by split fins (particularly those with injuries), some swear at them. Try a bunch (in the water if possible) and see what works for foot pocket/kick type etc.

Wetsuits - not all suits are created equal. The cut on one suit might suit you but not your wife so again try a bunch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom