New Diver here - wanting advice on a full setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lightman,

i agree completely with nemrod, ultimately your opinion matters most. i can tell you that the zeagle bc is a quality unit. check the zeagle ranger for the multi purpose choice. as for the reg, primary and alternate, i have been an atomic fan the second i took my first breath off the t2. based on your personal profile the atomic t2 would complement your style as well as the titanium alternate that atomic offers.

good luck to you and remember your opinion is the only one that matters.

You're going to have to make some decisions but here are some guidelines....

Get a cold water regulator. Cold water (Less than 40F) is not hard to find in fresh water so cover that base. It's a minor cost adder with no known downside. Get all regulators from the same brand to ease servicing.

I prefer seperate inflators and alternate air sources over the combo units.

Do not buy a BC unless you try it in a pool while in your full wetsuit and all. If you can rent the model for a dive or 2 in open water that's even better.

Wetsuit, fit is everything and you will need several thicknesses, probably a 3mm and a 7mm set for what you describe. Skipping the 7mm and going stright to drysuit diving is an option. Loads of info in the Exposure protection firum.

You need to do some seat time in the gear forums to get a handle on featues and logic.

Computer, you can live without that coming out of the gate. Lots of models and placement options that you will understand better with a few dives behind you. Again, read the forums.

Also keep tabs on the New Divers and Basic scuba forums.

Pete

One of the things that I would do after looking at all of the opinions suggested is to find a buddy that has one of the above listed objects or a dive shop that will let you try before you buy. So many of the things that you can buy are great for some but not for others. I have a Mares BC and I love it but others may have other opinions. Opinions are great, but nothing beats diving it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom