New Diver in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bagheera

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, folks! I've been snorkeling for a while and am now ready to take the plunge into scuba. My class starts in a few weeks. I'm really stoked about getting further underwater. I have a few questions for the more experienced divers:

--My instructor is PADI and NAUI certified, but he teaches the SSI certification. I've never even heard of SSI before. I'm sure he will give me a solid foundation in scuba, but will having a certification from a smaller company limit my options at some dive shops? I mean, are there shops that will serve only PADI or only NAUI certified divers?
--My swimming skill is average, not great. I can swim freestyle (no fins or mask) about 100 meters before I have to rest. With mask, snorkel, and fins I can go about half a mile. I can surface dive to 15 feet before the pressure starts to bug me, and I can stay down for a little under a minute. I can tread water indefinitely (last time, I treaded for 20 minutes before I got bored and swam off) Do you think I'm a good enough swimmer to start my training?
--Just a random observation, but there aren't many young divers out there. In my hometown of San Diego, the average diver age is about 40. I've met maybe three divers who were in their 20's (like me). Why is diving a boomer hobby?
--I need to get new fins. I have full-foot fins for snorkeling, but I need to get strap-fins with booties for diving. My intstructor recommends the IDI Power Fins. He says they allow more manuverability and they don't silt up the bottom as much as regular fins. Any opinions? And how difficult will it be for me to adjust to the power fin design?
--I have lots of surf buds, but no diving buddies yet. Ironic, isn't it? Some surfers drone on and on about "harnessing the ocean's power" and being "one with the sea," but few of them ever want to look below the surface. Anyway, what's a good way to find new dive buddies?

Any advice you can offer will be very helpful. I'm looking forward to my first dives!

Bagheera once bubbled...

--My instructor is PADI and NAUI certified, but he teaches the SSI certification. I've never even heard of SSI before. I'm sure he will give me a solid foundation in scuba, but will having a certification from a smaller company limit my options at some dive shops? I mean, are there shops that will serve only PADI or only NAUI certified divers?

Not that I'm aware of. Matter of fact these are all acceptable agencies as are many others. I have OW and AOW from PADI and Nitrox certified from SSI.

Bagheera once bubbled...

--My swimming skill is average, not great. I can swim freestyle (no fins or mask) about 100 meters before I have to rest. With mask, snorkel, and fins I can go about half a mile. I can surface dive to 15 feet before the pressure starts to bug me, and I can stay down for a little under a minute. I can tread water indefinitely (last time, I treaded for 20 minutes before I got bored and swam off) Do you think I'm a good enough swimmer to start my training?

PADI requires you to do laps swimming in a pool. I'm not certain about other agencies. There is not a time limit for OW to the best of my recollection. There is also a test of staying buoyant without gear on that lasts for 5 minutes.

--Just a random observation, but there aren't many young divers out there. In my hometown of San Diego, the average diver age is about 40. I've met maybe three divers who were in their 20's (like me). Why is diving a boomer hobby?[/B]

One old salt is in his 70's from my local dive club. The ages vary as you will see with the more diving you do.

--I need to get new fins. I have full-foot fins for snorkeling, but I need to get strap-fins with booties for diving. My intstructor recommends the IDI Power Fins. He says they allow more manuverability and they don't silt up the bottom as much as regular fins. Any opinions? And how difficult will it be for me to adjust to the power fin design?[/B]

Test gear before you buy. He might SUGGEST a piece of gear, but all gear is NOT right for everyone. Most LDS's let you try gear before you buy. You should not be pressured into buying a specific piece of gear before you try and test it.

----I have lots of surf buds, but no diving buddies yet. Ironic, isn't it? Some surfers drone on and on about "harnessing the ocean's power" and being "one with the sea," but few of them ever want to look below the surface. Anyway, what's a good way to find new dive buddies?[/B]

This board is a good start...call some LDS's to see about dive clubs in your area. I am a member of a local dive club and have met some great people.

Have fun diving and be safe
:)

Hey and welcome to the boards. If you want to meet some younger divers you might wnat to check out the club I belong to. DiveAnimals. It's the largest club in SD as far as I know and we love to party! Check out http://www.diveanimals.com/

I'm one of those 40 divers but I've seen plenty in their twenties and younger.

As for your physical condition, don't worry about it. I managed and I'm 40 and overweight. Get out there and DIVE!
:bang:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom