New diver in the Monterey area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fetch

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm an old-timerish Scubaboard member (Spring 2002) who's moved from Texas to Monterey, California.

I'm still working on getting my vehicle and gear out here, but I thought I'd log in and say hi :) I'm an AOW diver who hasn't blown bubbles in a few years now, so I'm probably going to have to hit a pool and get my stuff checked out to make sure I'm good to go.

What sort of diving is there to do on the cheap here in Monterey? Any shore dives, for instance? Or is kayak diving popular at all? I try to dive DIR, do GUE classes form up around here very often? (I tried to get to the mocal-dir.com site, but either the server is down currently or it's blocked from this computer).

Also, is there anything good or bad to say about Monterey Bay Dive Company (gear sales and rental, training, dives)? They seem to be very conveniently located for me, but I didn't get a chance to go by this weekend to get a feel for the place.

Here's hoping I get to dive with y'all soon :)

Fetch

Hi Fetch,

Shore diving is plentiful from the Breakwater to Point Lobos and, assuming you have all the equipment, will cost you parking and gas. Kayak diving is possible. I don't do that myself so I can't give you too many specifics in that regard.

If you're looking to hook up with the DIR crowd, then I'd suggest checking out The Dive Matrix. They're usually chatting in the evening.

Personally, I frequent Bamboo Reef (BR), but I know of nothing bad about MBDC. Their bread and butter is supporting the recreational classes at the Breakwater whereas BR has helium and argon. Most tech divers I know are in the Bay Area and use Any Water Sports (San Jose).

Jonathan

There are plenty of dives to do on the cheap in the Monterey area especially if you have your own gear. I've only done shorediving and there are some great spots with a wide range of experience levels.

On the GUE front, there is BAUE. There is a local GUE Fundies and Tech instructor by the name of Beto Nava. We have a good variety of dive boats that run from the monterey harbor almost very weekend.

Hey everyone. I'm an old-timerish Scubaboard member (Spring 2002) who's moved from Texas to Monterey, California.

I'm still working on getting my vehicle and gear out here, but I thought I'd log in and say hi :) I'm an AOW diver who hasn't blown bubbles in a few years now, so I'm probably going to have to hit a pool and get my stuff checked out to make sure I'm good to go.

What sort of diving is there to do on the cheap here in Monterey? Any shore dives, for instance? Or is kayak diving popular at all? I try to dive DIR, do GUE classes form up around here very often? (I tried to get to the mocal-dir.com site, but either the server is down currently or it's blocked from this computer).

Also, is there anything good or bad to say about Monterey Bay Dive Company (gear sales and rental, training, dives)? They seem to be very conveniently located for me, but I didn't get a chance to go by this weekend to get a feel for the place.

Here's hoping I get to dive with y'all soon :)

Fetch

Welcome to the area!

While the DIR and GUE classes are not too frequent...we have several fantastic DIR instructors in the area. AG and Delia (no JoeT in almost a year) on the NAUI Tec side. Beto on the GUE side. Plus, there is a large contingent of divers who do what they can to make DIR dives. I second AJD's mention of TDM, as we gather on the chat feature over there almost nightly...it's a great way to hook up and get some diving done! Plus, we have scooters.

If you have any other issues with MoCal DIR - Diving in Monterey, California, please let me know via PM or email...as far as I know it was up all weekend, but I was down in Monterey diving! So no computer geekery for me at that time.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom