New Diver in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I’ve said I need to visit every location on the peso noted before I leave, so chocolate hills and the tarsiers on my degas day are a must!
you can rent a scooter for the day really cheap instead of getting a car.

Welcome! I didn't discover diving until my 40's so I can understand the feeling of wasted time. Best thing to do is dive as often as you can!
I'm going to the Philippines very soon. It will be my first time there so I'm hoping it's as good as all of the hype!

Once you have that car organized, please consider performing a public service by checking out the dive ops in Aurora. Talk about off the radar… but I see professionals’ photos that are amazing.

Till you have the car, know that the Si-Kat bus and ferry service to Puerto Galera is back up and running. @Centrals ought to share their expertise on travel to PG and Anilao by public transport.

Apo Island was where I learned to dive on a similar Manila posting, and returned often. Dead easy: flight to Dumaguete, then Liberty’s Lodge would organize a van transfer to the beach where a …rather…small bangka would take us the rest of the way to Apo. Basic facilities, but awesome diving. Many of the sites are easy, but you can also learn about current.

My experiences on public transfer to Anilao and PG had been written before. OP has moved to Manila recently so travelling to both places should not present him any problem.
1. Any foreign tourist who is thinking to go to PG by public transfer is totally depending on the arrival time at NAIA and how long it takes to clear immigration/custom. The cut off time for me is 13:00(read 4).
2. Taxi to Buendia Bus Terminal is around P200.00 and the bus fare all the way to Batangas Ferry Terminal is similarly priced. Some of the buses have on board toilet but most don't !
3. Direct ferry to Sabang is history. It is either Mulle or Balatelo. With heavy diving gear it is better to charter a tricycle. How much? No idea because I have not used it for very long time.
4. Ferry schedule post-Covid has been significantly reduced and I believe only from Fri - Mon that there is one to Balatelo at 17:00.
5. Safer option is to overnight in Manila and then take the Si-Kat transfer from City State Tower Hotel. There are a lot of comfortable hotels beside City State around the area but please be careful at night if you decide to look for nightlife.
6. If you missed the last ferry then there is a Traveller Inn not too far(200m?) from the ferry terminal. AC but no hot water.
7. If you really must go to PG on the same day then take the late ferry to Calapan and see if there is any transport available. There is NO such thing as TAXI.

Anilao is relatively easy:
1. Same as (2) as above but get off at Batangas City Grand Terminal

2. Take a jeepney to Mabini and get off at the turn off to Anilao and either get a tricycle or wait for another jeep.

Just remember getting there is half the fun and be patient.
Have FUN.

FT:
Once you have that car organized, please consider performing a public service by checking out the dive ops in Aurora. Talk about off the radar… but I see professionals’ photos that are amazing.
Just got myself a 2011 Subaru Scubaru Forrester so very excited to head up country. Friend of mine is out from South Africa in August and we were mulling going to Baler one of the weekends and driving the pass. I‘ll do some digging and find out what’s there diving wise.

Hello and welcome from another newbie

I've been told there is very nice diving at Subic Bay in the Philippines. I'm based out of South East Asia. Hopefully I'll get to dive there and explore some of the wrecks one one day.

It has already been mentioned above, if you are in the Metro Manila area then Anilao, Batangas is the closest place to go diving. I you like taking pictures there is a lot of subjects to see. It is the location that people go to for a weekend of diving. There are a lot of resorts of different calibers dive resorts. I grew up in the Philippines and it is a country of 7,000 plus islands.

My favorite dives in the Philippines were the wreck dives at Coron which was a puddle jumper flight from Cebu. Bring really good anti diahrrea meds. Not the stuff you can get in Cebu, its not very effective. Corons best hotels are still suspect when it comes to even bottled water.

Moalboal was not bad. Want to do Malapascua. The last few years near Mactan and lapu lapu were muddy waters with all the hotel construction. Id suggest going further out to the reserves like Nalusuan or however those are pronounced. Just dont dive right off the hotels.

It may have cleared up during covid not sure.

Back
Top Bottom