New Diver looking to pick up some gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArubaDiverJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

I am a new diver who is looking to pick up some gear. Most of my divings will be while traveling but once I get some gear I will also be diving locally. I will probably not be picking up everything all at once as diving is an expensive hobby but from my research here it seems as a good order for purchasing equipment would be (1) Fins, mask, snorkel and wet suit (2) computer and BCD (3) regulators. I know there is a ton a stuff I can purchase but that seems to be the basic gear in which I can get started.

As far as fins I have been looking into either the Hollis F1 Fins, OMS monoprene slipstream fins or the Mares Avanti Quattro. I know there has been a huge discussion on fins on the board so I am going to go to a local diver shop to try them out. I am look for something light weight, preferably not split fins. Any reason to get strap (which seems to be everyones preference) compared to full foot?

For masks I am looking for a panoramic frameless mask, obviously with tempered glass. I would prefer a padded strap so I like the Cressi Panormaic Wideview. I know a mask is purchased based on fit so would anyone have any other reccomendations regarding my criteria to try out?

I have not researched info on dive computers as of yet but I would think that it is important to dive with the same computer not only for safety but for continuity. I will update once I do some more research to ask for opinions.

After reviewing a post here on the boards I am looking for a BP/W system and the Dris Dive Gear28lb BP/W system package seems to be a good start. I eventually want to get into underwater photography so am looking for something with clamps to secure a camera as well.

Regulators are a tough one for me. I am looking for a set up that will donate my primary reg with a long hose 7' and keep my octo on a necklace for easy access. Once again the package I have seen was the Edge Gear D1/Epic Regulator Combo w/ 3'' bolt snap,2'' White face, Octo Hose, 24'' HP SPG Hose D1 second stage, cold water first state DIN, Primary hose 84''.

Any reccomendations for gear would be great and I am not opposed to purchasing used if anyone has anything laying around in which they do not use anymore. Thanks in advance.

John

hi John,

your finning style/strength is also a factor in fin choice. I actually owned all the fins you mentioned :) but i keep going back to my scubapro jetfin (more coz I've been using it for almost 20 years). all the fins are decent, but if you travel, the dimensions and weight might be a factor for you to consider. (some budget airlines are a pain when you exceed the limit even by 1 Lb ) :p

reason for using bootie + fin is sometimes we do shore dives or go to a place where you would not want to walk barefoot before/after a dive.

for mask it is always abt fit (as you mentioned) nothing annoys more than water getting into the mask while diving. that being said, I have always liked the atomic aquatic mask, extremely clear vision. you can go check out their mask.

BP/W set up are mostly the same.... i have been using my DSS rig since 2005, their kydex BP is pretty lightweight and was a major consideration for me when I travel.

regs are also very much personal taste.... should go for 1 where u can get it serviced somewhere convenient for you. i had a beuchat VX 10 many years and had lots of problems getting it serviced. had to order parts from france. check out what your LDS carry and see if there is anything you like. for me i alternate between my scubapro Mk25/S600 and my Apex ATX 200. both are 8 years old and still going strong.

you can always change the hose to whatever length suits you.

hope this helps.

Ian

Any reason to get strap (which seems to be everyones preference) compared to full foot?
kirikuru:
reason for using bootie + fin is sometimes we do shore dives or go to a place where you would not want to walk barefoot before/after a dive.
YES, plus there will be plenty of times where you want some neoprene / insulation on your feet, which the boots provide and full-foot fins do not.
ArubaDiverJ:
For masks I am looking for a panoramic frameless mask, obviously with tempered glass.
As noted fit is everything. Frameless masks are fine; why a 'panoramic' mask? I suggest you consider a low volume mask to start with.
ArubaDiverJ:
I would prefer a padded strap
Why?

So if I am using a strapped fin instead of a full footed you would reccomend wearing booties? As for finning style I was told only to use the flutter during my owc but after reading here I will try a few different types next time I dive.

As far a panoramic I figured it would increase visibility as while I was always searching for my buddy and while turning my head my body would also roll slightly. I know I should work on control more but I figured the panoramic view would aid. Plus as I eventually want to move into photography it souls give me abetter surrounding view to see new things.

as for the padded strap, while doing my cert I had used both styles and was more comfortable with the padding. No reason other than that. Any draw backs to that style that I may not be aware of?

This was sent from my phone so sorry for any spelling mistakes.

Don't buy a mask because it has a padded strap. You can add one to any mask later. mask strap - Search Results for mask strap - www.leisurepro.com Or buy ours: http://scubaboardstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=59&osCsid=jv4j3s5hfpn40at1h6i4h835l6

Buy the one that fits and doesn't leak. I shoot video (always) with a single window clear silicon mask and don't have any problems locating my buddy or tracking things. I use a Tusa Visualator. Tusa Visualator Mask (M-14) It is a big face mask though. Most of the hard 3-window pano masks are going to be larger volume also.

If you decide on the F1's Scubatoys has the yellow tips (factory blemish) for $99. XL only. Factory Blemished Hollis F1 Yellow Tip Fins Blow Out discounts on sale Hollis

I'd buy a reg before I bought a BC. People don't throw-up through BC's...:D

So if I am using a strapped fin instead of a full footed you would reccomend wearing booties?
Definitely, among other things to reduce friction on bare skin, and accompanying blisters / sore spots.
As for finning style I was told only to use the flutter during my owc but after reading here I will try a few different types next time I dive.
PLEASE, try to learn to frog kick. You will never regret it.
As far a panoramic I figured it would increase visibility as while I was always searching for my buddy and while turning my head my body would also roll slightly.
I started with a 'panoramic', 3-window mask, for essentially the same reasons. It was also a large volume mask. I found, ultimately, that I prefer a simple, low volume, dual lens, mask, and that I can easily turn my head, as needed, to see whatever I want to see.
As for the padded strap, while doing my cert I had used both styles and was more comfortable with the padding. No reason other than that.
Find a mask that fits you, then put a slap strap on it, if needed. Most people (specifically males) do not find a need.

I also started with a panoramic and then tried a low volume mask. Have not looked back since. And if you are always having to look around for your buddy a mask is not going to help. What will help is working on proper buddy skills. Once you get those down you won't need to look for him/her. They will always be where they are supposed to be. How much time was spent on buddy skills in your OW class? How much was it stressed that you and your buddy should always be in proper position? Did they insist you stay in proper buddy formation so that all it took was less than a 1/4 turn of the head to know where your buddy was - at most?

That is what you want to strive for and two things will go a long way towards getting there. First is speed. Slowest diver sets the pace. Period. On descents, swims, and ascents. If you are having to look back for your buddy you need to slow down. They do not need to speed up.

Next is position. On descents and ascents - eye to eye contact the entire time. On swims - shoulder to shoulder. How far apart will depend on conditions. At most I want to be within a fin kick of my buddy. Otherwise we are not buddies. We are in the same body of water at the same time and we should figure on self rescue if anything happens. Which I am ok with as long as it's understood up front.

At the least, in bad vis - touch contact at all times.

I try and buy US made!

Mask
- Cressi fits larger faces. Many manufactures make a small and regular so that helps folks with narrow faces. What fits is what is good. I dive Atomic but I have an easy to fit face.

Fins - The most important thing for me is comfort. I want a comfortable foot pocket generally with a soft rubber pocket. All the massive discussions you read on SB boils down to noise! :D People do NOT move quickly underwater and the difference between $500 fins and $50 fins is not as much as one would think. Full Foot fins are great for boat diving in tropical water. Wear a neoprene sock always or get used to blisters. Boots are a good idea even with FF fins but you need to plan as socks/boots can add to the foot size. I like Biofins, Quattros, and Manta Rays (which may be out of business). FF fins are faster than open heel. Spring straps are a nice option when using open heel fins.

BC - I like Zeagle Back inflate BC's for travel and in general. Unfortunately their BC's are made mostly overseas. But they can fix anything stateside and Zeagle is a US company. Some of the top of the line BCs are made here in the US, like the Ranger LTD. I dive a steel BP/STA for cold water diving. I hate the weight belt vs a weight system and use the DUI weight system when diving a BP.

Regs - Zeagle regs are made in the USA. They are easy to get serviced and built to last. Atomic are also made in the US I think. Regs are about what is easy to get serviced, and made in the USA is a good thing. Most regs are easy to get serviced if you are willing to mail them which I am.

I also started with a panoramic and then tried a low volume mask. Have not looked back since. And if you are always having to look around for your buddy a mask is not going to help. What will help is working on proper buddy skills. Once you get those down you won't need to look for him/her. They will always be where they are supposed to be. How much time was spent on buddy skills in your OW class? How much was it stressed that you and your buddy should always be in proper position? Did they insist you stay in proper buddy formation so that all it took was less than a 1/4 turn of the head to know where your buddy was - at most?

That is what you want to strive for and two things will go a long way towards getting there. First is speed. Slowest diver sets the pace. Period. On descents, swims, and ascents. If you are having to look back for your buddy you need to slow down. They do not need to speed up.

Next is position. On descents and ascents - eye to eye contact the entire time. On swims - shoulder to shoulder. How far apart will depend on conditions. At most I want to be within a fin kick of my buddy. Otherwise we are not buddies. We are in the same body of water at the same time and we should figure on self rescue if anything happens. Which I am ok with as long as it's understood up front.

At the least, in bad vis - touch contact at all times.

Thanks for more feedback. I guess I will try a regular frameless mask instead of the panoramic as it seems as if the consensus is that it is not needed. They did not spend much time overviewing the buddy system. Although the instructor emphasised it during ascend/decesnt and during drills which require a buddy ie towing, air sharing. Through out the dive the buddy system was not as concentrated on. Although I am aware of the importance of having a buddy it was difficult to implement this underwater during our dive. Now I will make sure to have that conversation with my buddy prior to going under.

As I am familiar with the frog kick I was told during the dives to use the flutter. Next time I am down under I will be working on my other kicks. I am currently looking for some local divers/dive shops to go over skills and practice with.

They did not spend much time overviewing the buddy system. Although the instructor emphasised it during ascend/decesnt and during drills which require a buddy ie towing, air sharing. Through out the dive the buddy system was not as concentrated on. Although I am aware of the importance of having a buddy it was difficult to implement this underwater during our dive. Now I will make sure to have that conversation with my buddy prior to going under.
This is (unfortunately) quite common - we talk about the importance of the buddy system during OW training, but don't spend enough time focusing on helping students learn HOW to be a good buddy. But, in fairness, there are so many things going on in OW training, and skills being learned and performed, it is not surprising. Now that you are certified, find one or more people to regularly dive with and start developing good buddy awareness.
As I am familiar with the frog kick I was told during the dives to use the flutter.
I can speculate on some of the reasons you were told that. Many students coming into an OW class know the flutter kick (a little) better than the frog kick, and it is all too easy for an instructor to say, 'I want you to finish this course with mastery of one finning technique - since you know the flutter, concentrate on it.' I don't happen to use that approach, and I make an effort to have all OW students use the frog kick starting with the first pool session, UNLESS it is simply impossible for them to learn to use it in the time available, and/or trying to do so becomes a distraction. After all, it is a diving instruction course, not a swimming instruction course. Another possibility is that your instructor was someone who doesn't use the frog kick on a regular basis. What I have found is that once you start using it as your primary finning technique, it becomes so natural that doing anything else feels a bit odd. Interestingly enough, there is an entire thread on the very issue of the flutter kick active on SB right now (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba.../429838-why-do-we-teach-flutter-kick-all.html).
Next time I am down under I will be working on my other kicks. I am currently looking for some local divers/dive shops to go over skills and practice with.
Good for you.

Back
Top Bottom