new diver stronger currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sufur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So i am a new diver did the OW in april and then the AOW and nitrox in June. i have a total of 12 dives.

Im going to be traveling in and around thailand(bangkok, phuket and pattaya for sure), phillipines(not sure about any locations here), in about 3 months and im hoping to do some diving. i have a month to play with.

In reading on the boards. Some ppl have recommended that new divers not dive on LOB because they might cause some sites to be skipped because of there skill lvl. New divers not being skilled enough to dive in stronger currents. How does one become skilled at diving in stronger currents? Cause it seems some of the best diving sites around the world are in stronger currents.

One of the sites i am hoping to visit is the similian islands. I would very much like to try at least one LOB dive on this trip as it seems the best way to do the most diving.

Ok Sufur,

First, you will have no problems diving anywhere around Thailand with your skill level. I run a liveaboard in the Similans and have never had anybody have to miss a dive because of their experience level. With you being AOW you will be able to see all of the dive sites.

The question about diving in current is a fantastic one. You will become skilled in diving in strong currents by diving in strong currents with an experienced instructor. I am not going to try and sell you a Drift Diver course, however that is an option. The best way to do it is to speak to the dive shop and the dive guides and ask them your questions. I regularly get people coming on the boat fresh from their OW course and they still do the dives. We teach them how to drift dive!
For Free!

The liveaboard is the best way to see the similans, not only for value for money, but also for the range on different diving that you do.

PM me for more info an thailand diving, i know Pattaya, Phuket and the Similans very well.

Cheers

I must agree with Supershark, the only way to learn how to dive in strong current is to do it!
When you come to the Philppines get down to General Santos and you can test our currents here, they are great!

most of the dives ive done so far were drift dives. and when i did AOW i did the drift speciality. but i wouldnt classify any of the currents i dived in to be strong.

Good answer, what would you think of as a strong current?

I know that many of the good dive sites in Pattaya have very strong current, and we get them in the Similans also.

I think you are worrying too much about the current, just come out here and dive.

You are asking the right questions but thinking a bit too much!

Cheers

Diving effectively in current is a skill acquired with experience. However, a well taught Drift Diver course can give you a jump-start.

As with so many questions asked on this forum, the biggest preparation you can do is to get your basics right!

Work on your weighting, for correct buoyancy and trim. Dive in a very horizantal trim position, to minimise your frontal area affected by any current. Configure your equipment for maximum streamlining. Maintain good buoyancy so that you can stay close to the bottom or a wall, where water friction and turbulance will considerably lessen the flow of water.

Get into the habit of performing correct buddy checks...and then practice making swift descents and negative descents.

Purchase a DSMB and reel....and practice deploying them for ascent, so that you are slick and safe with that equipment.

i dive a bp/w and and maintain good streamlining. i try not to let anything dangle and im pretty decent at maintaining a horizontal position but i need a lot more practice

i do have a finger spool and smb on order that im hoping to practice with when i get there.

Try to start from an average dive with some current. See how you like it. Talk with the guides. Ask them questions where you had any problems or doubts.

Always Listen to the guide when he/she is giving the dive site briefing. When you are briefed properly you will be much confident about the dive. As you all know it contains a lot of important information that a diver needs to know before being there.

Nothing to worry ... Dont think too much..

Have fun....

Last edited:
Dont think too much..

hahahahaha thats gonna be tough for me. always stuck in the details.

In struggling with my enfeebled memory to remember my one liveaboard experience in the area, the only time I remember having a really challenging experience with the currents was on a night dive at Richelieu Rock. We did several day dives there that had mild currents, but the night dive was, well, interesting.

Don't worry about it, and have a great time. I certainly did.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom