New Diver Wetsuit Question - New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NY2RI4RY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All,

I just received my PADI certification and I'll be diving with my instructor and a few other veterans all summer. I'm in Newport, RI, and plan on diving mostly in the New England/Long Island Sound area. I've worn a number of different wetsuits, and I would like to buy ONE wetsuit for now that I can use throughout the entire season. Even when the surface temp is warm, in NE it will always be significantly colder at depth.

I'm thinking about getting a 7mm 1-piece jumpsuit, and I figure if I get hot I can always let water in as opposed to going for less Neoprene and being cold. I don't mind paying a little more for my suit, as long as it is comfortable, durable, and warm. I've heard good things about the Henderson Gold Core and Hyperstretch (but I've heard the Hyperstretch shows significant ware with Velcro and other gear).

In short, my main question is a do you guys think a 1-piece is the way to go (plus hood, gloves, boots, etc) and do you recommend any particular brands or styles at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Congrats on getting certified!

I have a Scubapro Nova Scotia (6.5 semi dry) that I love. I have dived in Puget Sound in 47 degree water and stayed warm. Water exchange through the suit is minimal. Most of the time my chest would be completely dry after the dive. I must say that if you have the money, nothing is like diving dry to stay warm. Anytime you can wear fleece PJs underwater is a good day :)

Here is a link to the suit I am talking about:
NOVA SCOTIA - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

I found mine on Craigslist for $200. I think new they are around $450-$500 if I remember right.

I don't think you will get too warm underwater where you are diving. I used to dive a lot in N.E. I grew up outside of Boston.

You may want to consider a hooded vest to wear underneath. Especially in early summer, deep diving and as the water gets cooler in the fall. Then it is time for the dry suit.

I have a Hyperstretch with about 100 dives on it. Zipper falls down on every dive. I wrap it around the velcro tab to keep it up (the "henderson wrap"). Both kneepads have fallen off. Fits well and keep me warm.

You may also want to look at the Pinnacle Elastiprene, and the Aqualung Quantum Stretch. I really liked the Aqualung product. Fit very well. The Elastiprene was really well built. Lots of doublestitching. Very little glue. The shop I tried them on at, did not have my size. Pinnacle has an "odd" sizing chart with about 20 different mens sizes. The size that usually fits me (XL) did not fit right in the crotch. When we looked at the chart it called for a size I had never heard of, which of course they didn't have in stock.

Good luck and safe diving!

JCF

I would strongly recommend reading the thread "close Call in the dressing room" a must read before you buy gear!:no:blinking:

Ok...besides my introduction, this is my first real post! This is a topic I know a lot about. I am an old time diver and if there is any other golden boys out there....they will tell you that wetsuits today just don't last as long as they use to, or keep you as warm as the ones did 20 years ago. I have finally learned why! I went Beneath the Sea about 6 years ago and met the people from Wetwear, and boy did they put things in perspective for me. The reason my old suit from the 70's was such a great suit is because it was made with Rubatex neoprene. This stuff is great! It doesn’t compress like the stuff people use today does....so you stay warmer. When I think back to diving in the 70's....no one wore dry suits or really had a need for them (unless diving some ungodly temps). Now a days no one can stay warm in a 7mm because the 7mm at 40 feet isn't a 7mm anymore...more like a 3mm. I had Wetwear make me up a suit when I was living up in New Jersey and I stayed toasty warm. I wore a 5mm Semi-dry Full suit (with their great long zippers in the arms and legs) during the warmer months. Then when the temps dropped, I would put a 5mm Short sleeve shorty over top of it. I also would wear either a 5 or 7 mm hood with it. I was always warm. I have since moved down to the beautiful waters of South Florida, and I had them make me up a 2mm suit for the summer here. You should check out thier website...they have a video on it where they put the material in a machine and show you how the materials compress under pressure.....it's cool! Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

I think I went a little crazy....I am always told I am a little long winded...but I'm retired so who cares! I hope I was helpful to you and I hope you have as many great years of diving as I have had!

I've worn a number of different wetsuits, and I would like to buy ONE wetsuit for now that I can use throughout the entire season. Even when the surface temp is warm, in NE it will always be significantly colder at depth.

I'm thinking about getting a 7mm 1-piece jumpsuit, and I figure if I get hot I can always let water in as opposed to going for less Neoprene and being cold.

In short, my main question is a do you guys think a 1-piece is the way to go (plus hood, gloves, boots, etc)

There's a few advantages to a one piece... it's less buoyant at the surface, it's less restrictive, and it's not as beastly hot in the summer months. However it's going to be colder in the log run, and get colder over time due to getting thinner as well as your dives getting longer.

I was diving a 2 piece 7mm in New England. It did ok even in water temps down into the mid 30s; I was restricted to diving from about april to november however, due to air temps (as well as the water temps that tend to be a month or two behind the air temps).

Even with that, it still was only a matter of time before I had to go dry. It's just too cold up there. Granted, I was mostly diving north of Cape Cod, where you were hard pressed to find the water ever getting much above the high 40s. South of the Cape still gets the residuals from the gulf stream and can get a little warmer (I still remember being floored to get on the U-853 in 60 degree water!). But you're right, at depth it can still stay cold. I remember a number of dives off long island where the surface was in the 70s, and the bottom was in the 30s.

I would definitely look at a 2 piece; as you'll be hard pressed to truly feel hot underwater with water below the high 60s. You also, as you said, can flush water through the suit as well (I remember being in my OW class with the zipper open on my jacket).

One other tip that's helpful in those hot summer dive days... toss an ice cube suit at your lower back, and another right on the back of your neck. It'll keep you a little cooler, and by the time you get in the water it will have melted. In those colder winter days; bring a thermos of hot water and pre-load your suit with the warm water so your body doesn't expend so much energy warming up the water when you get in.

You will be diving mostly in RI where the warm gulfstream warms the ocean. A 1 piece will be fine. North of Cape Cod the water is a lot colder from the Labrador (sp) current. Even there my 7/5 hyperstretch is good for a couple months. I live on Cape cod where a 30 minute drive can get you vastly different water temps.

Zipper falls down on every dive. I wrap it around the velcro tab to keep it up (the "henderson wrap").

I wish someone had taught me this. It took me a a few dozen dives with a cold back before my brother figured this out.

I would strongly recommend reading the thread "close Call in the dressing room" a must read before you buy gear!:no:blinking:

Was it the reference to the dreaded hooded vest that prompted your warning:rofl3:
You might want to read the thread just for GP, it does provide candid information about exposure suits that ads fail to cover.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/near-misses-lessons-learned/140626-close-call-dressing-room.html

NY2RI4RY

I'm a fan of the 1 pc. "full suit". It's good on it's own and you can kick it up a notch with an assortment of vests. Just as important is how you complement the suit with boots and gloves. You can find my rambling thoughts on the topic here.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom