New diver with a silly ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randybperry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello ...
I'm a new diver and have a not so smart ? .... Do i have to buy my books at the dive shop i get my training or can i get them online. I have my ow with padi and would like to go on to the next few steps so i started buying books online ... is this an ok thing to do?

Thanks for the help ...

As long as you are buying the correct version (or edition) of book then I see nothing wrong with it. Where you may get flanked is if the place that you continue you r training with says tyhe training material is included and will not reduce the cost accordingly. This would hopefully not happen but ya never know.

No, it's extremely dangerous to buy such critical reference materials online. Well, at least it's dangerous to the insane mark up policy on PADI books.

I concur with Scuba Steve. So long as you bought the latest version of the books, you should be ok.

I recommend buying from eBay. There's a seller there that specializes in good prices on current PADI products.

The only problem that we experience is that the book is usally packaged with the certification card. If you buy the book online Im not sure that you will get the certification card. That means that when you come to the dive centre you still have to buy the book to get the certification card. However this does depend on how the dive centre certifies you. If they do this online then you may get away with it but if not, in our part of the world, you will simply have to pay again !

The only problem that we experience is that the book is usally packaged with the certification card. If you buy the book online Im not sure that you will get the certification card. That means that when you come to the dive centre you still have to buy the book to get the certification card. However this does depend on how the dive centre certifies you. If they do this online then you may get away with it but if not, in our part of the world, you will simply have to pay again !

Actually you will not receive a certification card until after you have completed all your training. I assume what you are referring to is the PIC, which is the paperwork that you and your instructor fill out to be sent in to receive your certification card. This is bought by the dive shop separately from the book. If they happen to throw it in with the book then that's what they do, but you can certainly purchase this item separately.

No problem w/buying your books online as long as they are the correct version. But, check w/the dive shop through which you plan on doing your actual dive training to make sure they'll discount you the cost of books...if not, you might as well purchase through them if the books are included. Good luck!

It's complicated! First, there is anecdotal evidence that there are PADI materials sold on eBay where the Knowledge Reviews have been removed. These are required and checked by the instructor. One way PADI protects their copyright is by insisting that the instructor review original copies. After review, you are to sign the review. More often than not, you keep the reviews in the book. There is also anecdotal evidence that some instructors insist on them being removed and turned in. Apparently, this isn't required.

So, beware! You can easily get ripped.

Now, if you buy the Crewpack you will get a book, an eRDP w/ Instructions, a Student Folder (which the shop keeps to maintain info re: your training), a log book and a PIC card. If you buy the book online, you still need the other stuff. This Crewpack costs $44 PADI ERDP Crew Pack

If the shop you are using uses the normal dive tables (and not the eRDP) then you can get a different Crewpack for $40 PADI Open Water Crewpack with Tables

More often than not, the eRDP will be the method of choice. PADI is really pushing it as a simplified way of dealing with diven tables.

Scuba is a very expensive sport. If $44 for the training materials is a problem, you're really going to hate the cost of everything else.

Richard

Thanks everyone for the help ... I had some gift cards to barns and nobles to use and thought this would be a good thing to use them on .... but maybe not i guess i just need to call my dive shop ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom