New divers, Cozumel April 4-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SurprisedOutlet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all!

My fiance and I got our OW certs last April in Cozumel. We are heading back this April to log a bunch of dives to practice skills and become more proficient. We will be staying at El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel. They have an on site dive shop and the ability to shore dive right there. We will be bringing our new scuba gear to use.

Our DM for our certs last year was Juan J. Gonzales who goes by the name Porfelio. We had a great time with him and hope to dive with him this trip. I'm not sure what dive op he works at as we booked through Cozumel-Tours. If anyone knows him or where he works, let me know.

I'm currently trying to prioritize the dive sites I want to see that match my n00b skills. So any suggestions for must-see sites are welcome.

Next summer, we will be getting married and our honemoon will be in Roatan and we want to stay at Coco-View.

I am a newbie diver who just took a trip to Cozumel in December. We found that the dive sites were determined on the boat; and the DM knows much better what the best sites are than I as a newbie would know. We just went where the boat took us and didn't have a bad dive. We dove 10 different sites: all fabulous.

Any of the sites can be must-see, depending on what one wants to see. Since they're all new to you, just go with the flow, log the site names so you know where you've been.

I'm curious about your choice of Coco View for a honeymoon, though. In my experience, dedicated dive resorts are not the most romantic setting. For instance, meals are buffet style and I'm not even sure if you can get your own table for 2. They're great for diving, great for socializing and meeting new people, but the only "alone time" you'll get is when you're back in your room. I know tastes vary, but be aware you'll be sharing your honeymoon with a lot of other people.

Agree with Mossman. Coco View is great for diving but I'm not sure it is the best place for a honeymoon. Can I suggest Couples Negril in Jamaica. Very romantic and the diving is free. (2 trips/day). Not the greatest diving (compared to Cozumel or Roatan) but there is no current and it is a great place to practise your skills. Maybe even go for your AOW there. Instructors Sugar & Richard are the best.

Check out their website including their message board. Negil is our favourite as there is less chance of "red flag = no diving" than on the Ocho Rios side.

Couples Resorts® All Inclusive Resorts - Best Jamaica Vacations | Couples Resorts®

Vacation in tropical paradise at Couples Negril by Couples Resorts®. Luxurious, all-inclusive hotel in Jamaica. Book your dream vacation today!

Couples Resorts Message Board

Betty

Cozumel has more colors, depends on your preference, when I was in Jamaica the reefs and sea life were pretty dead, over fished. if you both really want to dive then cozumel is the best choice. Im heading there myself in march and cant wait to get there. Ive never dove there but hear great things. Roatan was also very nice as well. Thats diving, honey moons your on your own. LOL

There are dive shops in Cozumel that give divers choice for sites - boat concensus tho. They might be able to pick up at your hotel but I am not familar with El Cid La Ceiba. I can't tell if you are booked with your onsite dive op now.

Cozumel has more colors, depends on your preference, when I was in Jamaica the reefs and sea life were pretty dead, over fished. if you both really want to dive then cozumel is the best choice. Im heading there myself in march and cant wait to get there. Ive never dove there but hear great things. Roatan was also very nice as well. Thats diving, honey moons your on your own. LOL

You should qualify your comment on Jamaica as indicating that is your opinion of diving Ocho Rios (per your profile). I can assure you, with a sampling that is less than two years old, that your reference does not reflect the diving available from other parts of the island, such as Negril. I will agree that even Negril does not offer the healthy environment that Cozumel and a protected marine park offer (however in our ten years experience of diving there, it keeps getting better), but your generalization is inaccurate.

it has been my experience that the DMs in Coz have thousands of dives on every possible inch of the reef. I would go with the flow, and tell them what you would like. have a great time.

Back
Top Bottom