New divers, Cozumel April 4-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We probably need a sticky along the lines of "what are the best Cozumel dive sites?" or "what are the must-see Cozumel dive sites?".

It should say something like:

All of them.

Seriously.

Each site has its advantages and disadvantages. Each varies constantly, so a site that's a bit blah one day can be glorious the next, and vice-versa. Some sites are difficult to access under certain weather and sea conditions. Some will thrill divers interested in a particular thing and bore others not interested in that thing. Some aren't very appropriate for beginning divers. Many sites appropriate for beginners are nevertheless hugely enjoyable by very advanced divers.

The upshot is that without knowing a lot of detail about a particular diver and the conditions that day, the question really isn't answerable. Tell your dive operator what you like and are looking for then trust them to make recommendations, because they want you to have the best possible experience and thrive on loyal repeat business. There is also a bit of an art in matching divers on a boat to minimize having different divers have to surface at different times due to varying air consumption and to maximize overlap of interests.

I know tastes vary, but be aware you'll be sharing your honeymoon with a lot of other people.

Probably a fair warning if they haven't thought it through but people honeymoon in different ways. I think using a honeymoon as a chance to get a dive vacation in is a great idea.
I went on a ski trip for my honeymoon and may have set a record with least amount of time spent with spouse on honeymoon. We got "alone time" at night; but on the slopes he mostly skied advanced hills and I did beginner ones. We met up for lunch. At least diving is a buddy sport.

I'm currently trying to prioritize the dive sites I want to see that match my n00b skills. So any suggestions for must-see sites are welcome.

In my opinion you're way too green to be worrying about steering toward any specific dive sites. If you're trying to get to the 'best', you probably don't qualify experience wise to get to them yet, if you're worried about avoiding the 'worst', there aren't really any to avoid, especially this early in your diving where everything is new and exciting anyways. Just let the divemaster or the rest of the boat decide for now and enjoy the ride.

Do a bunch of shallow shore dives with you and your buddy and work on your buddy skills and ability to dive without a dive master, that will be invaluable on becoming a more proficient diver.

Coco-View for a Honeymoon, :confused: Now that's interesting..... One of the best shark dives is in Roatan.
Coco-View, the thing I remember most is the ___________________________ food.

Coco-View for a Honeymoon, :confused: Now that's interesting..... One of the best shark dives is in Roatan.
Coco-View, the thing I remember most is the ___________________________ food.
Well, it's probably better than doing a Blackbeard's for their honeymoon :)

That shark dive was amazing. Got to swim alongside them, close enough to touch, just like they were harmless little turtles.

Ugh. I typed a huge reply and then the window crashed when I hit reply. Oh well...

Anyway, I was just trying to educate myself as much as possible about the various dive sites that are appropriate for my skill level, which is n00b.

The plan is to do several shore dives right at El Cid to get some skills practice and get our weighting and equipment dialed in. After that we will get on a boat.

As far as my honeymoon, we didn't set a wedding date until we picked the timing and location of the honeymoon. We decided on Coco View after watching lots of videos, reading lots of reviews and talking with other divers at our LDS who have been there. We didn't just throw darts at a map. We picked late July because we want a chance to see whale sharks.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I am not an instructor so these are my opinions only. Always seek competent advice.

In recent years there have been a few fatalities where a person goes missing and how that happened never appears in this forum. My suggestion is that new divers should actively seek to improve many skills. They should also have the ability to calmly and safely be able to surface if they are separated from their buddy/group.

While that is a skill taught in open water class, you are never alone. Add in current and a real solo scenario may lead to panic.

It may be that in some of the cases, the buddy system broke down.

I would consider hiring a dedicated instructor/divemaster for a day to help you gain experience in scenarios that could lead to problems. Examples include:

1) You get way ahead of the group (possibly out of sight) (Buddy team)
2) You fall way behind the group (possibly out of sight) (Buddy team)
3) Same as #1 and #2 but you are alone.
4) Simulate a solo ascent at the end of the dive. This might be done with each diver of the buddy team facing away from each other and the instructor/DM acts as a control on depth. Be able to safely perform a safety stop as a buddy team and solo.
5) Learn to use a SMB/safety sausage.
6) Learn to listen for boats before surfacing and maintaining boat vigilance while on the surface.
7) Learn how to keep buddy contact while in swim throughs.
8) Consider safe responses to a group going in a swim through and one of your buddy team decides to not enter it. This could include learning how to follow bubbles filtering up through the coral plus deciding whether you ascend and try to follow the group, stay at the same depth and find the next huge opening in a coral system or some other solution.

This is just a sampling of possible scenarios that you can practice under the guidance of an instructor/DM to help you gain experience so that if a real situation develops, you will be able to respond calmly.

Hi Surprised!
Love Cozumel!!!! Been there a bunch of times.
We stayed at El Cid for the last 2 years, and are planning a return at the same time as you. We dive with Babeica, the on site dive op. They leave at a nice 8:30 am so you don't have to rush around in the mornings. We have had the best luck with the DM's there. And the only bad thing I can say is they are very protective of the reef. So you need to make sure the gear is tucked away, not dangling, you are properly weighted, and can follow directions. Just relax, and follow the crowd. The reef in front of El Cid is....well not spectacular, but works for getting in a bubble check. Mostly rubble bottom with a few clumps of coral. If the waves are up it is tricky getting in and out. The mega pier is located close to the resort and you are not allowed to be in the area when ships are in. So really the only day, ships are not in is Sunday. Try to get a room in the 3 story side, it is much closer to the dive shop to shlep gear back & forth. There are storage cubbies at the dive shop you can ask for when you 1st talk to Juan Carlos the Dive operations manager. There is no charge for them if you dive with Babecia. But if you dive with a different op they don't let you use them. The boats are very fast and usually have 8 divers, sometimes there are more but they run another DM and split the group up. I could yak for another page, but really should go and accomplish something. Feel free to pm me if you need more info... Would love to help, that is the best thing about our Scubaboard group!

Thanks CheddarChick. We stayed there last year and I snorkeled all around so I know whats on the bottom there. We intend to do a couple dives there for practice and getting comfy with our new gear and to get weighted properly. Looking forward to our trip, maybe we will see you there.
-John & Tami

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom