New Divers...Don't forget this before you hit the water!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on where you dive and what your normal ("socialized") and out of the country plan covers.
This.

For domestic diving and AFAIK in all of the EU, I'm covered. For everything medical. Period. I'm paying for that perk every year through my taxes.
For diving otside EU, my ordinary travel insurance card says: "Medical expenses - unlimited" (it's even got that printed on the card), and the last time I checked, that insurance covers SCUBA diving down to 40m. That's way beyond my personal limit, so I'm fine with that.
So I don't see any need for a separate DAN insurance. I love socialized healthcare :cool2:

This.

For domestic diving and AFAIK in all of the EU, I'm covered. For everything medical. Period. I'm paying for that perk every year through my taxes.
For diving otside EU, my ordinary travel insurance card says: "Medical expenses - unlimited" (it's even got that printed on the card), and the last time I checked, that insurance covers SCUBA diving down to 40m. That's way beyond my personal limit, so I'm fine with that.
So I don't see any need for a separate DAN insurance. I love socialized healthcare :cool2:

Sounds like a Communist plot to me ....:wink:

This.

By the sound of it I take it you have Europeiske (quite posssibly through Gjensidige) and if that's the case, yes it is indeed 40m (I double checked it this summer as I thought it was 30m) :)

With regards to diving without insurance - I think all the liability forms I've seen has wanted me to disclose THAT I have insurance and which agency, or buy one which was offered by the dive shops, I think through DAN and probably at murder rates compared to having a year-round policy.
On the liveaboard this summer they actually required written proof of said insurance (which is why I double checked the depth limit, not that 30m woulda been a problem in the first place).

there are many solutions available. DAN is just one. And you may find it does not cover everything. so you may also need additional coverage.

my blue cross policy is serves our needs better as it covers us for ALL of our travel. not just scuba. Cancellation, trip interuption and full medical. blue cross gives us a single policy that covers all aspects, so we do not need to worry about who is going to cover what.

Sounds like a Communist plot to me ....:wink:
Probably is. We're all brainwashed on this side of the pond, you know.

By the sound of it I take it you have Europeiske
Yep.

I double checked it this summer as I thought it was 30m)
I checked last summer because I didn't have a clue :)

There is no secret when it comes to health insurance...if you come from the USA your insurance pretty much sucks. We can put a man on the moon and make a Twinkie last 50 years ( :wink:) but when it comes to affordable health care...we are screwed.

So for us DAN dive insurance is such a bargain.

There is no secret when it comes to health insurance...if you come from the USA your insurance pretty much sucks. We can put a man on the moon and make a Twinkie last 50 years ( :wink:) but when it comes to affordable health care...we are screwed.

So for us DAN dive insurance is such a bargain.
Soo true...all insurance seems to be expensive till you need it! The DAN is a bargain even if you never use it.

Back
Top Bottom