new divers! gear choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

an Air Integrated computer - either a hosed model or a wrist model with transmitter (which btw adds $3-400 to the price of most)
To put this in perspective: a basic dive computer is $200, Eon Steel with transmitter is close to $2,000 (to buy: their resp. MSRPs may be another story). Console air-integrated computers are around $500 which is about the same as "lite tek" non-ai ones: geo2, giotto, etc.

Also full-foot fins with boots is an unusual configuration to say the least. Most divers consider full-foot fins for snorkeling but use open heel fins/boots for diving. On Kona you may find partly the reverse is true - boat staff often use full-foot fins for ease of getting in/out since they're often the last one off/first one on the boat. I dive at many of the better known dive destinations and I have yet to see a diver with full-foot fins - maybe once. In places like Bonaire - it will result in your feet getting shredded before you even get out deep enough to put them on.

Interesting! The 2mm booties let me walk around (otherwise my tender feet would have me screaming like a little girl), then my booted foot fits in the full-foot fins perfectly. I couldn't wear any type of fin without booties, too much chafing for my thin skin. Wife does the same. Maybe we invented something? Join the future!

You can pay to have a mouthpiece changed on a rental regulator - they run about $20 plus labor if any. But plan to pay the rental for the entire dive period since that ties up the use of their regulator. Another eeww!! to consider is that people get seasick on dive boats. And you will be taught to expel thru your regulator - not remove it - if you have to.

Oh god... oh god that is such a nasty thought! You're making me want to shop for a regulator!

No one is going to really be comfortable with you adding your gauges/computer transmitter to their regulator.

Makes sense. Damn, 10x a regular dive computer or even $300-500 is a bit much anyway for me right now anyway!

Dirty little secret about your shop - they may be selling you the best gear or they may be selling you the gear with their best margin - so do car dealers - it's a business.

Aye, also with a 10% local tax I prefer to shop online. Narrowing down choices for products can be a challenge when the options are basically all products, but I like doing the research. I'm still looking at wetsuits, haven't gotten to dive computers yet. It would be nice to try things on, but we are pretty average sized people. The Fourth Element and Waterproof brands look nice. You have a good point on going too thick being mitigated by unzipping while the reverse just means you freeze. I like the idea of a high tech suit that is lighter and easier to travel with and dry, but has the warmth of a typical thicker suit. Maybe the Waterproof 3.5mm (while not high tech material) is a good choice since we are only going to have a single wetsuit, for now.

Good tip to bundle up after the manta ray dive! Thanks for all your input. :)

Hi guys! I'm new, both here and to diving. My wife and 2 friends tried diving in the Maldives, we did "discover scuba" and it was freaking amazing! We did it again the same day, and 2 more dives the next day. It's now a year later and we have planned a trip to Seattle to visit fam, then to Big Island, Hawaii. In Seattle we'll get our Open Water (4 dives) and nitrox (for safety, not longer bottom time) certs. In Hawaii we'll do 5 boat dives, 1 manta ray night dive, and 1 blackwater dive.

The blackwater dive requires Advanced Open Water or 25 dives. We don't meet the requirements (it'll be our 15th dive) so they agreed to evaluate us (calmness, buoyancy) on the other dives then decide if we can do the blackwater. I really hope we do well and get to go! Part of what sold them on doing an evaluation was that diving in Seattle is difficult (cold, low vis).

Anyway, I hope that wasn't too much backstory! :p Since we are now dedicated to scuba, I'd like to get some gear from the start:

• A BCD is bulky and expensive, so I guess we should rent?
  • A regulator isn't a personal item (except the part that goes in your mouth, eww!) so should we also rent that?
  • Our own dive computer sounds good for safety. It'll be good to have when doing Open Water so we'll get familiar with it.
  • I like the idea of a tank gauge that is also a dive computer, since then the computer knows the air remaining. Is it usual to rent a regulator but use your own gauge/computer?
  • I think having our own wetsuits would be nice. I'm looking at the Radiator 1.5mm steamer (look at me, using the terminology already!). Is that a good choice considering we'll probably only dive in warm conditions? (21C+ or 70F+ water) For some reason they don't have a ladies 1.5mm steamer. Should we get the 0.5mm suffice? The general consensus seems to be that the Radiator suits are equivalent to a +1mm typical suit.
  • Did I miss any equipment we might find useful as newbies?

Nate,

When are you coming to Seattle? Have you signed up already with an open water class. Two shops (that I know of) teach drysuit with open water. I can check prices for you. Do you have an agency preference? I'll be open in that I'm a divemaster with Bellevue Divers (PADI) which has an amazing Course Director. You can try in the pool before you buy. However some things, like BCD, you won't be using in the cold water. I absolutely love my XDeep Ghost (less than 5 pounds and easily fits in carryon), but that is a warm water BCD. You won't use it for your OW class here, but that is fine, the shop will provide everything. Even if you are a vacation diver only (but do go on dive vacations often, which I get a sense you will), I recommend owning your own BCD, as the quality and fit may not be consistent when you travel. I would hold off on the regs and vie computers for now. For wetsuit, I'd recommend a 5 mm one, as that will work in many different conditions (from the cenotes in the Yucatan where it barely does the job to warmer conditions).

You missed a good mask. You want a mask that fits well. It doesn't have to be expensive. It just has to fit well. The last thing you want on a dive is a mask that leaks at all.

Regardless of where you do you open water class, get in touch with me and I'll be happy to take you diving around some of the local sites. I won't take you deeper than 60', but there is plenty for you to see at that depth and shallower. Feel free to PM me as well as you like for other questions.

Kosta

When are you coming to Seattle? Have you signed up already with an open water class.

We in Seattle and available to do classes 9/21 to 10/14 (inclusive). I've been talking to Jim at Lighthouse Diving. He's assured me via phone that he can fit us in during that time and that he'd email soon. That was 2 days ago, which makes me a bit nervous. Our dates mean we'd miss 2 of the 4 classroom days, so I'm not sure what his pricing will be. Normal group sessions are $250 tuition + $109 book = $359/person. Private sessions are $399 + $109 book = $508/person. I'm not sure if he'll let us do half private and the rest group, somehow make up the group sessions, or make us do all private. We haven't paid yet.

Honestly I'm not super happy that he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I've emailed and called each day to make sure he hasn't forgotten (though not today). Due to this, I'm open to changing schools.

Two shops (that I know of) teach drysuit with open water. I can check prices for you. Do you have an agency preference? I'll be open in that I'm a divemaster with Bellevue Divers (PADI) which has an amazing Course Director. You can try in the pool before you buy.

We'd like to do PADI. I don't want any shortcuts, I want really good, thorough instruction for my people and I. We are staying in West Seattle, but could make the drive to Bellevue. I looked at Bellevue Divers, but it seems they only do dry suit, so I passed. I'd like to not have to pay extra for dry suit, since we are unlikely to need it. Trying before buying is nice, that could be worth a drive no matter where we get training.

The XDeep Ghost looks neat!

5mm sounds like a lot, though I don't pretend like I know much. :) I've emailed the dive center in the Maldives to ask how thick the wetsuit was there, since that is my only experience.

I have a mask and it has been working well for snorkeling at the Croatian seaside where I live. It's a Cressi Panoramic Wide View. The annoying thing is that I have facial hair, so I've been having to shave my upper lip. In the Maldives I didn't have shaving gear and hadn't planned to dive or even realized that was an issue, so I spent about half my tank blowing water out of my mask every dive!

Regardless of where you do you open water class, get in touch with me and I'll be happy to take you diving around some of the local sites. I won't take you deeper than 60', but there is plenty for you to see at that depth and shallower. Feel free to PM me as well as you like for other questions.

That sounds really cool, thanks! We'd just need to rent gear somewhere.

The annoying thing is that I have facial hair, so I've been having to shave my upper lip.
I do also. This helps...
Vaseline-Lip-Therapy-450x450_tcm103-294405.jpg
The 2mm booties let me walk around...then my booted foot fits in the full-foot fins perfectly.
This is similar to what you'll buy/rent in Seattle - a 7MM boot with some tread. So plan on renting fins also. Otherwise your feet will freeze. Bring your fins/boots for Kona though - they'll work there.
Capture.JPG

2MM boots here are called dive socks..:wink:

I'm not sure you're aware that the water in Seattle is 54o today - middle of summer. Colder at depth or below the thermocline.

Last edited:
Damn, I just shaved my lip today! I will definitely try this in a few days. :D How much does it help? Can I have my full mustache back?

I can't say, I don't shave on dive trips - or a few days before but at best I'm going to have a long goatee/beard after a week. I only really start using it mid-week.

My friend has a full mustache that he's proud of and a good soft-skirt mask. He usually re-applies it between dives or anytime we sit out for a while. In fact he carries one of those little Intensive care tubes on dives - it has a screw down top. I've seen him a couple times use it on shore dives right before we drop after swimming out with our faces in the water.

I'm weird in that I like 1/4 inch of water in the bottom of the mask when I dive. I swirl my head around to clear any fogging. So I'm not the best example.

I hate to be a wet blanket, especially seeing how enthusiastic you are. I would suggest renting your gear until after your Hawaii trip. You are itching to dive into a couple thousand dollar investment, without taking some time and trying different brands and styles of gear. Once you have some experience, you will be able to make better choices.

As far as diving in Seattle, it's nothing like you experienced in the Maldives. The water is cold and the vis on a good day sucks compared to what you've experienced. If I were you, I'd enjoy visiting in Seattle, maybe do your classroom and pool work, then finish with referral OW dives in Hawaii (bag the black water and manta thing so you have time). Then you can enjoy your boat dives and your vacation.

Yikes, I can handle water surrounding my nostrils for maybe 45-60 seconds, max.

I just realized what I was calling 2mm booties is actually a 2mm sock. It seems a boot has tread, so of course would never fit in a full-foot fin.

The Fourth Element Proteus or Xenos wetsuits are looking really good. We'll go to Bellevue Divers and give them a whirl when we get to Seattle! Their "Pelagic" boot could work too, but then I'd need strap fins. That would be better for shore dives. For this trip our only shore dives will be in Seattle.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2015 at 08:46 PM ----------

Booo, the wet blanket has arrived! :wink: I'm exploring all the gear options just to get an idea of what is out there, but likely the only gear we'll buy for now will be wetsuit and dive computer, which seem like purchases that don't need a whole lot of experience. We can try on gear in Seattle before purchasing.

Doing a referral with the Open Water dives in Hawaii costs a lot more money (~$250/person more!) for 4 fewer dives. Also, I want to dive in Seattle just for the experience of it. I'm not expecting Maldives. It'll be horrible, cold, black water, then when we get to Hawaii we can properly appreciate it! :)

I just realized what I was calling 2mm booties is actually a 2mm sock. It seems a boot has tread, so of course would never fit in a full-foot fin.
I knew that. But hey:
Maybe we invented something? Join the future!
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom