new divers! gear choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah well, better to embarrass myself here than in Real Life. :wink:

---------- Post added August 27th, 2015 at 11:05 PM ----------

I've been looking at dive computers and all the great threads on this forum. It seems AI isn't terribly reliable, which makes looking at an analog gauge not so bad. Seems like I should 1) just not buy one at all yet (I'll learn tables! kidding :wink:), 2) buy a cheap one which I'm sure I'll replace, or 3) buy a very fancy one. I'm not a fan of #1 (yay gadgets!). For #2, I don't like wasting money and I don't mind spending some money if it's worthwhile. So, what fancy computer should I get? :D Still dreaming at this stage, but let's see where this goes.

I see the Petrel, watched a few youtube videos, it looks pretty neat. I get that it does more than I need, but it's easy to use and does it's job well. It's freaking massive on the arm though.

I also see the xDeep Black EANx. As has been discussed, it's pretty similar to the Petrel, cheaper (but not cheap!), and smaller. I have the impression I would not miss any features from the Petrel. It's not as proven, but it's not clear whether it is actually unsafe.

Any others in the same league, but not more expensive?

---------- Post added August 28th, 2015 at 09:13 AM ----------

Found my answers. :) The Black price has a hard time competing with the Petrel's reliability (not to mention comparing TecDiveGear's posts to the happiness of seemingly all Petrel customers). Still haven't decided between nothing, Zoop, and Petrel, but there's no rush.

Last edited:
I've been looking at dive computers and all the great threads on this forum. It seems AI isn't terribly reliable, which makes looking at an analog gauge not so bad. Seems like I should 1) just not buy one at all yet (I'll learn tables! kidding :wink:), 2) buy a cheap one which I'm sure I'll replace, or 3) buy a very fancy one. I'm not a fan of #1 (yay gadgets!). For #2, I don't like wasting money and I don't mind spending some money if it's worthwhile. So, what fancy computer should I get? :D Still dreaming at this stage, but let's see where this goes.
Wireless AI is as reliable as bluetooth headphones. In fact, occasional loss of link is far more annoying with the latter, with AI sensors it's only a problem if it doesn't come back at all. I.e. if you normally check your SPG every N minutes, you can tolerate it if the wireless link goes away for for up to N minutes: you aren't looking anyway.

I've only had a few issues with my AI transmitter. The one in Kona was due to someone on the boat forgetting to refill half the tanks, so I connected and disconnected to 5 tanks at 500-700 PSI in maybe 5 minutes, which drove the whole system a bit crazy. But it does kind of suck if you jump in the water after the DC has decided you don't have a transmitter today. It's easy to fix on the boat and possible to fix on the surface, but it requires a very specific set of steps. After you have it happen once you remember to check for it before you jump in.

But you pay a lot of money to have the data on your wrist.

Did I miss any equipment we might find useful as newbies?
On second thought you might want to check the rental rates where you're going to be diving in Kona and go from there. E.g if a camera is $55/day for 6 days, you best gear purchase might be a DC1400. Computers tend to be the next most expensive thing to rent after cameras, plus there are good reasons for having your own anyway, And so on. On Hawaii in particular I'm told you're better off paying the airline $50 for a checked-in bad full of lead than renting the weights.

For a couple of years we shipped our weights to Hawaii from the US mainland for $12 or so Priority Flat Rate each way, as the weekly rental rates had gotten to the point where you were paying the cost of the lead in two weeks. I felt bad for the postman with the 45 lb box... Then the shops came back to their senses. Weights are $5 per day if I recall, cheaper by the week. The package deals are the way to go anyway, unless you're already bringing mostly your own gear. I wouldn't worry about AI computer in either Seattle or Kona, the DMs are not going to let you overstay your tanks anyway.

I'd check about glove and boot rentals in both Seattle and Kona - is it commonplace to be able to rent gloves and boots? You won't need gloves in Hawaii, but you can get reef gloves inexpensively at Walmart and KMart. For boat diving Kona, you wouldn't need boots either if you're using full foot fins. For shore diving, they are a must.

I believe the opposite is usual: the shop will not like you putting your spg/sensor on their equipment.

Why would that be?

---------- Post added August 28th, 2015 at 08:32 PM ----------

No one is going to really be comfortable with you adding your gauges/computer transmitter to their regulator. Strip the threads and it's a paperweight. They might be willing to do it for you but don't show up 20mins. before your dives expecting that to happen. It's probably not free either if their tech has to do it twice.

I don't understand this at all. A "tech" to loosen a hose and put a new one on?

---------- Post added August 28th, 2015 at 08:36 PM ----------

We'd like to do PADI. I don't want any shortcuts, I want really good, thorough instruction for my people and I.

It's the instructor... not the agency.

I don't understand this at all. A "tech" to loosen a hose and put a new one on?

Well, that righty tighty lefty loosy thing is pretty complicated you know... LOL

Well, that righty tighty lefty loosy thing is pretty complicated you know... LOL

Complicated enough apparently that a captain recently turned the air off on one of my sidemount tanks when I was about to splash. And the valve was even of the red / green variety. Fortunately, I caught it right away.

Complicated enough apparently that a captain recently turned the air off on one of my sidemount tanks when I was about to splash. And the valve was even of the red / green variety. Fortunately, I caught it right away.

I hate it when anyone on the boat touches my valves....

On second thought you might want to check the rental rates where you're going to be diving in Kona and go from there. E.g if a camera is $55/day for 6 days, you best gear purchase might be a DC1400.

I have a camera (Canon S120, amazing pocket cam!) with a nice underwater case. It's a huge distraction and makes me an air hog, but it's fun! Here are some Maldives pics:
Olhuveli '14 - Album on Imgur

Rentals at Jack's (when doing boat dives with them) are $8.50/item, weights are free. Pretty reasonable, but adds up over a few days.

I'm pretty much set on getting the Fourth Element Xenos. I like the look and the quality seems high. Cost is about $240 at my LDS for 3mm. They'll order it so I can see how it fits before buying. I'm torn with following your guys' professional advice of getting a 5mm, or getting a 3mm and maybe being cold. FWIW, I found out I used a 3mm shorty in the Maldives and was never cold doing 2 dives/day. I have a feeling the Xenos seals very well, making it a bit warmer than most, and possibly making it a bit annoying to flush a 5mm if too hot. Worst case for waters cooler than ~23C/73F (which I already kinda doubt we'll be in) I could add a layer under my 3mm if needed. That a reasonable plan?

I looked at regulators just for kicks. The puke stories also provided motivation! So many would be just fine for my simple usage, it's hard to choose. The Scubapro MK2 for 1st stage seems to be reliable and probably sufficient for me, not sure I need swivel or >1 high pressure port or anything else. The Scubapro S360 is light and probably would work fine. I've read the ease of breath adjustment (which it lacks) is a bit of a gimmick. To go fancy would be the MK25/S600, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Maybe MK2/S600? I've read a lot of people say Apeks is the way to go, I should research those next.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2015 at 10:12 PM ----------

It's the instructor... not the agency.
Aye, someone asked which agency I wanted to use. I didn't mean that PADI was avoiding shortcuts, just a separate statement I want to do it right. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom