New Dry Suit Purchase Advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck with your purchase. When my dry suit works, it is great! I always hesitate to get into these dry suit advice threads because my personal feeling is somewhat negative towards the dry suit experience. I always advise taking a long look at your realistic need for a dry suit because I have found my dry suit to be over rated. Most have had a decent experience with the dry suit they bought but many have purchased new suits (name brands like my DUI) that leak and constantly have issues. I guess what I am trying to say is that my dry suit didn't make me warmer, it just kept me from getting colder sooner. Also, it didn't keep me completely dry, it just kept me from getting completely wet. Maybe I am being picky, but I think that the majority of people who buy dry suits don't really need them. It's a ton of money that can be better spent. If you really need one, then go for it. It can be a good thing but realize that it means more time before and after the dive and more money maintaning and fixing your suit. Basically it's one more piece of very expensive gear that requires attention and I haven't even mentioned undies, another cost and consideration. Then you have seals and pin holes, and valves that break and malfunction and...

My opinion is that boat diving in colder climates is one of the most ideal situations for a dry suit. Shore diving in SoCal can be a situation that just isn't great for dry suit diving, all though I have done it and been happy. Again, when it works, it rocks!

My point in writing this is because your LDS will likely tell you the positives about dry diving and not the negatives. Both sides exist. I admit I didn't do proper homework and just assumed my dry suit would solve all my problems. It did help with some problems but it also created more. For example, I was recently on Catalina Island and my undies got soaked (long story). So now I can't use wet undies in a DRY suit and I have to cancel my dives because it's raining and I don't have a dryer in my hotel room. Silly example, but diving dry requires keeping everything dry in a wet environment. If I brought a wet suit, no problem. Just some thoughts. I am not trying to talk you out of it nor am I bashing dry suits. Just offering another side of dry suit diving that few will mention, admiting my flare for drama. In the right environment and the right situation they are awesome!!!

If I had to do it all again I would go custom or just plain cheap like the cheap bare suit. Not in between. Have fun and be safe!

Hey Jason,
It is another well addressed post for the potential dry suit buyers. I will think over carefully your points before making decision. Thanks.

OK..I know I will be in the minority here...but I have to put in a plug for good old fashioned neoprene suits. Among their many advantages are...1. less expensive, 2. easy to repair in the unlikely event of a puncture, warmer generally than a shell suit, 3. Since I rarely need to wear any underwear except in the coldest of water (30's), there is no real issue of getting your underwear wet. My 2 cents worth

I have to disagree. They go hand in hand. If one either one is ill fitting, it really sucks and ultimtely it can be dangerous.

aquaoren:
While the fit of the dry suit itself is important, it is not as important as a good fitting pair of undergarments. This is even more true when considering a trilaminate suit :wink:

keelhaul123:
OK..I know I will be in the minority here...but I have to put in a plug for good old fashioned neoprene suits. Among their many advantages are...1. less expensive, 2. easy to repair in the unlikely event of a puncture, warmer generally than a shell suit, 3. Since I rarely need to wear any underwear except in the coldest of water (30's), there is no real issue of getting your underwear wet. My 2 cents worth

Me Too !I like my Bare 6 Neoprene,its just like my 7mm wet suit,just a bit more lead,and I dont need $150.00 on underwear,and I can go from one to the other with just a hose change,And yep they save you money for more air fills!

the absolute best bet is to spend a few bucks on rentals and try a out different brands and materials out, then decide which one work best for your needs and wallet

Dan Gibson:
I have to disagree. They go hand in hand. If one either one is ill fitting, it really sucks and ultimtely it can be dangerous.
That's good for you.
You may have noticed that I didn't talk in my post about ill fitting gear but about the fact that a better fitting UG is more important than a better fitting suit.
Oh, and BTW, last time I checked diving in general can be ultimtely dangerous. :wink:

I've got the Bare ATR HD from divetank.com with about 30 dives on it now. Awesome suit, warm and dry. I couldn't ask for more.

If you initially meant a quality set of undergarments and didn't really mean the "good fiiting" undergarments, then I would have agreed that without the proper undergarments the shell means nothing. However, that's not exactly how you typed it. You stated a "good fitting pair of undergarments". To me, this meant fit was what you were implying.

Yes, the quality of the undergarments is the first place to start, then you must get the undergarments sized correctly and finally the shell sized correctly. The whole package is only as good as the weakest link.

aquaoren:
That's good for you.
You may have noticed that I didn't talk in my post about ill fitting gear but about the fact that a better fitting UG is more important than a better fitting suit.
Oh, and BTW, last time I checked diving in general can be ultimtely dangerous. :wink:

Dan Gibson:
If you initially meant a quality set of undergarments and didn't really mean the "good fiiting" undergarments, then I would have agreed that without the proper undergarments the shell means nothing. However, that's not exactly how you typed it. You stated a "good fitting pair of undergarments". To me, this meant fit was what you were implying.

Yes, the quality of the undergarments is the first place to start, then you must get the undergarments sized correctly and finally the shell sized correctly. The whole package is only as good as the weakest link.
The point to take home is that quality undergarments are far more important than first time drysuit buyers realize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom