New fins required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrasherg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I started scuba diving back in 1995, and have been a regular diver ever since. When I started I bought the gear that my local diving shop recommended and I have been happy with most of it for all this time. Last weekend whilst on a Flower Garden weekend trip, I lost one of my fins getting onto the boat, the water was about 130 feet deep and I didn see the fin slip of my arm (I guess the strap came off or broke). So long story short I need new fins, I haven’t looked at fins ever so is there a preferred brand/model or do they all work about the same. I am 6’2” tall weigh 175 Lbs, usually dive with a 3mm full wet suit and mostly dive salt water if any of that has a bearing on the fin. My feet are US size 11 and I usually wear boots when I dive. Thanks for any suggestions or advice. Quite excited to try something new after having used the old fins for so long, so just wanted to ask here before I go and buy the first set of fins that I find!!
Regards Gary

I'd recommend looking at either the Dive Rite XT fins or the RK3 (the non-HD version) fins from Apeks. I have both and use both for wetsuit diving. The XTs are stiffer so will have more power. The RK3s are not as stiff so they won't be as powerful but they have great control. Regardless of what you get, I would recommend getting a fin with a spring strap vs. a cheaper rubber strap.

Have you been to the "Fins/mask/snorkel" subforum here on the board?...HERE.

Everyone has their favorite and your likely to get as many different recommendations as you do replies.

I would look at what you want to use them for. if you are traveling with them, get something short and luggage friendly. Bad knees? splits might be a good choice. Some o these fin designs have been around for decades. The RK3 look almost exactly like Rocket fins from the 1980s, and the Mares Quattros have similarly long history. I will agree the heel straps have improved, I have steel springs on my rocket style drysuit fins.

Scubapro Go-Sport, light weight, comfortable foot pocket, great blade, fit in luggage, do everything a Jet can do and usually better. Best Fin Ever :). At least until they release the Gorilla version in North America, if ever.

If for some reason you do not want the Best Fin Ever ref. above, then there is always the Mares Quattros. They are kind of an industry standard for open water divers. I will never go back to them after now converting to the Best Fin Ever ref. above but I used them for decades and they are very good general use fins.

One other suggestion, if you want a top quality, expedition grade flipper that just oozes flipper goodness and is almost as good as the Best Fin Ever, ref top paragraph, get a set of (Deep Six) Eddy Flippers. Still light, still compact, still comfortable and a slightly stiffer blade.

So in summary, if you are a Sport diver get the Best Fin Ever, if you are boring and non-adventurous get the Quattros, if you are all techie and worry that your long hose is not exactly 72.000 inches long and may not be GUE compliant, get the Eddy Flippers.

Edit to add, what was the Worst Fin Ever, easy, the USD/AL Rocket Fin, the original. Heavy, stiff chunks of rubber, best use, aircraft chocks or door stoppers.

Mares Quattros are fantastic and great for open water diving. I have a set I've been using since 2000 and have only changed the strap.

SP Go Sports are great as well.

Both fins can accomplish most every fining technique well enough for non cave or confined areas

I have a pair of Dive Rite XT fins I use if I have to walk to a dive site (springs), but honestly if you're boat diving or even light shore diving I'd consider a full foot pocket. They are far more streamlined, efficient and lighter. Neoprene socks work great to prevent blisters and you can buy a six pack for $25 off Amazon.

If you're open to change, I really like the Cressi lineup of fins. I wear long freediving fins when hunting, but for just scuba diving or travel I use the Cressi Pro Star fins which are basically a short version of a long fin. Cressi molds the foot pocket into and under the fin significantly reducing drag.

For $60 for the pair, hard to beat.

I will add that Mako Spearguns is the only manufacturer I know of that sells single fins. Which makes sense since all fins are the same regardless of left or right. All fin manufacturers should do the same.

Back
Top Bottom