New fins required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone, will print off all the suggestions and then see if my local dive shops have any of the recommended fins and try them.. what is the advantage of a split fin. I have only ever used a single piece fin and assumed a split fin would just be more flexible and not allow me to paddle as hard, can’t see what advantage the split would give?

Thanks everyone, will print off all the suggestions and then see if my local dive shops have any of the recommended fins and try them.. what is the advantage of a split fin. I have only ever used a single piece fin and assumed a split fin would just be more flexible and not allow me to paddle as hard, can’t see what advantage the split would give?

Apparently you’re not familiar with the search button. Give it a click. There “may” be some information about those here.

Nooo! please let’s not talk about split fins!!
We don’t need another thread 56 pages long about the evils of split fins!
BTW, there’s nothing wring with split fins, “IF” they work for you. Some people love them and some people hate them. I tried a few different brands of them a few different times and they worked, but I have other fins that I like better.
I just tried the fins that @Nemrod mentioned, the Scubapro Go Sport fin and they are the BFE (best fin ever). It really is true.
I started my career with Mares Quattros, then went to Scubapro Jet fins, I also have Turtles, I have long blade freediving fins, I’ve tried Seawing Novas. I have not tried every fin out there, but so far my favorite is SP Go Sport AKA The Best Fin Ever.

Nooo! please let’s not talk about split fins!!
We don’t need another thread 56 pages long about the evils of split fins!
BTW, there’s nothing wring with split fins, “IF” they work for you. Some people love them and some people hate them. I tried a few different brands of them a few different times and they worked, but I have other fins that I like better.
I just tried the fins that @Nemrod mentioned, the Scubapro Go Sport fin and they are the BFE (best fin ever). It really is true.
I started my career with Mares Quattros, then went to Scubapro Jet fins, I also have Turtles, I have long blade freediving fins, I’ve tried Seawing Novas. I have not tried every fin out there, but so far my favorite is SP Go Sport AKA The Best Fin Ever.

Yes, I really mean it, the Go-Sport is the freaking Best Fin Ever. At least until we get the Gorilla version which I will grab a set if so. My one and only complaint, and it pertains to the Quattros and several fins, the root section is a little soft and if I really lay into a quick acceleration I can get a little buckling. But, this is a really minor complaint and not excluse to the Best Fin Ever, the Scubapro Go-Sport.

For decades the most copied fin in the world is the Scubapro Jet Fin which of course they bought the design. The Go-Sport is another such in that they bought the design or rights to it and the Go-Sport is made in South Africa, at least for now, maybe that was part of the deal? Beats me, all I know is that the Go-Sport performs out of proportion to it's outwardly simple appearence. Part of it is the foot pocket design and the snappy pre-bent blade.

Go-Sport is made in South Africa, at least for now, maybe that was part of the deal? Beats me…
The designer lives and works for SP in South Africa. Rhys Couzyn designed the Seawing Novas and the Hydros Pro and I assume the Go Sports too. SP has a manufacturing plant there. No mystery.

If you go to DEMA, he’s usually there if SP is. Great guy to chat with.

what is the advantage of a split fin. I have only ever used a single piece fin and assumed a split fin would just be more flexible and not allow me to paddle as hard, can’t see what advantage the split would give?
:popcorn:

What was the Worst Fin Ever? Easy, the USD/AL Rocket Fin, the original. Heavy, stiff chunks of rubber, best use, aircraft chocks or door stoppers.
Nem, you slay me with that anti-Rocket Fin comment. I have been using USD Super Rocket Fins since 1979, and when I wore them as a harbor diver I literally had calves of steel. I was diving so often, and for multiple hours each day, that when I would have more than one day off I would get the worst foot/calf cramps, to the point of waking up screaming in pain... Hmmm, doesn't sound like a very favorable endorsement, but I could and can still fly with those fins. Love 'em and have so for over 45 years. Just upgrade to spring straps and you too could be Rocket Man. My vote for Worst Fin Ever would have to go to the newer Voit Duck Feet with the hard, not supple, rubber blades.

what is the advantage of a split fin.
Shows everyone on the boat you have a great sense of humor?

They're laughing WITH you .......

These fins (the link doesnt work, just search this on amazon: Scuba Diving Free Dive Spearfishing Black Rubber Fins w/SS Spring Heel Straps) are a cheaper knock off of UTDs fins (Precision Fins | UTD Scuba Equipment)

I got them recently and will try next weekend, so can't say 100% that they are suitable for salt water diving, but they should be

They are much cheaper than the regular branded fins, and since you are getting them from amazon, returning them will be super simple in case you dont like them

Back
Top Bottom