New fins required

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also personally recommend the RK3, particularly if you wear boots. They are rugged, give phenomenal propulsion, I love the spring straps, have holes in both the tips and heels for easy rigging for shore diving/transport with a carabiner, and they feel very precise when finning in controlled environments (I don't know if 'precision' makes sense to anyone else...).

Only downsides: 1) expensive (IMO, you get what you pay for), 2) sizing (only 3 sizes), 3) they aren't the best snorkel fins (if you do not wear boots), and 4) if you are a fan of 'flexible' fins, these are not the fins for you!

Nem, you slay me with that anti-Rocket Fin comment. I have been using USD Super Rocket Fins since 1979, and when I wore them as a harbor diver I literally had calves of steel. I was diving so often, and for multiple hours each day, that when I would have more than one day off I would get the worst foot/calf cramps, to the point of waking up screaming in pain... Hmmm, doesn't sound like a very favorable endorsement, but I could and can still fly with those fins. Love 'em and have so for over 45 years. Just upgrade to spring straps and you too could be Rocket Man. My vote for Worst Fin Ever would have to go to the newer Voit Duck Feet with the hard, not supple, rubber blades.
Good story! I have some of the blocks of rubber to this day in my collection :poke:Fins have come a ways since then. The open toe, monoprene material and full foot support to the heel with a snappy pre-bent blade are what makes the Go Sport, Go Great!

I am having a new respect for the modern version, the RK3, a couple of the guides here (Red Sea) have them and they go stroke to stroke with me and the Go Sports, the RK3s seem to have better snap and a little less chunky weight.

I also lost a fin just over a week ago , a SP Go sport.
What did I replace it with? 2 new sets of go sport, yellow , blue and now have one black.
I am taking 3 fins on every resort trip from now on, should be fun to mix and match colours.
The fins I borrowed were an older set of Mares floppy things, awful, as much power as a wet sock and pink to boot. :cool:
I do own RK3s and Mares excite Pro, all good fins, but my 'go to' are the Go Sport more often, if I know I may need more power , and I am not traveling, the Mares Excite Pro are hard to beat, the RK3 are almost retired, not wet for over a year, going on ebay.

Thanks everyone, I purchased a set of scubapro Go fins in size XL (yellow) so will try a few dives in the next few weeks with them.

Gary

In case you did not realise it - The Go is a different fin from the Go Sport…

In case you did not realise it - The Go is a different fin from the Go Sport…
Many thanks, the shop had both the go and go sport, but stated the go sport was really intended to be used without boots, I tried wearing both (just in the shop, not in water) with my booties (that I always wear) and the go seemed more suited to my needs than the sport, so I went with the regular go..

I'd probably buy something that are very similar to the old fins. If it ain't broke don't fix it. :wink:

Many thanks, the shop had both the go and go sport, but stated the go sport was really intended to be used without boots, I tried wearing both (just in the shop, not in water) with my booties (that I always wear) and the go seemed more suited to my needs than the sport, so I went with the regular go..
Hmmmmm. Your local shop seems to have got their facts ass backwards and given you bad info.

o_O <<<< My shocked face.

I have both.

The Go is designed as a barefoot flipper. The Go Sport is a boot flipper.

"GO Traveling, GO Diving, GO Snorkeling – with the GO fin. This travel fin combines the fitment benefits of an open heel fin, with the comfort and barefoot freedom of a full foot fin." Scubapro

Some folks are out to impress others and just like the stylish look of boots. And all the admiring stares of their boat mates. So they whined. And Scuba pro trotted out the Go Sport for them.

"SCUBAPRO’s GO Sport fin features a “boot-fit” design, enabling divers who wear boots when giant-striding into cold water or negotiating rocky shore entries to benefit from the proven kicking performance of the original Tester’s Choice-awarded “bare-fit” GO fin." Scubapro

Actually, I have wide feet and the Go flippers want to rub blisters on the outside joint of my big toe on my wider left foot if used on longer dive excursions. For a weekend they're fine. That's with the XL version. On the Go Sport, I can wear normal 3 mm boots or even my Bonaire Tusa Imprex hard soles and they work fine in the L size. The Tusas make the flippers harder to doff while treading water when climbing the boat ladder though.

I am wondering about the GO-rilla Sport flippers. Downside? Black only. And about $45 more. But I wanna try them. Anybody know if they're still slightly positively bouyant like the Go and Go Sports or if with a stiffer compound they go negative?

Hmmmmm. Your local shop seems to have got their facts ass backwards and given you bad info.

o_O <<<< My shocked face.

I have both.

The Go is designed as a barefoot flipper. The Go Sport is a boot flipper.

"GO Traveling, GO Diving, GO Snorkeling – with the GO fin. This travel fin combines the fitment benefits of an open heel fin, with the comfort and barefoot freedom of a full foot fin." Scubapro

Some folks are out to impress others and just like the stylish look of boots. And all the admiring stares of their boat mates. So they whined. And Scuba pro trotted out the Go Sport for them.

"SCUBAPRO’s GO Sport fin features a “boot-fit” design, enabling divers who wear boots when giant-striding into cold water or negotiating rocky shore entries to benefit from the proven kicking performance of the original Tester’s Choice-awarded “bare-fit” GO fin." Scubapro

Actually, I have wide feet and the Go flippers want to rub blisters on the outside joint of my big toe on my wider left foot if used on longer dive excursions. For a weekend they're fine. That's with the XL version. On the Go Sport, I can wear normal 3 mm boots or even my Bonaire Tusa Imprex hard soles and they work fine in the L size. The Tusas make the flippers harder to doff while treading water when climbing the boat ladder though.

I am wondering about the GO-rilla Sport flippers. Downside? Black only. And about $45 more. But I wanna try them. Anybody know if they're still slightly positively bouyant like the Go and Go Sports or if with a stiffer compound they go negative?
I am sorry, you are correct, i looked at the receipt and I bought the Go Sport, I mixed the two up, my dive shop was correct, sorry for the confusion..

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom