New for 2012, the Mini-Explorer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh click on link :dork2:

a. - a bunch of other products mentioned with little about this product
b. - a whole bunch of technical discussion (that seems to be your world - not mine) that mean nothing to the lay person looking for something to use other than a high dollar can that is overkill 80% of the time.....

Call me "dork", and I call you a pompous :mooner:!

:coffee:

I will have some video to upload soon that shows the beam. It is not going to go head to head with a 21w HID or 12w LED EOS just yet (I imagine that will come with time), but my buddy and I have taken turns using it as a primary. We dive out here in Seattle where our water is far from tropical and it has been adequate for signaling whilst scootering and shooting video, even at night. (I can signal "over" dual 24w HID's) I am getting quite fond of it :)

f
I will have some video to upload soon that shows the beam. It is not going to go head to head with a 21w HID or 12w LED EOS just yet (I imagine that will come with time), but my buddy and I have taken turns using it as a primary. We dive out here in Seattle where our water is far from tropical and it has been adequate for signaling whilst scootering and shooting video, even at night. (I can signal "over" dual 24w HID's) I am getting quite fond of it :)

Hi Laura, thanks for the reply.

At the risk of being repetitive, someone at Halcyon must know the actual beam angle i.e how many degrees, 6, 8, 12 etc and again, what is the lumen value. I note you do use lumen value as a unit of measurement on other Halcyon models so assume you can also provide one for this light. Like I've said it looks like a very nice light, but judging books by covers and all that. Cheers.

so, anyone dive it yet? What is the beam style - flood or spot?
Spot. Looks to be a tough and well made light. I would recommend a goodman handle as well as the standard handle.

Dove with the light this weekend in the gulf, Flower Gardens Marine Sanctuary Texas to be exact. I really enjoyed the light. I don't come from a technical background (although I plan on moving that direction). The light was very powerful and had a tight beam (sorry I am not full of technical data). Really enjoyed being able to use the light and still hold on the line with my hand. Coming from using the UK led pistol grips, this light is head and shoulders above in performance. I have no regrets on buying.
Light looks to be tough as nails (time will tell). Hope this helps.

Dove with the light this weekend in the gulf, Flower Gardens Marine Sanctuary Texas to be exact. I really enjoyed the light. I don't come from a technical background (although I plan on moving that direction). The light was very powerful and had a tight beam (sorry I am not full of technical data). Really enjoyed being able to use the light and still hold on the line with my hand. Coming from using the UK led pistol grips, this light is head and shoulders above in performance. I have no regrets on buying.
Light looks to be tough as nails (time will tell). Hope this helps.

Thanks for the mini review, new toys are so much fun. Can you confirm how many O rings are on the battery canister, looks like one on the video. What was the visibility like where you dove it? I do like the look of the light it looks very solid but would like some more details before possibly dropping a not insignificant amount of money on one. I own some pretty decent lights already, Mb-Sub, so if specs are similar then not much point. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the mini review, new toys are so much fun. Can you confirm how many O rings are on the battery canister, looks like one on the video. What was the visibility like where you dove it? I do like the look of the light it looks very solid but would like some more details before possibly dropping a not insignificant amount of money on one. I own some pretty decent lights already, Mb-Sub, so if specs are similar then not much point. Thanks in advance.

One O ring on the battery canister. Visibility was 100 or so. I don't know what type of other lights you own, but I don't think you would be disappointed with this one.

One O ring on the battery canister. Visibility was 100 or so. I don't know what type of other lights you own, but I don't think you would be disappointed with this one.

Thank you for your reply. Must say I'm a little surprised they chose to use only one O ring given it's twist activated. They must be very confident in their design. Having said that a German manufacturer FWT Schulz only uses one O ring on their lights which are also twist activated seemingly without issue.

One of the lights I own that I was comparing to is an Mb-sub X1-VB similar form factor i.e small, uses AA and has a variable beam 3-25 degrees, magnetic collar on/off. As I like the look of the Halcyon light am really just looking for a reason to buy one or not, I'm the Imelda Marcos of lights lol...thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom