New guy needs help with computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your going into Tech Diving get a depth gauge/ bottem timer with tables. I think I got my Scubapro bottem timer for about 160.00. Thats a lot cheeper than a computer. Save your money for more training. Thats my two cents.

Tekkie

I was totally sold on the Aeris computers when I started my computer shopping. The 300G was among thos I looked at. As I researched my options I decided I wanted a wrist mount. From there I looked at the Atomis 2, then the Suunto computers. I like the simplicity of the Aeris computers. However, I ended up buying a Uwatec Smart Pro wrist mount because it seemed to be most advanced, reasonably easy to use, and offerd different degrees of conservativeness (if that is a word). The smart pro was consideably more than the Atmos 2 i was looking at.

I would have to agree with UP on this one and say go with the bottom timer/depth gauge. If you're looking at getting technical diving, that is what you're going to end up buying anyway. Why not save some cash and some brain cells now and use that money for other, more constructive gear.

The issue of getting a computer or not aside, if you aren't sure about wrist or console mount, look at the Suunto Vyper as a console but price the new style. The computer module for the Vyper, whether wrist or console, is the same. With the new style everything is modular. If you want to change to wrist mount, the wrist mount kit (a housing, two bands and some pins) runs about $20. You would install an end cap to the console or you could attach a compass. I own a Suunto now and from what I can see these are quality items. I don't think the failure rate is very high and therefore the warranty might not be a big deal. Most online dealers offer the same coverage as the manufacturers do anyway. If you move to tech diving you can always use a Vyper as a timer only. I think the current LP price for Vypers are about $280 wrist and $360 or so console. The Suunto SPG's also appear to be a quality piece.

When I purchased my computer (Oceanic Data plus 2). I discovered that the 'guts' (up and s/w) was the same as the Aeris 300g, an Aeris wrist mount (Savant?) and at least one other. (I can actually use my buddies Aeris manual to use my Oceanic - And yes prior to doing this, I did compare the manuals and verify the information was the same).

As part of your 're research, I would suggest visiting various manufacturer's web sights and dowloading their manuals.

The back will usually have the NDL limits and a description of the tissue models the computer uses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom