New LARGE Dive Boat in Kingston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The POW Old Guard if you don't do it the way they want it done, then your done in the community. Last time I was on Biggest Jim's boat he jumped in the water in his bathing attire and went to the wreck with a pony bottle and offered air to the instructor who was wearing doubles. We never came back to his boat again.

The POW Old Guard if you don't do it the way they want it done, then your done in the community. Last time I was on Biggest Jim's boat he jumped in the water in his bathing attire and went to the wreck with a pony bottle and offered air to the instructor who was wearing doubles. We never came back to his boat again.

LOL you remember..............Funny how the DIR guys can't take a joke. I'm still alive after that too. I started with a horse collar and home made gear........

When your good you can do that.....................

Yes there is good sense in DIR and all the new safe dive gear. But we learned the hard way with gear most would be scared to death to try now. I had a 21 year old kid tell me that I should be dead with what I tried...........It's all we had, I was doing it before he was born. Thank God that I'm not dead I had some near calls and I learn from them.

NO Kevin I have no money interest in the new dive boat but just showing that NTD is not the only choice in Kingston.

Funny how anything besides NTD shows up on Kingston I get hate emails and almost every reply in the thread is pro NTD people bashing everyone else.

Last edited:
You're pushing this pretty hard Jim, whats your financial interest in this boat, or are you just using it this as an opprotunity to try to move customers away from NTD after the latest POW blow up down there?

Just asking, dont get too tied up over it.

Did I Bash NTD????????? if you check the 3 post I said...."NTD is OK too"
Whats wrong with helping a guy thats new and has a great dive boat???????
You have no problem helping NTD.
You're pushing this pretty hard Kevin, whats your financial interest in NTD???

I was talking to some poeple that dove on the big boat and they enjoyed. I know our dive club has a couple dives planned on it this season. I am looking forward to diving on it. My view is the more boats the merrier.

And yes it's slower than the fast small boats but he does 4 dives or more, he just stays out and takes it easy once out on the lake. Most wrecks are within 5 miles of each other just enough time for a surface interval.

The Base club in Petawawa used to dive with Spencer on his big boat (the name escapes me now) a few years ago. It left from Collins Bay (much closer to the wrecks than Portsmouth), and we were still only able to get in 3 dives max per day (and one was always the Munson). That was with only about 10 divers (maybe less), and no stopping for a BBQ lunch. I just don't see getting at least 4 dives in unless hes staying on something closer like the KPH, Wolfe or Munson. 4 dives probably doesn't mean 4 wrecks. As well, I wonder what the vis will be like when you're the 7th or 8th buddy team on the wreck. Or the chaos on deck when people are trying to get out of the water while others are sorting out their gear. The price may be cheap, but I think you'll get out of the experience what you paid. Just my opinion.

Just One Man's Opinion.... Probably Wrong

For those that haven't visited the board in a while, please do a search on Divedudes posts. Lots of interesting reading.

In one of your posts your stated that this is supposed to be fun. In my experience fun is something that people enjoy but, it looks like fun is something that if your not having then no one can have it. Everything your have accused people of doing you have done yourself by your own self admittion and then make the statement " But I have learned from it". So when others decide not to make the mistake you make fun of them.

Seeing you brought up the POW thing something that finally died a horrible death over on Ontario Diving. I have talked to lots of people involved and it seems your one of the cancerous old guard that do not want to go forward and seemed to complain with anything and I mean anything that was done.

These people were volunteers and did this freely and look at how you and your friends thanked them. Sure makes me glad that I am not one of them, and with gas prices so high I can only support limited charities and POW is not going to be one of them for certain.

The whole time I spent on your boat you showed a joyous attitude and made no attempt to show your distain to others in the community one of the other reasons why we didn't return your boat. We liked the boat and loved the diving Kingston offers but the attitude and poking fun at the instructor were just a little too much from someone paying for this.

Just One Man's Opinion.... Probably Wrong

You're pushing this pretty hard Jim, whats your financial interest in this boat, or are you just using it this as an opprotunity to try to move customers away from NTD after the latest POW blow up down there?

Just asking, dont get too tied up over it.

Did I Bash NTD????????? if you check the 3 post I said...."NTD is OK too"
Whats wrong with helping a guy thats new and has a great dive boat???????
You have no problem helping NTD.
You're pushing this pretty hard Kevin, whats your financial interest in NTD???

I didnt say you are bashing NTD, I said you are purposely moving customers away from there. Then I questioned your motives. Read the not so fine print, you quoted it after all.

I have little or no financial interests in NTD. Like several other dive shops in Eastern Ontario, they sometimes rely on my skills in regulator and drysuit repair to keep thier customers diving which makes them my customer and I support them accordingly. I've likely put Toms kid through college by now as well with gear purchases and tech training. At the very least, paid for dental work. But theres no real secret there.

Lets see your cards in this matter. A recent PM to me pointed out that you are driving the Protius boat for them these days, yes?

As for how you've been diving forever and thats how you did it in the old days, we used to build houses with lead pipes in them, now we have better and safer ways to do it.

But hey, I like vintage dive gear and antiques too, good on you for setting a safer example to the newer folks while keeping old traditions alive.

Last edited:
How does POW get involved with this? Any way I think the big boat does not go out because it is a part time job for the owner. (the are either in the military or retired from it) I would not go out if it was not worth my while too. I think people should stop complaing and be happy just to go out and let that rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom