New main harness strap for backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are you going to your LDS to set it up? You can do it yourself at home with a piece of chalk, it's super easy, especially if you have a second set of hands to hold the plate for you.

Lengthen the shoulder straps so the top of the waist strap is just under your belly button, with a buddy holding it there make sure you can get a fist between you and the strap.
Take your arms and stick them straight out then bent your hands into your chest, where your thumb hits is where the shoulder D-rings live usually about 1" above your nipple. Mark that with chalk and move the slides there. That's basically it

DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate
Good link there, the straps are a little tight per GUE guidelines, and I still disagree with fitting it from the top, I much prefer to fit it from the waist strap, but that's probably because I'm quite long in the back.

Thanks, again, tbone. I actually did fit it to myself last night, using the DIR page you linked (I googled it), along with some info from the DSS website, and the DGX website.

The reason I want to go to the LDS is that, according to Tobin at DSS, the BP is a Medium and I should wear a Large. So, the placement of the BP is a compromise. When I fit it so that the waist belt seemed right, the top of the BP is too low (according to the DIR page). When I fit it from the top (per DIR instructions), the waist belt either goes around the middle of my stomach, or the crotch strap pulls it down in the front to make it into kind of a V shape.

So, I would like to show it to one of the experienced BPers at the shop to figure out which way to rig it. As my initial setup before actually getting it wet and fine tuning from there, of course.

rig it low and adjust the crotch strap, adjusting them isn't all that difficult, just irritating more than anything, but it also isn't as exacting as you might thing. All it is there for is to keep the rig from riding high so if it is a bit loose that is better than too tight.

Oh, and regarding some of the earlier replies, I stopped by my LDS yesterday and got 12' of black webbing. The resin impregnated stuff. The strap that was already on the BP was way too short for me.

With the various instructions on the Web for the harness and the buckle, it was really no problem to re-rig it myself. I even adjusted the crotch strap length. :) And I already had an old mountain bike inner tube in the garage that I use for scrap, so I cut 5 additional new keepers for myself and added them in (2 extra each on the shoulder straps, one above and one below the D rings, and one added to the right side waist belt) as I rigged the new strap.

Oh, and regarding some of the earlier replies, I stopped by my LDS yesterday and got 12' of black webbing. The resin impregnated stuff. The strap that was already on the BP was way too short for me.

With the various instructions on the Web for the harness and the buckle, it was really no problem to re-rig it myself. I even adjusted the crotch strap length. :) And I already had an old mountain bike inner tube in the garage that I use for scrap, so I cut 5 additional new keepers for myself and added them in (2 extra each on the shoulder straps, one above and one below the D rings, and one added to the right side waist belt) as I rigged the new strap.

Nice to see you are being assimilated.......[emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And yet some companies will tell you that you are going to die! And that any repairs/modifications should be done by their trained technician. See how much you just learned about a great deal of that being total BS? Now you've taken one of many steps to diving your gear, your way, set up for you. Congrats!
Plus you now know that a BPW is NOT tech gear, is NOT complicated, and is, in fact, a great BC for a new diver. Just like I say in the article I sent you.:D:wink:

I've enjoyed watching Stuart's conversion to the dark side... :wink:

LOL! You guys are awesome.

And I am all set now to hit the pool in the morning and swim around for a bit with all my new gear. Can't wait!

---------- Post added December 13th, 2014 at 05:47 PM ----------

I think my rig is ready for the pool in the morning, except for one thing.

I saw a pic of a Hog rig that had a bungee loop in the upper left D ring assembly for retaining the LPI. I don't have that and I think I should. I have some bungee cord. Can anyone point me to directions on how I should tie that loop?

---------- Post added December 13th, 2014 at 06:05 PM ----------

In the meantime, I put one on and tied it like the video I saw for tying a bungee regulator necklace. Is this an okay way to do it?

20141213_175701.jpg

20141213_175756.jpg

---------- Post added December 14th, 2014 at 12:39 PM ----------

I took it to the pool this morning. 3/2 full suit, no weights, and I was actually still a bit over weighted. With an empty wing and my fullest inhale the top of my head would just barely come to the surface. Full exhale and I sank like a rock. Sweet!

I made no adjustments to the harness and it was good except for one thing. If I was perfectly horizontal and tried to look straight ahead or slightly up my head would touch the 1st stage. I lowered the tank in the straps, ultimately to about as far as I think it could go. It was comfortable and I had no trouble with buoyancy or trim, but I think I will put a little more slack in the shoulder straps when I get to Riviera Maya this week, to try and lower the whole rig a little bit - just to see if I can get a little more headroom.

All in all, so far, this BPW rig is awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom