New mask fogging badly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with scuba.com. Your eyes are the only set you will ever have so using chemicals in a mask can permanently damage your eyes. I would definately stick with toothpaste.

All good advice here...but there is a statement that is desperately missing.
Do NOT touch any mask like a Seavision or other out of the norm mask with any kind of an abrasive.
Prescription masks especially.
There are masks with a reflective "mirrored" coating that the spearo's like, and these are not to be touched with much of anything.

Much more I could say here, but I am sure you get the picture/idea.

Chug
Knew a guy that destroyed a perfectly new red lens mask with toothpaste.

A butane lighter (very carefully) can be used to burn the film from the typical glass) lens.

+1 to using a lighter. This is for a regular ole mask only. I have done this to my two masks and it worked like a charm and ended all fogging issues.

Clean the entire mask using a gentle cleanser. When done, dry it thoroughly (at least on the "inside"). Take a lighter that has a low flame (maybe 1/2" max - no turbo flames), turn the goggles over with the internal lens facing toward the floor, over your hand with the lighter. Quickly move the flame to the center of the lens, holding it far enough away so the flame doesn't get too close to the silicone sides. Hold it the flame there for a second or so. Any blackening of the glass will wash off, so don't worry. Flip the mask over and hold it "burnt-side" up .

The burn off process is a little slow. If you look closely for a minute, a "clear" area seems to slowly expand out from where the flame touched the lens. You may or may not have to hold the flame over that same spot a second time.

Once both of the lenses clear, let the mask sit for a few minutes to be sure it has cooled thoroughly. Wash it again with cleanser and it's ready to go!

Which are the masks with lenses affected by defog containing alcohol?

"Hack Pteww."

What!

Fogging is caused by either dirt or some other substance on the surface of the inside of the mask. The only way to keep it from happening is to clean the mask thoroughly and/or use a surfactant to keep the water from beading up (this is fog) and allowing it to slide to the bottom of the mask. The water that causes fogging comes from the air you breath out of your nose and we all do that to equalize our masks. Antifog is usually just a surfactant that is may be a soap or detergent, I clean my mask very well with toothpaste, but as one poster said, SeaVision masks are not to have an abrasive cleaner applied to them. Some precription lenses are plastic and also should not have an abrasive cleaner applied to them as well. So, use a good cleanser like Dawn dishwashing liquid (it is an excellent grease cleaner). Clean the inside of your mask very well and before you dive use an anti fog or clean the mask again with dish soap or shampoo. They both work well. Baby shampoo will not burn your eyes if you don't get all of it rinsed out before you put your mask on your face.

The oily resin in Habenero peppers works as a excellent defog. Crush the peppers into a puree and rub it around the inside of the mask. Lightly rinse the puree out of the mask and it will never fog again.

Icy Hot works good for getting condom caths on too.

Back
Top Bottom