New Orleans Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Tide

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everybody! I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the local dive shops in New Orleans. I think there are two left since Katrina.

Specifically, I'm thinking about OW instruction. I know both shops are in Metairie and one is a NAUI shop and the other is a PADI shop. I have read enough around here to know that one agency is not necessarily better than the other. So, it really comes to the competency of the instructors.

I have talked to people from both shops and it is still a toss up. At least to someone of my knowledge which is very little if any. I'm hoping that maybe some people around here might have some info that could maybe help me make an informed decision.

Other than that I have to decide if I really want to go through with it. :)

Thanks for any insight,
Tim

I would go with the NAUI shop

I would go with the Padi, I've never been turned down with a PADI card

I've used Caribbean Dive Shop, which is PADI, and been very satisfied. Dave and Sunday Delger run it, he's a former commercial diver for McDermott among others. Got certified with them 7 years ago, also AOW and Rescue later on.

They're the only shop I've used for instruction, but I found them thorough, knowledgeable, and they don't cut corners on instruction. I've made a few trips with them (typically out to the Flower Gardens) and it seemed in general that their divers, even the new ones, tended not only to stay out of trouble, but to be the ones helping other divers when they needed it.

Their shop survived Katrina intact, but they're moving this weekend to a new location close by in Metairie, on Causeway near Lakeside shopping center.

I don't know Harry's, but haven't heard anything bad about them. The other shop is Adventure Quest, who I think are more commercial and tech oriented. Others can tell you about these shops, I can't.

Blue Tide:
Hey everybody! I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the local dive shops in New Orleans. I think there are two left since Katrina.

Specifically, I'm thinking about OW instruction. I know both shops are in Metairie and one is a NAUI shop and the other is a PADI shop. I have read enough around here to know that one agency is not necessarily better than the other. So, it really comes to the competency of the instructors.

I have talked to people from both shops and it is still a toss up. At least to someone of my knowledge which is very little if any. I'm hoping that maybe some people around here might have some info that could maybe help me make an informed decision.

Other than that I have to decide if I really want to go through with it. :)

Thanks for any insight,
Tim

I've been to them all.

I've been using Carribbean lately for fills. Dave and Sunday are great, once they get to know you. They're really easy to work with.
Pool work is Done at Tulane. Strict Scubapro shop. But they can service any brand. (That being said, I have my zeagle and sherwood regs serviced at Chag's). Very relaxed atmosphere in the shop. I'm going to check them out in a discover scuba class next week (for the nephews).

Harry's has a greater inventory in the store, more likely to walk out with something the same day you need it (Wetsuits, for example). Staff is really strict about air fills/pricing. They do have an on-site pool (I think they're the only ones). Never really interacted with the instructors at Harry's (and all the staff I was familiar with is gone).

I haven't been to Adventure Quest's new store, since they moved. Very elegant shop. Lots of tech gear, but the people I know who've been certified there rank the training as top-notch. The staff is extremely nice and helpful.

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the shops for Basic OW training.

Harry's is BOTH NAUI AND SSI. The NAUI and SSI programs are top notch ( but then again, that could be because of the instructor's I had)
Dave does the teaching at Carribean, at Harry's it is pot luck who your instructor will be. As for PADI - NAUI - SSI....I would bet that the programs have slight differences if any.

Paulwall,

When is Carribean's discover scuba class?

Tom

Be careful if you visit Harry's and tell them you are interested in becoming certified. They will have you seated and have 3 people sticking masks on your face, boots on your feet, holding fins to stick on you and trying to sell you snorkels, weight belts and anything else they can grab. Not one question about the type of diving you intend to do or where, just a hard sell job. For the open water portion of my course (through Harry's) I was on a boat with approximately 50 other students, all getting certified --not what I call ideal. Plus, I have had a bad experience on a trip I booked and prepaid through them. They called me the day before telling me they changed plans as to what boat and shop we were leaving out of with no directions to the right shop/dive boat.
I wont be doing any more business with Harry's, that much I can tell you.

Back
Top Bottom