New scuba tank standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's one of my TC favorites...fire extinguishers. When we ship fire extinguishers we have to ensure that the transport vehicle has the right placards for transporting a "harzardous good". Right...like when the truck is on fire, the extinguishers are going to make the situation worse...hahaha. The pressurization in portable extinguishers is miniscule anyhow, worst case scenario...a fire leads to a dry chemical fire extinguisher exploding extinguishing powder on the fire. :wink: Of course I'm oversimplifying it but sometimes the Canadian government seems to be much more concerned with creating employment instead of employing common sense.

if one of those extinguishers goes off, holy you know what. Think about 3000 psi going off and blowing a hole down a busy street. Better duck fast. :rolleyes:

cobaltbabe once bubbled...
if one of those extinguishers goes off, holy you know what. Think about 3000 psi going off and blowing a hole down a busy street. Better duck fast. :rolleyes:

They aren't filled to anywhere close to 3000 PSI. The one I just checked in my office shows cylinder tested to 525psi with 325psi as an overcharged unit...so around perhaps 250 to 300psi vs a "pony bottle" charged to 3000 in the same size range.

Most "home" portable extinguishers up to a 4A60BC size have plastic zytel valves.

I've seen the damage a fully charged scuba tank can do when it explodes but I don't think a portable fire extinguisher is anywhere in the same ballpark.

Wow! weve gone from properly labeling and transporting scuba tanks to kicking fire extinguishers around, thats what I love about this copy and paste discussion board no consistency.

D M I

Your new sticker link is below

They aren't at the same PSI but I am sure they would rattle your bones never the less.

D M I once bubbled...
Wow! weve gone from properly labeling and transporting scuba tanks to kicking fire extinguishers around, thats what I love about this copy and paste discussion board no consistency.

D M I

Your new sticker link is below

Glad you like it D M I, feel free to use the sarcasm icon next time you post.:D I've conveniently labeled my replies below to ensure the correct conversational flow can continue.

Back on topic...so...reading the label you've posted it's good for compressed air. Has TC figured out if we will require separate labels for Nitrox, Tri-mix and O2 deco bottles?

Off-topic hijack continues...

And hey Marie...we need to find a large open field and a stack of shipping pallets upon which to place a household extinguisher to test our theory of the explosive potential of a fully charged extinguisher when exposed to high heat. Next time you are out to BC, I'm sure we can find a suitable location...:D :boom:

bwerb once bubbled...

And hey Marie...we need to find a large open field and a stack of shipping pallets upon which to place a household extinguisher to test our theory of the explosive potential of a fully charged extinguisher when exposed to high heat. Next time you are out to BC, I'm sure we can find a suitable location...:D :boom:

Sounds like a blast Brian. I would like to get out your way in the next year or so. :)

cobaltbabe once bubbled...
They aren't at the same PSI but I am sure they would rattle your bones never the less.

...........the blast would be too bad. I have had one (plastic valve) fall over and break. Lots of fire retardant shooting around, but no real "blast" or anything too exciting.

Tim

Tom R once bubbled...

So divers will be required to fill at the hazmat approved fill stations and have no more than 40 psi in the tanks while tranporting them. This would translate into if you have your own fill station in your garage, it would be illegal to fill them and bring them to the store for top offs.

Tom

I guess because I'm in the business of hauling dangerous goods I'll kick my 2 cents in:
Page 61, first paragraft of the TDG regulations reads.

Dangerous goods are exempt from regulations if they are:
1, Being transported for personal use.
This exemption allows up to 30kgs per package and up to 150kg's per vehicle.

So figure out how much compressed air weighs and figure out how many tanks you can put in your car or truck.

The 150kg's you are allowed is the product inside the tank ONLY not how much the tank weighs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom