New scuba tank standards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D M I once bubbled...
Interested parties

You'll get the information as it is implemented by the ministry, just as dive boat operators of certain size and tonage were required to have there boats inspected in the last two years because 50% of the boats that were out doing charters were unseaworthy and dangerous. Ministry employees are slow workers, but be assured you'll be hearing more and will be required to act on this topic in the coming year.

D M I
Were did you get a figure like that????? 50%!!!!
I'm starting to think you are a trouble maker.

Can you give me one instance, just one were a dive boat has been shut down by Transport Canada because they were unseaworthy and dangerous. include all of Canada not just Ontario. Come on Mister 50% give me just one.

People on this board who don't know anything about boats might think twice about going on a charter because of guys like you who spout off with figures with no facts to back them up

Maybe we should send Transport Canada down to see you and make sure "You" are up to standard.
Do you have a "Master minor waters" you do need one even in your small boat if you take money for service, I'll bet you don't.
If you say you do, back it up with your licence #
I'll give mine CDN-105873M

D M I once bubbled...
[B... were required to have there boats inspected in the last two years because 50% of the boats that were out doing charters were unseaworthy and dangerous.... [/B]

Please if you're going to throw out statistics, provide the proof behind them!

To state something like this, will have some thinking that a significant number of the charters out there are unsafe.

I don't believe this for a moment. Mind you the only proof I can offer to this, is observing for myself certificates allowing the vessels to be on the water on the charters that I've been out with since I've been diving. I would hazzard a guess, that most my my dive buddies do the same.

Hello

Wow! Have I hit the nail or the thumb. Diver lady has asked me to not post or respond to any more sensitve issues on this board . so I will respect her wishes and only add or respond to positive threads that enhance the excitement and beaty of scuba diving. To Big Jim, I'm impressed with your qualifications your in a class of your own buddy, Unfortinetly I have to leave this issue closed.

D M I:eek:ut:

Why anyone worries about stuff like this is beyond me. Worry about it when you hear from reliable sources. And to post artificially inflated stats in an industry you apparently are part of is rather poor business practice i'd think. IF you run a charter service i'd think you'd want to make as many friends here as possible to increase your business. Doesn't seem to be the case though.

steve

I sat down last night and did some limited research into this, here's the results.

From “Transporting Dangerous Goods By Truck” published by the Canadian Trucking Alliance, 3rd printing revised as of September 2002.

Definitions
MoC - Means of Containment – a container or packaging, or any part of a means of transport that is or may be used to contain goods.
Small MoC – has a water capacity less than or equal to 450 litres.
Placard – a safety mark that is visible and legible, made of a durable and weather-resistant material, and is of a specified colour. Its shape is a square on point with each side measuring at lest 250 mm (10 in) in length with a line running 12.5 mm inside the edge.
Label – a safety mark that is visible and legible, made of a durable and weather-resistant material, and is of a specified colour. Its shape is a square on point with each side measuring at lest 100 mm (4 in) in length with a line running 5 mm inside the edge.
Carrier – a person (an individual, corporation, or any other person carrying on a business) who, whether or not for hire or reward, has possession of goods while they are in transport.
ERAP – Emergency Response Assistance Plan, explains actions to take or avoid in event of spill.

Chapter 14 – Special Requirements
14.12 The documentation, placarding and training requirements do not apply to UN1001, UN1002, UN1006, UN1060, UN1072, and UN1978 if the dangerous goods:
· Are in no more than 5 small MoC;
· Gross mass is less than 500 kg; and
· The labels can be seen from outside the vehicle

From Schedule 1
UN Number UN1002
Description AIR, COMPRESSED, with not more than 23.5 per cent oxygen, by volume
Class 2.2 Primary class 2 indicates gases
Special Provision 42 (see below)
Limited Quantity Index 0.125 litres (see below)
ERAP Index None
Marine Pollutant No

Special Provision #42
Part 3, Documentation, the placarding requirements in Part 4,Dangerous Goods Safety Marks, and part 6, Training, do not apply to transporting these dangerous goods on a road vehicle solely on land if
(a) the dangerous goods are contained in no more than 5 small means of containment;
(b) the dangerous goods have a gross mass less than or equal to 500 kg; and
(c) the labels displayed on the means of containment can be seen from outside the road vehicle.
UN1001, UN1002, UN1006, UN1060, UN1072, UN1978

Limited Quantities Exemption
Limited Quantities are dangerous goods that are shipped in small packages, and are therefore considered less dangerous. A quantity of dangerous goods is considered to be a limited quantity if:
· the innermost containers do not exceed the quantity specified in column 6 of schedule 1
· the weight of each small MoC and its contents do not exceed 30 kg.
Limited Quantities are exempt from most of the requirements except for labeling.

Label for non-flammable, non-toxic gas is green background, class 2, with bottle on top half of label.

So, in closing and this is only my opinion!!!!!
You are okay transporting 5 or less of your own tanks, but maybe for CYA aspect you should get a class 2 label on your tanks and transport them in open view (not car trunk). I'm attaching the label as example only, not official one.

And you can always go to www.tc.gc.ca and look for yourself.

Have fun diving, let's not panic yet on 'Scuba Tanks as Dangerous Goods' please.

Dave

D M I once bubbled...
Hello

Wow! Have I hit the nail or the thumb. Diver lady has asked me to not post or respond to any more sensitve issues on this board . so I will respect her wishes and only add or respond to positive threads that enhance the excitement and beaty of scuba diving.

Just to clarify a bit. I suggested Frank/Rick limit his business-connected profile, that being DMI, to more positive commentary on the Board and perhaps create a separate profile (without business connections) to voice/vent his frustrations. I'm not suggesting in any way that people behind the DMI name refrain from participating in any threads that capture their interest.

Everyone on this Board should be considered a potential client by ALL dive business owners here and I think that while diversity of opinion is what makes for interesting and lively exchanges, I would hate to see anyone's business endeavours suffer due to any hot-tempered, spur of the moment remarks.

Diverlady

it's a violation of the Scubaboard Terms of Service, and if discovered, both ID's will get banned.

As they should be.

If he has something to say, say it. If it's not credible, he'll get outed on it. His call.

Well, it was just a suggestion. One profile for the "business" one for the "man" type of thing. There is more than one person behind the DMI business so one (calm) guy attached to the business and the other one to a different profile wouldn't be in violation of the rules. I'm not sure which guy does the majority of the posting.

Take it or leave it. I was just clarifying that I was not trying to curb anyone's participation on the Board. But I wasn't trying to encourage any rule-breaking either.

Diverlady

D M I once bubbled...
Hello

Wow! Have I hit the nail or the thumb. Diver lady has asked me to not post or respond to any more sensitve issues on this board . so I will respect her wishes and only add or respond to positive threads that enhance the excitement and beaty of scuba diving. To Big Jim, I'm impressed with your qualifications your in a class of your own buddy, Unfortinetly I have to leave this issue closed.

It is rather entertaining how you ducked those questions....twice. :)

scubasean once bubbled...

It is rather entertaining how you ducked those questions....twice. :)

I guess that's my fault!! Sorry about providing that convenient "out"!

Diverlady

Back
Top Bottom