New scubapro equalizer BCD dump valve question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danman132x

Registered
Reaction score
Just won me a new scubapro equalizer BCD and did some test fitting and close inspection of it before I take my first time. I've noticed the left dump valve pull, the one that is part of the power inflator seems hard to pull. It does click open when you pull though, just the force needed seems more than I'm used to coming from my old auqalung bcd. My friend has a lady hawk and her hose dump valve pull seems slightly easier.

Would it just be better practice to use the right shoulder dump valve instead? Maybe save the lifespan of the hose also. Just always been used to using the hose pull over the last couple years

Mine has the new style dump that has the Grey colored valve that a partner can dump in emergency

Good questions! Yes, the Scubapro left shoulder dump is typically much harder to activate. The valve is pulled open by a cable inside the hose. The difference between it and the Aqualung model has to do with the lever action of the valve and the size of the valve spring.
Your question may ignite a firestorm of commentary from other ScubaBoard members. There is a lot of discussion on this forum about the practice of using that particular dump. Many divers frown upon it for just the reasons that you suggested: possible tearing or dislodgment of the hose, at which point your BCD becomes close to useless and you head for the bottom.
I tend to agree. If your left shoulder is the highest point in your BCD for the position you're currently in, then just lift your corrugated hose and vent from the deflator valve like you were taught in basic Open Water training. The "convenience" of the cable pull comes at a potential catastrophic cost, rare though those problems might be.

The solution is not to lift the inflator, it is to just learn to use the dedicated pull dump located on the right side. That is what I use 95% of the time with the SP BC's that I have AND it will probably the same way you are going to vent the BC if/when you have to use an Air 2 inflator.

The solution is not to lift the inflator, it is to just learn to use the dedicated pull dump located on the right side. That is what I use 95% of the time with the SP BC's that I have AND it will probably the same way you are going to vent the BC if/when you have to use an Air 2 inflator.
I usually agree with you 90% of the time, but today I'll disagree.
In a crisis, we revert to muscle memory. If you ever have to donate to another diver, you'll use your right hand. If you end up having a shared ascent, you'll be grabbing right hands. If you're rescuing, you'll be using your right hand to inflate/deflate his bcd, so that your left is free to hit your inflator should he drag you down.
If you're using your right dump all the time, you'll revert to that in a crisis, which means you'll let go of your inflator or the victim as you reach to dump. If as noted above, you're using your Air 2 after donating primary, you'll be reaching across your chest and around your Air 2 to dump, while holding on to your buddy.
Yeah, you can do it. And yeah, there are advantages in regular diving to have calibrated your ability to use the huge shoulder dump in a precise fashion. But I'm just concerned about the consequences of the habit that creates.

Use the lever on the top of all Scubapro left dump valves to dump.
Takes lots of practice to calibrate that, for the trickle dumping that we do on ascent. It's a very efficient dump.
Thanks! Reasonable alternative.

I usually agree with you 90% of the time,....

LOL.. so doing the math... "usually" could mean 51%; and when we generate a product (using the 90%) figure the result might be .....You disagree with me more often than not? LOL...

I use the right pull dump a lot.

LOL.. so doing the math... "usually" could mean 51%; and when we generate a product (using the 90%) figure the result might be .....You disagree with me more often than not? LOL...

I use the right pull dump a lot.
Lol! :rofl3: Okay, I only agree with you 46% of the time...

Hey, as long as you're consistent, it all works. :)
Usually...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom