New Tank Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update...I called another LDS; he told me to bring it over for the vis. I called the first guy and told him I was coming over to pick it up; I didn't want the hydro. He gave me the following rational as to why he insisted on the hydro:
He has a friend that didn't adhere to DOT regs and agents from the DOT arrested his buddy, who then spent five years in jail. Have you ever heard of something so preposterous!!!

Enfield Scuba in Enfield, CT
Bull. Receational divers are never subject to DOT regulations. It doesn't matter if you're on the highway, underwater, or walking down a dirt road from New York to Key West; you are never subject to the commerical restrictions of the DOT.

I hope this shop goes out of business next week.

I'm a certified cylinder inspector. 46 CFR states that DOT 3AA and 3AL cylinders (and every other metal scuba cylinder I am aware of) must be re-qualified every 5 years. The guy was full of ****. He is however within his rights to insist on visually inspecting any cylinder prior to filling even if there is a current Evidence of Inspection sticker on a pressurized tank. If he charged you for an inspection in that case I would take my business elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just FYI, it is 49 CFR.

46 CFR deals with the Coast guard and maritime shipping.

I'm a certified cylinder inspector. 46 CFR states that DOT 3AA and 3AL cylinders (and every other metal scuba cylinder I am aware of) must be re-qualified every 5 years. The guy was full of ****. He is however within his rights to insist on visually inspecting any cylinder prior to filling even if there is a current Evidence of Inspection sticker on a pressurized tank. If he charged you for an inspection in that case I would take my business elsewhere.

Yes, you are correct - I meant to say 49 :)

that owner is lying, period...

i am shocked at the prices you guys are paying...

i just bought 2 lp120's and had them viz'd nitrox filled and a boot installed on the bottom..... $45.00...
no necessary nitrox sticker, nothing... just the little yellow lable with the date, %, mod, etc....

---------- Post added August 10th, 2014 at 08:22 PM ----------

i sent them a link to the thread and called them out on the BS

Requiring a steel cylinder to be hydrostatically tested every 3 years is a new one for me but having a shop be annoyed and give me a hard time for buying a tank from someone else isn't new.

The last tank I bought (two steel tanks actually) was being sold for $94/tank less than the dive shop I worked at. The shop had a new store manager but I asked the owner if she could price match. It wasn't a sale item or anything. The other shop was selling the tank for $94 less, always. They sold you the tank, O2 clean, visually inspected and full. The owner told me she could price match. When I arranged to pick up the tank the store manager told me the guy who prepped them was on vacation and I had to wait 2 weeks. Fine. I went to pick them up and there was no visual inspection sticker on them. I was told I'd have to pay extra for a visual inspection. I'd have to pay even more to have them O2 cleaned (they came from the factory O2 clean). To add insult to injury, if they inspected the tank they'd have to drain them. Once drained they'd have to charge me for an air fill. The owner was on vacation.

I told them I'd take them as is. I brought them to the shop who was originally selling them for $94 less. I told him the situation. He asked to see my receipt. Saw they were purchased and picked up that day. He drained them, inspected them, filled them and slapped a sticker on them. I quit working at the other shop and started working for the new shop. The first shop went out of business within a year.

My general attitude towards this is just walk away. If the shop isn't treating you fairly then just walk away. Vote with your wallet. W.C. Fields once said, "There is a sucker born every minute" but the dive community is pretty small. Anyone who is serious about diving will find this or talk to others and find out what this company is like. Maybe the owner was having a bad day and he took out his frustration with online stores on you. I suspect this is basic attitude. It should end up biting him in the *ss in the long run.

Cut your losses and never go back to the shop. Your time is too valuable to waste on this shop.

..... O2 cleaning is must for new tank, which will use for Nitrox.....

This is NOT accurate at all. A tank for recreation nitrox (up to 40%) is only need to be O2 clean if the shop fills you tank uses partial pressure blend. Shops that bank recreation nitrox or use manbrane filter system do NOT require O2 clean tank.

This is NOT accurate at all. A tank for recreation nitrox (up to 40%) is only need to be O2 clean if the shop fills you tank uses partial pressure blend. Shops that bank recreation nitrox or use manbrane filter system do NOT require O2 clean tank.

Actually you are not correct. Cylinders being filled with anything over 23.5% O2 are required to be O2 clean. That said many cylinders come from the factory O2 clean. These are the CGA and others rules and in general the scuba industry standard, though not always followed. A search will yield all the different standards.

Run from that shop and never, never go back. If he's willing to lie about this there's no telling what other bushwah he's going to feed you. Don't deal with liars.

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 09:30 AM ----------

Requiring a steel cylinder to be hydrostatically tested every 3 years is a new one for me

And blatantly false. All hydros are good for 5 years.

Actually you are not correct. Cylinders being filled with anything over 23.5% O2 are required to be O2 clean. That said many cylinders come from the factory O2 clean. These are the CGA and others rules and in general the scuba industry standard, though not always followed. A search will yield all the different standards.

I don't know what industry you are referring to. I have been using 32% on non O2 clean tank for 4 years with many shops. they either bank 32% or use manbrane filter. They even specifically say O2 clean tank is not require if you ask. This also happen on a few dive boats that I have do live aboard on in a different continents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom