New to diving - need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

So I got PADI certified last October and after saving up money, I'm probably going to buy some basic gear and get diving by the end of this month.

Any advice for a totally inexperienced solo (tried convincing some of my friends to try it out but no luck) diver in Attleboro? I realize a lot of divers avoid newbies like the plague so I guess I'm looking for some sort of club or organization maybe? Any advice would help.

Thanks,
Justin

A lot of places have dive clubs you can join to meet new dive buddies, learn from them and have folks to talk diving with. I'd call a few local dive shops and ask if they know of any clubs, or check a social networking site like Facebook or Meetup for clubs in your area.

Another thing that has worked for me, though it can be costly, is to continue your dive education with other classes. These classes can lead you to different types of dive experience or focus on improving specific skills, but either way you will be diving and learning. You can also meet folks to dive with through your classes.

To your comment about some folks not wanting to dive with new divers, I don't have a problem with diving with new or unknown divers as long as we talk about our dive history and I feel comfortable that the dive we plan to do is within both of our ranges of training and experience. You'll be a safer, more fun buddy if you build your skills gradually and observe others with more experience.

Happy diving!

Hi Justin :) Welcome first to this great community ! You'll surely find a lot of valuable information through this forum !

First of all, I would not really think about diving solo when you are freshly certified... You do not want to expose yourself to risks that are still unknown, or barely new to you :) I think you should really seek to find other divers to go with and build your experience.
I'm not an expert about diving solo (only did 3 times) but I will say that it requires more skills than anyone would think. When you're alone, all these minor problems, mistakes that are easily managed with a buddy, can become more stressful, time consuming and dangerous when you are alone :) Air management becomes more critical and proper redundancy...

As for solutions, many LDS offer diving days that you can join. Pro for it is that you can easily meet new people, most of the time you will have more experienced people that will help you and dive with you. Clubs are also a very good idea, it allows you to meet other divers and join their dives too. And of course, you have scubaboard :D

Last but not least... we all were newbie at once :wink: We all had to learn... There is no shame into asking if anyone would join you for a dive, you might be surprised, most of the time the issue is availability, not the fact that you are newbie !!!

Good luck to you and enjoy the dives here before it gets too late (too cold) !

Last edited:
If you are ever in the PA area and want to dive at dutch springs Myself or many others I am sure would have no problems with you diving with them. Beleive it or not most people (from what I seen) don't care if a newer diver goes along on a dive. As long as it's with in the range of where they are going. As others have said you can visit some of the diveshops in your area and ask about day's they are going diving. Or simply Post a thread in here about diving in your area. I am sure you get responses from others that dive ar ound you.

And as far as gear goes, try to try everything out before you make a purchase. Everything has a differnt fit/feel and what others might like is not something you may like.

Greetings Justin and Welcome to scubaboard :D

First to answer your gear issue. Dont be afraid to look in the used area for gear. There are a lot of people out there that have gear they want to get rid of. Its a great way to get what you need at a price you can afford. I have a few items that I purchased used that work amazing :wink:

It seams that everyone here has done a great job on giving you advice on where to hook up with dive partners. I know for me personally I just love to dive, so I will take any opertunity I get to dive, no matter who its with.

Try your local dive shop. I know the ones in my area all have bi-weakley or monthley trips to some great places locally. Also ask the dive shop if they know of any dive clubs in the area, or see if they have a contact sheet for people that are looking for dive buddys. Or get creative. Ask the dive shop if you can make up a personal flyer with your name and phone number and when you are available to dive.

Finally I am going to echo what trappist said. Get into diving a little more before you start solo diving. Solo diving inters into a whole new relm of planing, and equipment. I am not saying dont ever do it, but give yourself a little bit of time diving with a buddy before you jump into solo diving.

Hope this helped :)

I agree with Trappist; if you are totally inexperienced, you should not dive solo. Look for some fun dives or easy dive charters.

Call you local dive shops. Hire a divemaster to look over you and critique you for a few dives. Take a buoyancy course.

Welcome! As far as gear goes I have got some great stuff off of craigslist but you need to be carful. There is some great used stuff out there but there is also A LOT of junk. If your looking for a dive buddy I am in Bridgewater and wouldnt mind going out with you PM me and we can exchange info. Again welcome to diving

Ben

Well, first off congrats on getting certified. There is a dive club in Attleboro called the Old Colony Amphibians. They have a website so check it out. I belong to the New England Aquarium Dive Club (NEADC). Just about any dive club has a dive calendar for shore and boat dives and also social events that really help a new diver such as yourself starting out get comfortable with the whole experience. I always think of diving like getting a drivers license. Just because you have a license doesn't mean you auttomatically know how to drive in ice or snow or fog. The only way is to get out and do it. Having experienced folks around will give you the opportunity to do different dives in different conditions and make you a better diver. There's a wealth of experience on this board so don't hesitate to ask.

Well, first off congrats on getting certified. There is a dive club in Attleboro called the Old Colony Amphibians. They have a website so check it out. I belong to the New England Aquarium Dive Club (NEADC). Just about any dive club has a dive calendar for shore and boat dives and also social events that really help a new diver such as yourself starting out get comfortable with the whole experience. I always think of diving like getting a drivers license. Just because you have a license doesn't mean you auttomatically know how to drive in ice or snow or fog. The only way is to get out and do it. Having experienced folks around will give you the opportunity to do different dives in different conditions and make you a better diver. There's a wealth of experience on this board so don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome to a new world! Mike here is spot on. That's how many of us learned to dive. There's no learning like doing and if you get hooked up with the right bunch of guys like I did you'll be setup for a lifetime of diving. If you find yourself in a club that has more social events than dives I'd advise you to rethink it:wink::D

As far as gear goes I'd spend money on regulator(s), mask and BC device whatever you find comfortable jacket or wing. I'd get a reg,mask and bc from a LDS they can service the reg and you have someone to go to if you have problems, the mask you want to try on. You'll pay more but IMO its money well spent. You want to breath, see, and float, other gear you can save a few bucks on by going the E-bay route. Used steel tanks that are in hydro are a good buy. If you pick the right gear you'll use some of all your life. I still use the same reg I bought in 1968,its been upgraded thru the years and since I dive LP tanks I still use it. Unfortunately both my dry suits shrunk over the years:D

If you want to drive to Newport RI PM me I try to dive every week at least once.

Back
Top Bottom