New to Diving, questions about my equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That gear should last you many years of enjoyable diving. I know how cool the FFM looks, but you will be rewarded by learning first with a standard setup. Everything I have read about the Sea Cure says it is the CURE for TMJ while diving. While I can't personally comment on that, I am eager to try it out next weekend. I still suggest the Ibuprofin before diving - it helps keep my jaw from hurting at least.

With regards to the Sea Cure - do a search here on Scubaboard for "Seacure" and read any of the dozens of posts extolling its virtues.

I agree it makes sense to try a standard setup first, you might find with the right mouthpiece or other tricks it is actually ok. You don't really know until you try some of this stuff. And if it turns out she needs the FFM it doesn't mean you have to dive with one.

I think if she is uncomfortable breathing through her mouth that is all the more reason to get used to it. If she were to get in a situation where she had to change from FFM to backup it would be made worse by not liking or being used to breathing through her mouth.

I dive with an AGA FFM and really like it. I have no experience with the Ocean Reef but have read several posts that are somewhat negative. Before your trip to Belize I suggest you spend a lot of pool or lake time practicing removing and replacing the FFM under water and practicing removing the FFM and switching to your octos and a regular mask until it becomes an easy routine. Otherwise, I have found the FFM to be a good way to go.

Yeah, we are going to learn traditional and once we have that down in a few months we will talk about FFM. AGA FFM is the way to go though. That seems to be the general concensus.

If you are made of money you can always look at the Kirby Morgan helmets! :)

I think you made a good choice. Joe at Scubatoys will take care of you. We got our gear yesterday and found out that I am actually a Medium not a Large when it comes to Oceanic gear - he is sending out a new BC in time for our dives next weekend and a return label. Scubatoys will have my business until they close their doors for good. (And if you are reading this, Joe, thanks again!!)

Yeah, so far I have been completely satisfied with their service. They even called me last night to confirm the changes before they started getting it all setup after I changed both packages to not include the FFM. And if the BC's don't fit they will get me a different size, so, how can you beat that!!! These guys are truely top notch and they have super good deals!

I wish that I was made of money, then I would just order two of those masks and have personal lessons from an instructor! For now, I will go traditional and learn that and then get a FFM for other types of diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom