New to diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would not use them in Bonaire, at least not as flip fins, for entry and exit.

Please elaborate. I received them last night and they look pretty good With a good fitting boot, why wouldn't these work? If its not a good option, I'm gonna send them back.

I would want full flex of my foot and no encumbrances on them other than boots for shore diving anywhere. One fall the wrong way and hopefully all you break is the hinge on the fin. You do get to look like Optimus Prime though. I use either Hollis F-1's, old aqualung blades, or HOG tech fins. A fin that folds like the flip fins is a fin that will break. Usually at the worst time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Please elaborate. I received them last night and they look pretty good With a good fitting boot, why wouldn't these work? If its not a good option, I'm gonna send them back.

I think the key is not using them for entry and exit. Most folks will have their boots on, maybe walk out in waist deep water, and then put their fins on. They should be fine if you use them that way I would think.

BDSC:
I think the key is not using them for entry and exit. Most folks will have their boots on, maybe walk out in waist deep water, and then put their fins on. They should be fine if you use them that way I would think.
Exactly. As I understand it, the whole idea of flip fins is to be able to walk in them, when you need to. For me, most / many shore entries in Bonaire are best managed in boots, where you can pick your way through the coral / rock until you get in waist / chest deep water, and put your fins on. In fact, the coral / rock is already slippery enough in boots with some tread on the soles. I can't imagine trying to navigate a Bonaire entry with a slick fin bottom between my foot and the coral / rock. Why pay more for flip fins, when you are better off with standard, open heel fins, carried into the water? I can say I have never seen anyone using flip fins in Bonaire. But, that may not mean much because I have only seen two people using them, anywhere, so my sample size is small.

Well for one there is not a slick bottom, the foot pocket does have some rubber on it with some grip, but I understand your point. Although after seeing them in person, I'm going to send them back and get some different ones.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking their thread and turning it into fins.

I agree that the prices are a little high.

I also wonder about the seller claiming that the Ranger is on the top of the list for BCs. What list? Different BCs are designed for different types of diving, and so there would theoretically be a lot of different lists of the best BCs for a particular purpose.

I think the Ranger is a good BC, although I would probably not put it at the top of any list.

You may want to wait until after your class seeing how your so new to diving. No offense but I cant imagine you would be able to make good equipment choices for scuba diving if your not a scuba diver. Part of OW is equipment.

You may want to wait until after your class seeing how your so new to diving. No offense but I cant imagine you would be able to make good equipment choices for scuba diving if your not a scuba diver. Part of OW is equipment.

None taken and I think that will be the route the wife and I take. I was looking at the advantage of taking classes and my ow dives in my own equipment. It would make me feel more comfortable on my own. No matter, our trip to Bonaire is through the LDS and I hope to have lots of local and friendly support throughout.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

To be honest you can buy brand new, basic set up with a entry level computer for $1385 and you get free part for life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom